1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Buisness name ideas for fashion store?

Discussion in 'Starting a business' started by t2gt2011, Feb 2, 2011.

1. t2gt2011

t2gt2011 New Member

How is everyone with names? i am hopeless and its doing my head in.
    I will be selling ladies fashion sizes from 6-24, Im trying to find something simple like stores that are already out there city chic, crossroads, jeans west jays jays etc.. Any ideas? I was trying to think of words that meant for everyone or something along those line.. eek so hard.
  2. AdvancedPetSitting

AdvancedPetSitting Active Member

3. Ainsley

Ainsley Member

This might not seem helpful but I was once told by a graphic designer that good names can be found by pairing a colour and a verb or noun. It is a way of creating meaningless but interesting company names that once used enough, people will just associate it with your brand, and not 'see' the weird phrase used.

Like: Red Monkey, Eagle Blue, Neon Sky, Walking Sage ... Yes random but that was his theory!
  4. JenD

JenD New Member

Oh Bless you Ainsley! I've been beating my head against a mind map for weeks! I'm going to give this a go tonight :)

Jen
  5. Ainsley

Ainsley Member

Haha! Great!... All the best with it. Let me know if either of you decide on something and register it.
  6. CarFanatic

CarFanatic New Member

Hi,

have a look at http://www.googleeasysearch.com
    and you can see what people are looking for in google.
    This might help you pick a name that people are looking for on the net.

Once, you worked out a name, you want to Trademark that name as quickly as possible. I've have several friends goto court because someone traded under their trading name. This expensive and time consuming litigation could have been prevented with a Trademark.

In Australia, to register a trade mark, goto
    http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/index.shtml
  7. RinSydney

RinSydney New Member

Who is your target market? Is it for everyone young and old? Is the positioning up-market or price competitive?

For example, ezibuy.com.au has fashion for all ages, but the name screams "affordable". Whereas net-a-porter.com sounds quite "upmarket". Maybe think about what image you want your brand name to portray and then go from there?
  8. Golfing Director

Golfing Director New Member

Re: Business name ideas for fashion store?

This is a method that I have used myself and it often comes up with a great name.

Write down several names and then to go a thesaurus and look at the synonyms and antonyms.

These days you don't even have to own a thesaurus, just go to http://thesaurus.com/.

I hope this helps you.
  9. V4W

V4W Member

Hello,

If you are going to have an online presence - I would suggest having a look at Google's Keyword Tool, type in a list of the key words that will best describe your product and see what words people are searching for on Google. From there try and incorporate a strong keyword into your brand name.

I would then suggest choosing your top 5 and do a little market research - such as conduct an online survey (www.surveymonkey.com), ask your friends and family, or by joining a forum about ladies' fashion and ask them what they think of your names.

I also agree with RinSydney - you really need to know where you want to position yourself and your brand, and ideally who your core target market is.

Good luck.
  10. JacquiPryor

JacquiPryor Well-Known Member

Fantastic tip... At that website (IP Australia) - you can also access the trademarks database, which will allow you to do some basic searches when you have a short list of names to ensure they are not already registered. Not only is it a good idea to register your name to ensure you don't end up in court over other people using your trading name - you also don't want to end up there because you have started using a name that someone else owns!
  11. peteract

peteract New Member

Believe it or not, the name doesn't have to be trendy, as long as the product is good.

e.g. if you had a bookstore you could name it after a large South American river (no relevance to books whatsoever)

If you had a search engine you could name it after a higher mathematical term

What's the biggest auction site? eBay doesn't tell you anuthing about the site.
    Similarly Godaddy tells you nothing about buying domains.

I could go on and on (McDonalds?), but I think you get my point.

Thinking of Godaddy, how about Go-mummy or Go-girly? I am woman?
    The clothes horse?

But as you can see, I'm a man, so what would I know?
  12. ranoa

ranoa New Member

Haha great point... I completely agree that the name is not as important as the product/service itself. However, it does help to have a catchy name, not only for it's "recall" factor when customers remember the company or refer you onto others, but also because in this day and age, the Internet has in some ways made our search habits more primitive, so relevance plays a factor when people search for you.

Overall some great ideas presented on this thread that I'll definitely be considering when thinking of a new name. However, you can also try websites such as the following, where for a small fee, more creatively inclined individuals can do the brainstorming for you after providing them with a brief:

http://99designs.com/logo-design/store
    http://www.hatchwise.com/index.php

I believe they're called "brainstorming sessions" :)

All the best!
  13. t2gt2011

t2gt2011 New Member

So true, ive never looked at it like that.. But its true, i never really look at a name and say oh they sell this or that, its the weird name that makes me look into it. I think i actually prefer it like that, like places like go-lo just makes me think cheap. I dont want my stuff to sound cheap by having a name that screams afordable.. I know thats what alot of people look for, but i dont, and i know alot of people now are the same. So much cheap stuff out there that falls to pieces, i prefer to pay extra on stuff for it to last. I also sell a variety, if i order something and its not that great im very honest with the description and what i would pay, whereas some stuff is much better quality... wow i think i need to go to bed im talking alot.
    thanks for that advice :)
  14. ideaswoman

ideaswoman Member

When choosing a business name, make sure the following are also available:

• Domain name
    • Facebook name
    • Twitter name
    • Gmail name would be handy
    • Keyword domain name is also a good idea
    • eBay ID/Store name

Then check the name you have chosen is not similar to a competitor's name - you may end up sending repeat business their way for nothing.

I am not into 'artsy' names as you see many graphic designers use - Purple Lime, Pink Chilli, Green Dog. Maybe it is meant to show imagination but it does not work for me.

One word names are brilliant. I own klik.com.au for when I get back into professional photography.

Hope this helps!
  15. Sweeke

Sweeke New Member

I agree with ideaswoman, in particular if you are looking at developing an online presence. Please make sure that you do a domain search as part of your naming process - before you register it.

I know of quite a few businesses that have been caught out and jumped straight in and registered a name, only to find out that someone else has the domain name they wanted. It can be an expensive exercise. I was doing a domain name search for a business name I was looking a using and found the .com was parked but available for sale. However after enquiring, I recieved a reply for the domain name with a price of over $16,000 USD. Not happy jan. Happy hunting!