1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

‘Community Reviews’: How things work around here.
    We invite you to canvas the views of the community on your OWN website, business idea, strategy or concept. If the community likes what you’re doing they’ll tell you. The opposite is also true, so be brave!

The more effort you put into your post, the more meaningful the feedback will be. For this reason, please ‘copy and paste’ the following questions into your post, along with your responses:
    1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

Note to reviewers: Always remember the Golden Rule of these forums: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it, and when being critical, be polite. Constructive criticism is welcomed. Destructive criticism, rudeness and anything outside the community guidelines will be removed with offenders risking a ban.

99 Design logo Poll: What is your favourite?

Discussion in 'Community reviews' started by Rico, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Rico

Rico Active Member

Hello everyone!

I need help. I need a new logo to be used on the web site and printed materials, and I started a contest on 99designs.com

For people that don't know this web site, this is how it works: you just write what you need, decide how much you want to pay, and designers from all over the world will fight to get the prize! It is an Australian web site (based in Melbourne) that is doing very well all over the world (no affiliations at all, I heard of them for the first time 2 weeks ago).

Anyway, they are submitting some really nice logs, and I organised a poll for you to vote. I'd really appreciate your help. I can also ask the designers to modify any detail, so if you have any suggestion I can pass it on.

I need something simple, easy to remember, in white/orange/black, but also suitable to be printed on termal labels (black and white)

This is the poll:
    http://99designs.com.au/logo-design/vote-l1tfk3

Thans
    Rico
  2. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

Hi Rico,

WOW some of those are really good.
    what did you set your budget at to attract that calibre of response?

NVM I see $299

Steve
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. Rico

Rico Active Member

AUD299 plus GST (being an aussie business of course they charge GST)

not the cheapest option out there, but the results are guaranteed. There are companies offering thousands of dollars on a design, usually a brochure but even a full page web site
  4. Rico

Rico Active Member

5. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

terrible thing to have dozens of great logos to choose from ;)

Steve
  6. bluepenguin

bluepenguin Well-Known Member

4 people like this.
  7. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

Your point?

They have taken a silhouette of a climber from a stock image and created a clever logo out of it. Should they have drawn the climber free hand?

People draw inspiration from many different sources.

Yes, you should be careful when using any designer that they haven't totally ripped somebody else work off. Any designer, not just competition sites.

But the fact that the silhouette of the climber comes from an actual photo of a climber is not that shocking.

I use a combo of designers and 99 designs when tasked with creating logo's for my clients, and 99 designs has given me better results each time, simply because of the variety.
  8. MatthewKeath

I use the next level and pay about $800 - $1000 for a logo from 99 designs. You find the quality and amount of entries really go up.
  9. Rico

Rico Active Member

thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, my budget was quite limited in this case, but I found out that if you go to invite designers you like (you can send up to 30 invites) and you keep sending feedbacks, you get lots of entries. This will not attract the top quoted designers usually, but in the quantity you can be lucky a nd get the good one.

I am not here to discuss about 99 designs. I think it is a very democratic way to act, the best designer wins, how simple is that? Anyone can enter.
    1 person likes this.
  10. MatthewKeath

I think it's a good way to go about it, your logo's look pretty good. I voted for my favourite and I hope it ends up at the one you choose!
  11. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

Yep, that's right, inspiration, but not copying 1:1.

At least I would be careful and check the copyright policies, istockphoto for example has the strict rule that no element of any of their images/vectors can be used for logo designs. I haven't looked at 999images' policy though.
    With reverse image search engines around it can get nasty. Can. Doesn't have to.
  12. websitedesigner

websitedesigner Well-Known Member

#43 looks great I voted, they all look really good.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of designers don't like 99 designs. But those results look great to me for the budget.
  13. BlackCoffeeComms

BlackCoffeeComms Active Member

voted :) but I had two I couldn't decide between
  14. adrian_gray

adrian_gray Member

First up, I agree that that the linked logo is exactly the same as the competition entry. I'm assuming it's the same person submitting both, and the first entry was not accepted and used. If I'm wrong, then it's a complete rip off, and a copyright violation.

Second, istockphoto can write whatever terms they want, and they control copyright over their images and vectors. But they have no legal grounds to stop people using their elements as source material for art. As long as the final product is different enough from the original it's all good.

Cheers
  15. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

Hi Adrian, I completely agree with you on your last paragraph. I think every designer does that. Back in the old days (before the Internet :D) we used magazines and books for inspiration.
    I was just warning against taking elements 1:1 out of any stockmaterial and use them in logos as in wysiwyg. Which you see a lot on 99designs and similar pages, at least with the cheaper offers.