1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Back-Office software and management tips

Discussion in 'Starting your journey' started by Flyingbandit, May 14, 2014.

1. Flyingbandit

Flyingbandit Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to FlyingSolo and am starting up my own business. I have no previous management or business experience.
    I was hoping people may shed some light on efficient back-office management:
    - Accounting/billing software: Best cost-effective cloud-based software? Saasu? Xero? Quickbooks? Are there any which integrate into a website to make it much more automated? One where clients may log on and purchase?
    - CRM software: Best one available? Can it be integrated with the accounting/billing software?
    - Employee/ Human resources Management software?
    - Business management software?

Any other tips you have to help configure the business in a very cost-effective, space-efficient, integrated and seamless approach.

Thanks!
  2. PerfectNotes-Kathy

PerfectNotes-Kathy Active Member

Hi,

I know you will find threads on accounting software and CRMs if you do a search. I am not sure about HR software - most of us start small and so don't need that for a while. And I'm not sure what you mean by business management software.

I would start by looking for an accounting/CRM setup that works for you - once that is sorted out, the answers to the other options will be clearer.

HTH
    Kathy
  3. FalzonFinancial

FalzonFinancial Member

Depending on the functionality you require but many cloud accounting packages integrate with CRM software and eCommerce.

For instance, Intuit's (creator of Reckon) QuickBooks Online integrates with Zoho CRM and Shopify (eCommerce) to make data entry more seamless.

Feel free to contact us for further assistance.
  4. Rhys

Rhys Active Member

Hi there, you have raised questions to which there are a very broad range of answers. I'm going to put up a few general comments, but if you wanted to narrow these down to something more specific you'll need to provide more detail about your business.

Any of the accounting solutions you mention may be able to meet your needs, as would one of the products offered by MYOB. The thing you will need to do is to narrow this down by looking at the functionality you need in your business, and comparing that with the features offered by each of the available solutions. I wrote a series of articles on this topic which were published on this site last year, here is a link to the one that looked at defining your needs.

Similarly with CRM software, you need to define what you need and then review the (many) options available. If you do go for one of the cloud accounting options (which is probably a good idea, but needs first / solution second) you will find that there a range of CRMs that will auto sync. We use a CRM that is integrated with our workflow management solution (Work Flow Max), but what works for us may not work for you, it really depends on needs.

And again for HR. Many smaller businesses do not use any HR solution, I have chosen to do so because I figure the value delivered is far less than the cost. I use a product called enableHR, which is a cloud based solution that integrates with Xero and a number of other solutions.

Business Management solution. This is a really broad question, to which my answer is it depends what you want to manage. Some businesses need to manage inventory, others need to manage jobs or projects. You mention integration with a website, but not what you are selling - products (in which case you might need an order fulfillment / inventory control solution) or services (in which case you are more likely to need a workflow management solution).

There are lots of great solutions available today for small businesses that do so much more than just compliance - they provide tools to help you manage your business more efficiently, help you provide better services to your clients and so on. But you need to define your needs in some detail to figure out what will work best for you.

Not sure if any of that is of any help to you at all! But it is great that you are looking at these issues now, when you are starting your business rather than at some point in the future when you realise your business is flying blind.

Happy to add further comments to this thread if you think they might help, or feel free to contact me directly if that works for you. Good luck with the new business,

Cheers, Rhys
    1 person likes this.
  5. Lucinda Lions

Lucinda Lions Active Member

Hi Flyingbandit

You've received some comprehensive answers so far, and I don't have any specific answers for you...just wanted to take a moment to officially welcome you to the Flying Solo forums!

Love your forum name.

Look forward to seeing you around the site!
    Lucinda :)
  6. rob.aspirus

rob.aspirus Member

Hello Flyingbandit,

I've had a look at the replies so far. They all have good advice, but maybe not something concrete for you to grab. It's hard to help without knowing what you're planning with your business.

I'm happy to help, but I'd need to chat with you.

No obligations or commitments - just a genuine offer to help you get on the right track.

Regards,
    Rob