1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Anyone using Pinterest?

Discussion in 'Talking technology' started by Stuart B, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

I've started having a bit of a play around with it and it's fun. But is anyone using it as part of their social strategy?

I'm reading a lot of articles raving about how good it is for businesses.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Couple It

Couple It Well-Known Member

I played around with it for ten minutes and realised that (for me at least) it would a big time waster...enjoyable, but a time waster lol

Wendy :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. websitedesigner

websitedesigner Well-Known Member

I signed up, I think I'm in love.
    1 person likes this.
  4. The Copy Chick

The Copy Chick Well-Known Member

I set up an account about a month back and decided to make a board for my Facebook Fan of the Week. Now it may just be coincidence, but since then my active fans have doubled and I've had more likes, comments and shares than ever before.

It will be interesting to see if that trend stays steady, drops off, or continues to increase.

Given that about 20% of my paid work comes through Facebook, I'll also be interested to see if that increase of fan activity translates to an increase in job queries.
    2 people like this.
  5. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

I had a page, but the terms and conditions worried me too much so I deleted it. There are articles in the ether discussing the whole thing, this is one of them:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/pint...just-like-every-other-social-networking-site/

Apparently you're not meant to pin your stuff but if you pin other people's stuff you run the risk of being sued. If you're sued then you have to engage a lawyer for Pinterest and pay their costs. Doesn't matter whether you win or lose you still pay Pinterest's costs.

It sounds like a legal minefield.
    2 people like this.
  6. The Copy Chick

Yeah.. this is a worry. It's why I'm sticking to "Fan of the Week" - if anyone has an issue with me pinning their company logo, at least they'll know about it and can let me know.

I've not really added anything more to my other boards since the whole copyright thing was raised... while I would have thought most people would appreciate the free publicity, I can understand how photographers and the like would get upset.

Really though, surely in this day and age you have to accept that if you put it on the internet it's liable to be fair game. It may not be fair, but it's the unfortunate reality.

Rather than trying to sue the pants off of everyone, they need to be thinking up better ways of ensuring the original content creator gets recognition and financial compensation if need be.
    2 people like this.
  7. Insure4U

Insure4U Member

I have an account with pinterest. But I don't know yet how it will help me when it comes to social media strategy.
  8. Shaukat Adam (Khalid)

Shaukat Adam (Khalid) Well-Known Member

All i can say is dont chase shiny objects. there is a difference between leads and sales.

there are people who are still making a lot of money via direct mail and telemarketing. the only difference is that they have a multi step sales programme.

same goes for online media. focus on one or 2 platforms and then learn how to connect, engage and convert leads. dig deep. dont spread urself thin.

just dont get distracted. even though the majority dont know how to monetise facebook and linkedin, there are those who do like copychick.

remember, it's not the media that makes you money. It's your message that is catered to your niche market via the right media that turns prospects into profitable clients.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    3 people like this.
  9. The Copy Chick

+1 this >

1 person likes this.
  10. websitedesigner

Yes but not everything is about making money. I don't think I make a cent using social media but I'll keep using it.
    2 people like this.
  11. Shaukat Adam (Khalid)

Shaukat Adam (Khalid) Well-Known Member

fair enough. i completely understand. i am not on FS, facebook and linkedin to make money either but i am consciously aware of this.

others think that they can make money without have a clue about strategy and tactics. that is just running life and business on hopium.

you can see that this forum is full of "should i be on _______" and "i've tried _______________ but it doesn't work. what else can i try? or asking non direct marketers to "rate my flyer/website/ad/fan page/blog/etc" OSTTE.

i can honestly say almost everyone thinks a certain media will make them money.

it's like sitting in a car without having knowledge about driving and think it's going to get you some where. when it doesnt move or it crashes, the person wonders if they should try a motorcycle/helicopter/plane/hot air balloon instead.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. websitedesigner

Yeah that makes sense.

I think if your overall strategy (for what of a better word) is to generate traffic to your site and build a following and some authority and convert some of these people to customers (which is what mine is) then you tend to spend time in a lot of places, partly because you enjoy it and partly because it helps with your goal in some way. That's how I see it anyway. It's not particularly scientific but I'll do pretty much anything to avoid traditional advertising and this model works for me. Plus Pinterest looks so damn sexy!
    3 people like this.
  13. flower-child

flower-child Active Member

I outsource most of my SM, so for me Pinterest is going to be a hobby - have signed up for an account, but need to get some $ making tasks out of the way first ;)
  14. @HeatherSmithAU

@HeatherSmithAU Active Member

15. bridiej

bridiej Well-Known Member

Nope, I didn't add any code to my website, just the Digg-Digg plugin that allows you to add a Pinterest share button...
  16. T J Madigan

T J Madigan Active Member

17. AussiePin.com.au

AussiePin.com.au New Member

Pinterest is definitely under-used by Aussies. Why do you think that's so? Only 1.8% of it's members are Australians, although there are many Aussie companies that have opened up accounts on Pinterest.

It's definitely a great social network. I've just completed the process of being the first one to set something similar to Pinterest here in Australia. The development had just completed this month, and we're ready to rock it :)

I guess it would much better serve local businesses, as it's targeted to the Australian public, something Pinterest is lacking, I believe.

In regards to the issues with copyrights, it's always a good idea to pin pictures from the original artists' websites. If you're thinking of doing backlinks/promotions to your site on Pinterest, then you should find pictures that will not get you into copyright issues (ideally make your own pictures).

Best Regards,

David K - Founder of Aussie Pin
  18. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

Isn't AussiePin really just a copy of what Pinterest is though? It looks very similar to me. Won't it get you into trouble?

I am on Pinterest and enjoy it but don't spend a lot of time on it. However I do find that a lot of my own photos get pinned and I see that on Twitter. Happy for that to happen as it gives me exposure as a Nature Photographer - a happy past time that I wouldn't mind making some income from sometime.
    1 person likes this.
  19. thewpguy

thewpguy New Member

My experience with social media is that I have made my whole business from scratch using it. So for me yes social media has made me a reasonable amount of money, certainly a living.
    Its not necessarily a tweet and you have a sale but the referral network you build over time is accelerated compared to traditional network building.

Also so many serendipities can occur if you just engage with the social media community. For example the only reason I even found flyingsolo at all was via a twitter face to face meetup with 2 other people one of which was on a panel at fylingsolo live 2 weeks later so I bought a ticket and now have been to 2 of them and met countless people here also.

I think pinterest is so different from the others it will give you a different market segment to add more width to the sales funnel so I use it when I remember to and have had direct enquiries from quite random non business related 'pins'. I also know from twitter and facebook that its a slow burn sales generator, people will watch you and make a decision slowly about whether they want to work with you or not.

I say try it use it and learn from it for at least 6 months before making a decisions of whether its good or not.
  20. My Wedding Concierge

My Wedding Concierge Active Member

I agree with the above post, Aussie Pin looks almost identical to Pinterest to me, even down to the style of buttons etc...
    In any case personally I can't understand why Aussies would be compelled use an Aussie/Pinterest clone when it seems that it does basically the same thing?

Seems like you would just be segmenting yourself from the larger Pinterest community for the sake of using and Aussie Pinterest? Just my opinion.