1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Curious about FS banners showing in iPhone

Discussion in 'Talking technology' started by KarenC, May 5, 2010.

1. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I don't know how Flying Solo has managed it (and it's great that they have), but I was sitting in the hairdresser this morning reading Flying Solo and I realised that the banner adverts all show. I have now checked the same pages on my iPhone and my Mac at the same time in the office. As they are are Adobe Flash Player 10 (right click banner) I found this curious as no other website is able to play Flash images at present on the iPhone.

So, is this pure luck, or is it because the images are GIF and not SWF even though they are in a Flash Player? Or do you have an entirely identical site with GIF animations for the iPhone? Is FS truly heralding a new era?

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Adobe CS5 upgrades today, because CS5 Flash is supposed to be able to export to a format that is suitable for iPhones and I find that very interesting. But for techies out there, how come FS is having so much success with the current site?

Have you checked the new site about to be launched on an iPhone? Does your new revised site about to be launched also show the banners on the iPhone?

I look forward to hearing more. :)
  2. Craig_H

Craig_H Member

I would also like to know how that was done.
  3. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

Hi Karen - a bit offtopic .. let me know how CS5 behaves. I'm still waiting for my update by mail (I'm subscribing)

A.
  4. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Will do Astrid - just bringing this post up again.

Is there anyone from FS who can answer my query? Thanks heaps.
  5. Astrid

Astrid Active Member

I bet they are all snowed under preparing the move to the new platform. :)
  6. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Or worse, I've given them more things to check! :)
  7. Jake@EmroyPrint

Jake@EmroyPrint Well-Known Member

FS ads are managed by Sensis - Media Smart.

From what I understand, code can be modified to appear one way in a browser and another on a phone.

- Jake
  8. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Thanks Jake. I guess that's what they've done. Much appreciated. :)
  9. 1253#deleted

1253#deleted Guest

You'll find that Apple have amended their terms (3.3.1 I think) that ostensibly prohibits Flash CS5 (or any other 3rd party framework) from compiling iPhone apps. Apple will reject them outright if they're not put together using their kit.

As for the dual ad displays it's a case of having some PHP or javascript code to sniff the browser user-agent. If it's an iPhone serve the GIF otherwise here's the SWF for your normal browser.

My opinion is that Flash will eventually be supplanted by HTML5 and javascript for a majority of web building.
  10. FS Administrator

FS Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Hi Karen and all,
    Hmmm, good question indeed! As Emroy mentioned our ads are managed externally so anything clever would not be our handywork :)
    Astrid's also right, we're still snowed under shovelling bricks onto the new platform! Looking like early next week launch. The new site does render ok in an iPhone though not specifically a mobile version at this stage.
    Cheers
    Peter
  11. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Hi Peter - FS is fine showing normally. You could have said you were super clever and better than anyone else! :)

I don't like special mobile versions for iPhone as you miss out. I just like using the normal view and zooming in on the areas I need.

I do hope it all goes smoothly and that you are able to take time out on Sunday to celebrate with the mums in your families for Aussie Mother's Day.

Best regards.