Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Community reviews

Wearing two hats - I need advice please.

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Wearing two hats - I need advice please.

Hi Soloists,

Firstly, thank you so much to all the kind people that have helped me to 'dramatically' improve my website through this forum (I must say, I got a good bashing, however the feedback was taken on board and I am forever grateful - thank you).

I have a tricky business problem that I'm hoping someone could help me to think out of the box or solve. It is tricky, so I'll try to explain it the best I can.

If you went to my website www.genYadvantage.com.au --- you will figure out that it's about helping businesses with social media.

My problem...... my original business 'gen Y advantage' is about coaching. My specialty is in closing the intergenerational gap as well as coaching fellow gen Y's about adopting a strategic approach to their careers.

Therefore..... my Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook is all about this and not social media for small businesses.. (EEK!)

So I went from 'Hey, I'll coach you about gen Y, and I'll help gen Y with their careers' to 'I'm a gen Y, and I can help your business grow with my gen Y skills'.

I love coaching and my clients love the results they get from working with me however I noticed I was spending a lot of time behind a computer researching how to do certain things, exploring social media, using different online tools and marketing strategies and I fell in love with everything I found out there. I was blinded by how much tools there are to help businesses, the potential it had and I had the urge to want to help them in this area.

Yes, this is inconsistent and it's highly unprofessional.. I am putting my reputation on the line here as dare I hope my existing clients don't see my new website and what it's about.

My tricky business problem.. is there a way I can creatively amalgamate the two disciplines (coaching and social media) together without appearing like a 'jack of all trades'?

I love them both, however my clients and followers (when I did things the hard way) know me as 'gen Y advantage' ---coaching..... and other people on the interweb where I've trialled all the tools I've learnt, internet marketing, ebook sales etc.. know me as 'gen Y advantage'-------- social media person..

I love the idea of internet marketing and running a whole business online yet I'm afraid to give up the coaching as I have spent a lot of time and money training for this, I have (slowly) built a business around this and I feel that it can be waste to let it go.

I'm stuck for ideas, I don't know what to do. Can you please help?

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum fanatic

Default Re: Wearing two hats - I need advice please.

I dont think it will show you as a jack of all trades, these 2 concepts your proficient in do complement each other.
Add a menu item to your website.

Steve

A landline number that diverts to your mobile.
www.diverttomobile.com.au 02 9191 7300
The Following User Says Thank You to Divert To Mobile For This Useful Post:
gen Y advantage (26-06-12)
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Why not have a distinct division down the middle of the front page - 2 sections - one for Coaching, one for Social Media so that you can lead people to the right section.

Each section would still have the menu above, but would be clearly one or the other.

See the screen mockup attached. Just an idea.
I would move other information like About to your menu at top.
Don't have it on the home page.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Wearing two hats - I need advice please.-fs-gyadvantage.jpg  

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum devotee

Send a message via Skype™ to Shaukat Adam (Khalid)
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

once you get some experience, you will realise that your clients want to know what else you can do. they won't care too much about your competency or speciality as long as you are a great person to work with.

you start by positioning yourself as an expert in service X and once people come aboard, offer A,B,C etc.

in fact, many businesses don't educate their clients of the other services / products offered and not surprisingly, the customer goes elsewhere.

it's always easier to find many services to sell to existing customers than find many customers to sell existing services.

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 02-07-12
Forum regular

Thank you everyone for your advice! You've helped me come up with a solution that will give me the best of both worlds.

Much appreciated,

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Community reviews