1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Call me old fashioned, but...

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by Leisa D, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Leisa D

Leisa D Active Member

How would you finish the sentence?

Here's mine: I prefer text messages to contain full, correctly spelled words.

Now that we have smart phones with querty keyboards, it would be "gr8" if we could ditch the shortcuts.
    2 people like this.
  2. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

... I cant stand it when people use "then" in stead of "than"
  3. Steve_Minshall

Steve_Minshall Well-Known Member

......I don't want to see the branding on your under-pants.

.....please remember the friends of your friends also get to see your vulgar language and read about your sexual/drunken exploits on Facebook

..... I believe we don't need to make reality TV programs about pregnant school girls

.... I cringe when I hear the word 'but' as the last word of a sentence instead of 'though'.
    1 person likes this.
  4. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

instead :)
    3 people like this.
  5. JohnTranter

JohnTranter Well-Known Member

This is one of my pet hates.

Does anyone else remember when there were marketing campaigns along the lines of "sign up 10 of your friend's emails and receive a free xyz"? I've read the riot act to a few people for using my email address on those!
  6. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

I like to use the space bar alot :)

Steve
  7. bluewoodstudio

bluewoodstudio Active Member

8. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

I can't stand it when other companies try to put down competing companies in a bid to make themselves look better. The products or services that you offer should do the talking.
    1 person likes this.
  9. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

Hate it when people use 'prolly'. Sometimes I shout at the computer.
  10. Matt Hanson

Matt Hanson New Member

Just for a laugh, I have a family member who speaks this way on facebook. Her mother is the same. I always have a laugh in bewilderment, but I enjoy working out the message too!

A message from the wall (name removed for privacy reasons)

"spendin the last hours wiv the famz b4 they fly out to nyt hmm big dae ahead gunna miss yues soo much [names removed] p.s how can i get this plane delayd like for EVA lolz xxxx"
  11. adrian

adrian Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    3 people like this.
  12. joanbell

joanbell New Member

I absolutely cannot stand it when otherwise intelligent people use the words BOUGHT and BROUGHT in the wrong context. I have heard prominent politicians, ABC radio/TV announcers, so called 'gurus' and 'personalities' as well as friends and relatives fall for this common 'trend'.

For the information of those who don't know the difference

I bought a new dress and brought it over to show you.....rather than I brought a new dress .....

Oddly enough these same people seem to have trouble with the letter 'r' in general. It is added or missed out of many other words. Poperty instead of Property is one such example.

Surely it can't just be me and my partner that notice this?

marketingweb Active Member

I hate it when people write teh instead of the, seemingly on purpose.

I makes no sense to me why you would, but i know a couple people who do it regularly, so it's not just a typo!
    1 person likes this.
  14. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

:D. I'm a trained typist and I always type my text messages in full. My youngest (26) laughs at me and tells me my training shows. I think that's a good thing too.

I'm also hot on email, especially with my Virtual Assistant team. I remind them their written (typed) word is on show 24/7 and that they should always conduct themselves professionally online.

I particularly hate it when I've sent an email, or posted a message online and come back to read it later and realise there's a typo.

On my VA forum we often play word games and it's interesting to learn the different meanings of words (let alone different spellings) from country to country.
    1 person likes this.
  15. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly with this point. Everything a small business owner does online, whether it be business-related or not is a reflection of their business.
    1 person likes this.
  16. Marc D

Marc D Member

Hi,
    My pet hate is advice and advise, one is a noun and the other a verb yet they seem to be used interchangeably.

I gave my client advice (noun)
    I need to advise my client (verb)

And while I'm at it.. A phone that just makes phone calls. I still like talking to people. Old fashioned I know.
  17. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

lose and loose are one of my pet hates. I see many VAs doing it and they should know the difference. Oh, and VA's instead of VAs when talking plural.
  18. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

It still staggers me how many times I see people use than when it should be then.
  19. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

I so enjoy this thread.
  20. Matt Hanson

Matt Hanson New Member

I find it funny when people get really bothered by bad grammar or spelling.

I notice bad writing too, I'd say I have pretty good English, but getting upset about it seems pointless.

Depending on the relationship, I sometimes write poorly (with full knowledge), to either relate, be funny, or save time. I hope that the other person understands I know the correct spelling, apostrophisation, and grammar when I choose not to write it.

Now some one tell me if apostrophisation is a world.
    :)