1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Anyone using google apps?

Discussion in 'Talking technology' started by TasIT, Mar 13, 2012.

1. TasIT

TasIT New Member

I am curious to know how many people out there are using the paid version of Google Apps.

I am interested because we are currently evaluating the Google Apps Certified Reseller program.

Would love to hear from some paid users about their experiences so far.

Cheers,

Tas
  2. clintmaher

clintmaher Active Member

Hi Tas,

One of my companies use it. It rocks.

Keeps everything in one place, keeps your IP secure (well, more secure), and eliminates a tonne of double handling on data entry.

If an employee leaves you can cut their access off right away.

Cheers,

Clint
  3. Dardee

Dardee Active Member

It's great. I love it.

Wouldn't operate a business without it.
  4. canberraplanner

canberraplanner New Member

Love it. Integrates beautifully with all my Android devices and my home office MS Outlook like a corporate Exchange server with the sync tool.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  5. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Active Member

Yep, paid version. I also get most of my clients to use it because it just works.
  6. SmallBusinessWorks

SmallBusinessWorks Active Member

Interesting, we use google docs a bit for easy cloud based doc exchange but what does google apps replace for you guys and in what size organization?
  7. Dardee

Dardee Active Member

I use it for email and document collaboration.

The email side of things makes it so easy to run multiple email addresses on an iphone. Because you can have them all "funnel" through one email address you can set that as your imap account (since the iphone only lets you have 1) and so all your email accounts sync all the time. The Groups function is great as well. We set up specific email addresses for our clients to email to via the Groups which allows us to set multiple recipients of that particular email address and we can also send from that address as well. It effectively gives you an unlimited number of email accounts (aliases, but going to multiple recipients).

And because there are so many Apps in the Google Apps marketplace it is easy to find packages that enhance your business by allowing you to work smarter and more efficiently. eg being able to set tasks in project management apps directly from your email.

There is no way I am ever going back to Outlook etc. I would lose so much functionality.

Oh, forgot to mention this is for my bookkeeping business with 6 different users.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. websitedesigner

websitedesigner Well-Known Member

We use it but not the paid version there is a big disconnect with their payment model I think. They try to hide the free version which seems unlike google. I can't see much reason why someone would choose the paid version over the free unless they didn't know about the free version.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?j1um4p
  9. Dardee

Dardee Active Member

Comparison of Free v Paid.

I need the mailbox space. And as I mentioned in my previous reply the Groups function allows us to work smarter.
  10. websitedesigner

I'm not familiar with the groups how do they work?

I don't think I close to hitting the space limit for email but I didn't port my old emails over (which hasn't been a problem I was surprised at how rarely you need to dig through old emails I think I only had to go back into outlook 3 or 4 times).
  11. CloudLogic

CloudLogic New Member

Why we only recommend the paid version for businesses:
    1. No adverts
    2. 99.9% uptime guarantee
    3. Ability to sync email/calendar/contacts/tasks with Outlook
    4. 24x7 phone support from Google

And its still only $50 per user per year. Having the peace of mind that if your email does ever go down you can pick up the phone and talk direct to Google, plus not seeing adverts beside your email, are worth that alone to many businesses.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  12. websitedesigner

Keeping in mind that we are talking about micro and small businesses her, in response to that, I would say:

1. Ads in gmail are no problem for me, ads are everywhere and services that relate to what you are discussing won't necessarily worsen the experience. They are on Google all day with ads what's the difference? I dont think the ads should be (or really are) a concern for most small businesses.
    2. Google apps (free) has never gone down as far as I know while I have been using it. They are extremely reliable. Its google! 10x more reliable than your average host. I don't know if there is data on the uptime on the free vs paid I'd be surprised if it was much different. What exactly does the guarantee mean? You get your money back if it goes down? Why not just not pay in the first place.
    3. I've never had to call them. The only questions I think people would generally have would be usage type questions - I.e. how do you add an email account etc. these questions can be asked of your IT support or if you are skilled in using their search engine or help there are easy answers to these questions. I guess its not much money and if you want the support (assuming they offer a good support service for these types of questions) then go for it, but unnecessary for a lot of users I think.

Personally on Outlook I think small businesses have a mindset that it's a good product and necessary for business. But really it's an average way to access email I think. Why have outlook installed when you can have the same experience, a better experience, without software for free from any computer. After switching I'd never go back to outlook. It's kind of like comparing Xero with MYOB (although probably not quite that drastic).

I know we see things differently on this. My point is I don't think Google have done a good job with this product as a 'freemium' type product. Compare this with dropbox or mail chimp. They promote the free product (as opposed to hiding it), they get people addicted to its awesomeness, then they present a compelling offer to upgrade (more space, more features, more subscribers etc). Not 'the free version might go down'.
  13. openxcellaus

openxcellaus New Member

This is not my first go at Google Apps. I used it as my primary personal email from 2007 until last year. And I also use sometime Google Docs apps.
  14. Uncomplicating

Uncomplicating Well-Known Member

I've used gmail for the last 6 years, although I keep being tempted to move to the paid version. I had a brief flirtation with OpenOffice and Thunderbird when I was having a saving money fad, but it didn't last very long, and I soon bought Office and went back to Gmail.

It's simply too good and too easy and too in the cloud to do anything else.
  15. Safe Skies

Safe Skies Member

So with google apps can I use my name@businessname email address? And if I go over to apps will it export all my outlook into it address and things, I also use iPhone and the calender is there an app for my phone with all this on, I like the idea of all my emails being in sync, at present I have an iPad, iPhone and Mac and they are not sync..

Help?
  16. Uncomplicating

Uncomplicating Well-Known Member

A Gmail account allows you to get mail from mulitple accounts. Once it's in gmail, there's apps for iphone and android etc.

You'll need to manually port address book information from outlook to your gmail contact list I think.
  17. websitedesigner

All your emails will be in sync with google, you just use the standard mail app on the iPad iPhone etc and configure them to talk to your google account - super easy just one email and password. You can keep calendars and contacts synced as well.
  18. canberraplanner

canberraplanner New Member

Google Apps is basically built in to Android, it's so seamlessly integrated it's changed my life.. I don't know how anything could be out of sync on iOS, you'd think Apple would have that nailed (and wrapped up in patents).

Calendars.... Hmmmm. They have honestly, changed our life.. Seamlessly across all our Android devices and Web... Brilliant.

I do think the outlook sync is worth it.. Not sure what else you get for the paid version though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
  19. Sholto_BoxFreeIT

Sholto_BoxFreeIT New Member

Google told me that the paid and free versions of Google Apps run on the same infrastructure. They just give it a guaranteed SLA with the paid version.
  20. Neil Ruthers

Neil Ruthers New Member

Yes we use it, and help other use it. Its a great stable platform, that allows us to access our information from anywhere. Beats office anyday, so much more affordable for small startups.

Cloud Assist
    Google Apps for Business