1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

call diversion from landline

Discussion in 'Talking technology' started by chrismo, Sep 10, 2009.

1. chrismo

chrismo New Member

Hoping someone can help me out with a phone issue.

I have a landline connection for my business with Optus. I want to be able to divert my phone to another phone number (i use a local phone answering service/virtual assistant rather than voicemail so my customers can leave a message with a real person that knows my business). I can divert the phone without it ringing. But I want it to ring maybe 5 times then divert, in case i forget to put on the diversion or have just stepped out of the room.

Optus tells me this can't be done. But I reckon in this day and age there must be some way to do it? I was thinking maybe there are some handsets or something that might be able to do this?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Christine
  2. shane

shane New Member

we do this with our landlines at one of our sites....though we're with Telstra...maybe it's the same I dont know....

Try this...

*61__________# (where _____ is the number to divert to)
    That'll divert after approx 20 secs.....Though like I said, we're with Telstra....

To cancel: #61#

If all else fails, change to Telstra... :)
  3. peppie

peppie Active Member

Then if they say so it probably can't be done within Optus, they may just simply not have the technology set up to be able to do it.

Such a thing can be done in my Mynetfone internet phone service. I can for instance redirect my Optus line to the Mynefone line, that could then redirect to my mobile but only after a specfic time/number of rings. Or I can redirect it to the Mynetfone message service that then emails me a voice recording.

If I am on holiday I could redirect everything to that one same message service that I can then pick up on the internet at night. Or I could even take my internet phone adapter box with me, plug it into the internet up country and act as if I am still in Sydney at my desk.
  4. KeepitSimpleIT

KeepitSimpleIT Member

Great advice they have given.

There are easier ways to do all of this...... much easier ways.

yes Optus can do it, the person you are speaking to is focused on sales, not customer service! typical and not unusual.

Regards,
    Glenn
  5. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

Years ago I wanted to do this and it couldnt be done till Telstra introduced the service.
    In the meantime I used my mobile as my business call and land line for private.
    My customers got used to calling the one number and it was answered. I was able to divert my mobile to my landline but not my landline to my mobile.
    Now work that one out.I too am frustrated with Optus.
  6. KeepitSimpleIT

KeepitSimpleIT Member

Burgo is making me think right now that if he wanted to sell his business, he would have to potentially sell the mobile number as well????

My suggestion is to focus on hosted phone systems, they are low cost. That way you get all the functionality you need cheaply and you also have a succession plan in place. Specifically you can operate from anywhere, have the professional "feel" as a company, yet still work from home. It actually costs less than traditional line rental does! lol

Also note to Burgo, love the website, nice work.

Cheers,
    Glenn
  7. pado

pado Member

previous business i have run have used expensive phone systems with telstra spending well over $500 a month on phone calls because of 1300 numbers.

My new business has just got onto hosted pbx using ip phones (In simpler terms using voip for calls but still getting the functionality of a big company phone system including press '1' for .. etc with message bank after certain rings, call forwarding)

Its fantastic for about $50 a month we have 4 lines, two phones, answering service, personal on hold music and 10c untimed national calls. Has saved us a fortune and helps our small business look more professional. The company we used is www.mytel.net.au but there are other ones out there. search google for "hosted pbx"
  8. KeepitSimpleIT

KeepitSimpleIT Member

Very amusing.

The solution I spoke of is Mytel.

I am a Mytel partner and with 19 years experience in the game, they are red hot.

However if you do seriously consider this option, be helpful to speak to someone like myself for a bit of free advice before hand.

There are others, but the setup for these guys is really cheap and the quality is all there.

Great to see another Mytel fan!

Cheers,
    Glenn
  9. MCards

MCards New Member

Hi Glen, so do you use mytel at the back-end for your "Home Office Phone service" offer? Sounds very good, thank pado and KeepitSimpleIT for sharing this tip. I need to set one up at some point next year.
  10. GregMarr

GregMarr New Member

Hi

It's probably overkill for what you need but I've previously used a service by CallManager (http://callmanager.com.au/) to provide our customers with the ability to route their incoming calls in pretty much any way they want (e.g. time of day routing, call 'hunting' , ringing multiple destination numbers etc.) Without exception, our customers have been impressed by what CallManager have been able to do for them.

It depends what you're looking to do as to whether you can justify the cost but the functionality of this service is comparable (and in some cases superior) to commercial IVR/ACD (i.e. Call Routing) systems worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just another option.....

(Note: Venix does not have a commercial relationship with CallManager)
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  11. Jake@EmroyPrint

Jake@EmroyPrint Well-Known Member

I use Skype.

It's great quality, and incredibly affordable ($10 month - Unlimited local calls Australia wide).

I also pay $15 per 3 months for a line number.

Skype has great functionality... I have it set up so if there is no answer after 10 rings it diverts to my mobile. If there is no answer on my mobile, it diverts back to Skype Voice mail ... Which I can check on my mobile while I'm about and about, or when I'm back in the office.
  12. peppie

peppie Active Member

13. Adam Randall

Adam Randall Member

We use a digital PBX called Trixbox which is a Asterisk variant.

We have one Telstra line coming into our office, if its busy it automatically diverts to the master VOIP number with Internode.

This gives us a total of 4 lines coming in and going out, the client only ever has to remember one number.

Internode charge $20 per month for a VOIP account & it comes with the ability for 2 concurrent lines (3 if you include the telstra line)
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  14. VideoTraining

VideoTraining Member

Just in case this topic hasn't been done to death quite enough just yet... :)

I used a solution that combined software from 3cx.com and also a LINKSYS 3102 VOIP ROUTER ($100 on eBay) - this allows you to configure voice mail, email voice mails to you, record a custom welcome message and divert to another number after a number of rings.

This is a great solution if you have a PC or server that always runs - plug the box in, configure the software and you are away.

Good luck.

Tony Morris
    www.DVDcoach.com
    Online Computer Training Made Easy