1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

‘Community Reviews’: How things work around here.
    We invite you to canvas the views of the community on your OWN website, business idea, strategy or concept. If the community likes what you’re doing they’ll tell you. The opposite is also true, so be brave!

The more effort you put into your post, the more meaningful the feedback will be. For this reason, please ‘copy and paste’ the following questions into your post, along with your responses:
    1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

Note to reviewers: Always remember the Golden Rule of these forums: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it, and when being critical, be polite. Constructive criticism is welcomed. Destructive criticism, rudeness and anything outside the community guidelines will be removed with offenders risking a ban.

Another website updated

Discussion in 'Community reviews' started by kathiemt, Aug 18, 2012.

1. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

After chatting with a copywriter/marketing person earlier in the year, I was acutely aware of changes I needed to make to my site, which has been around since 1996. It's gone through lots of changes and I want to keep it fresh and up to date. This site has multiple users that can log in and create their own pages at a sub level so I'm not looking for feedback on sub pages.

The site is about Virtual Assistants and is meant to attract both Virtual Assistants to join our Network and also for clients to request for work to be done by Virtual Assistants. I also have training available and a couple of forums where VAs can mix and mingle with their peers. I think the new design makes that far more obvious from the home page.

The web address is http://www.vadirectory.net.

Thank you.
  2. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

Looks good Kathie I like it.

Steve
  3. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

I like it. Very clean and easy to read. Kudos.
  4. Blue Jet

Blue Jet Active Member

Lovely website I like it.

Maybe the logo, make the writing orange instead of white and get rid of the orange background.

Great website easy to navigate...
  5. kathiemt

Thanks everyone. Cathie, I could resize the header space a bit so that the logo doesn't force the menu to shift. I've asked a graphic designer to redo it for me so it looks better.

When you say a more personal tone for the headers, what do you mean specifically? My target market are any business operator who is needing admin/virtual secretarial support of some nature. Most people know what a Virtual Assistant or VA is these days. I am targeting both clients who need VA support and VAs who need more clients. So I have a twin set client base really.
  6. Zava Design

Zava Design Well-Known Member

Are you wanting (and can handle) some honest, constructive feedback from a professional designer?
  7. Uncomplicating

Uncomplicating Well-Known Member

I like it for the most part, but as others have said, the logo top left is "not right".

If I was in hypercritical commercial software developer mode and critiquing work done for me, I'd say there are too many font variations. The main text in grey looks like verdana, while the menu on the right looks like arial and that the large font used for "A Virtual Assistant network...etc." looks rather "blocky", almost as though it's not a true type font.

VA support page has 2 login boxes in different fonts.

The use of capital letters on the home page is conconsistent.

Using chrome there's a drawing bug in the clock on the right hand side so blue blocks appear.

The top menu structure seems a little odd. Personal preference is for drop menus to show options rather than being clickable themselves.

Mouse over on a menu item turns it white if that's the active page. E.g. Click on "About", then mouse over the menu items under About.

That all sounds terrible, but it's really only minor stuff that pedantic software people like me notice. I rather like it actually.
  8. kathiemt

Thanks Stuart. I purchased a theme and have been modifying it, but haven't changed the fonts in the css at all. Perhaps I should look at that. I don't have chrome so haven't seen it in that, perhaps I need to get it. I do have IE and Firefox and have viewed it in both. Trying to find a widget I could use for the clock was a challenge as there didn't seem to be any out there that really did what I wanted and unfortunately, I'm neither a programmer nor a graphic designer.

From what I can see the theme was created with two fonts but my banner at the top doesn't really help with that. I must hurry the graphic designer who was going to create a new one for me.

Thanks for picking up on the capitlisation. Will fix that.

I think all the drop menus in the Genesis software operate that way. My husband was showing me the other day how a newspaper one works and said he thought how mine is set up is strange but I've seen so many sites like that I hadn't really thought about it.

At any rate, I'm keen to pick up the annoying things or things that don't gell so that the majority of visitors will see it as a site that is pleasing to view and easy to navigate.
  9. kathiemt

That depends - if you see my response to Stewart and your constructive feedback takes into consideration what I've done, then yes, I'm happy to hear it.
  10. Zava Design

Zava Design Well-Known Member

Then that's likely a no. As with any clients I work with, I'm constructive, but I'm also very honest with them.
  11. kathiemt

Understood. I didn't design the theme so while I can make some changes via css for fonts, colours, etc I'm not likely to be able to change the structure with my limited knowledge of coding. But all the same I was seeking feedback here so I could make changes to any obvious problems and wanted to make sure navigation was easy and the site could be viewed in different browsers with no problems.