1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Company to company loans

Discussion in 'New here? Share your story' started by Company Novice, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Company Novice

Company Novice Member

My wife and i have two companies. I was wondering whether one company can give the other a short term loan without any messy documents having to be drawn up?
  2. apj

apj Member

Hi there,

It's always a good idea to document these things but in the real world it rarely happens.

There is a tax provision you need to watch out for which can deem loans from companies to be dividends in some situations however it doesn't apply directly to company - company loans, though can still apply indirectly.

If your lending company has retained profits and the loan isn't going to be repaid < 30/6/13 you should talk to your accountant just to make sure you don't accidentally trigger something tax-wise you didn't mean to.

Hope this helps.