1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Flat pack Granny Flat From China Idea

Discussion in 'Starting your journey' started by johnnycashflow, Mar 1, 2017.

1. johnnycashflow

johnnycashflow Member

ive always had this idea in the back of my mind for years and never acted, ive only done basic research on the idea, so excuse me

I think there is a good opporutnity to bringin flat pack granny flats for people to diy, obviousl it will be cheap,

obviously you need your own handymen and councils to connect services

obviously aust regulations are strict so youd have to abide by their requirements,

however the hard part for me I feel is the finding the CHinese contacts or factories aspect,

havehad a few friends who have dealt with chinese contacts and all have regretted it
  2. Fredy Namdin

Fredy Namdin Member

Hi Johny,

Innovative ideas with the flatpack granny flat!

I remember vaguely there was another company doing something similar. They basically build everything in a factory, ship them to site, then construct them like Lego pieces.

Your road is still long it seems like. Just a quick idea to help (hopefully it helps).

You'll probably find that selling them is more difficult than buying them. Instead of starting from your products, it's probably worth doing it the other way around as in, starting with the target customers.

Who knows maybe through some communications with current players in town (builders, local councils, developers, Bunnings?, etc.) you can get potential customers lining up for you. Once you get them, the next step would be getting some sort of fundings from local financial institution. Bring your business plans (and your potential customers' purchase orders).

All the best!
    johnnycashflow likes this.
  3. John Romaine

John Romaine Well-Known Member

Why not support Australian businesses and manufacturing?

We've got enough cheap cr*p coming in from China as it is.
  4. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Good idea. My immediate thought is make sure that they meet Australian building codes and regulations, there have being a lot of things imported recently that don't comply.
  5. JamesMillar

JamesMillar Well-Known Member

Finding a supplier in China is not going to be the hard part (there are heaps of them that provide construction materials and semi constructed items, kitchens shipped to Australia). Having seen builders do this, the biggest challenges are (a) the smallest changes in sizes or measurements can render everything pretty much useless and (b) Australian standards are very strict. We had a client ship nine pre made high end kitchens from China for some townhouses they were building. They cost about $10k landed each instead of $30k each local build. Some small installation costs but there are big savings. They also purchased a container load of windows. Some last minute changes were required and resulted in a few of these kitchens being completely useless.
  6. johnnycashflow

johnnycashflow Member

thank you for all your replies so far,

its replies like this (even if they arent what I want to hear) that make me very appreciative and excited
  7. johnnycashflow

johnnycashflow Member

wow, I never have thought of doing things this way, have no product and sell it first,

Ive always been , get the product into your possession, give it a try, if it works, start selling,

maybe my method has been the traditional method or even the losers method???

but it seems crowdfunding is the modern way to do this,

very very appreciate the comment, It has opened up a totally new viewpoint for me!
  8. Fredy Namdin

Fredy Namdin Member

Hi Johny,

If you can create a prototype that would be better, coupled that with good drawing (preferably with software) and you will have a little bit of 'weapon' to pitch your potential customers. They probably wouldn't pay upfront (unlike crowdfunding), but try to convince them to at least give a formal commitment to support you (commonly subject to certain understanding). That would give you a very good ground for the market potential of your products (and a great boost to your confidence too!).

All the best!
  9. Bushmechanic

Bushmechanic Member

10. Corey

Corey Active Member

g'day,

hate to be a party popper. Do you hold a Builders License?

Cheers
    Corey
  11. johnnycashflow

johnnycashflow Member

that is also another great idea, thanks,

obviously at a very early early brainstorming idea,

im quite excited
  12. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Just reading the OPS objective, he is only importing the flat packs, for DIY install, as such my understanding of the rules, a builders license would not be required.
  13. Corey

Corey Active Member

how could the OP certify that the kit adhered to the Building Code of Australia @bb1?

Cheers
    Corey
  14. Corey

Corey Active Member

A good resource -TransPack Granny Flats | Build a granny flat from under $10K

Cheers
    Corey
  15. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

I dont have to be a qualified electrician to certify that the electrical gear I sell meets Australian standards, there are business's that do certification for you.
  16. Corey

Corey Active Member

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) is a uniform set of technical provisions for the design and construction of buildings and other structures throughout Australia. The BCA is produced and maintained by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB), and given legal effect through the Building Act 1975.

Cheers
    Corey
  17. johnnycashflow

johnnycashflow Member

a freind just asked me a got me thinking

are you actually desigining your own GFs and mass producing them,

or

are you simply buying one of there premade/predesigned ones?

obviously their standards and designs are going to be very different, however buying theirs is a far easier task then essentially designing my own

food for thought,.

sorry just typing out aloud
  18. Mischelle

Mischelle Active Member

I have just started getting a "studio" built in the backyard this week. It's not officially a granny flat (no bathroom) but I looked everywhere for pre-fab and ended up choosing an Aussie company, manufacturing in Melbourne, why?, believe it or not they were the best, their products are amazing and the price was good too (not the cheapest though - I have to admit). BUT they offered everything which was the clincher for me. :):)

I needed help with install, approvals and Certification and they offered everything, I didn't want the fuss of all the council paperwork, certifiers, finding a builder etc etc.

All I have done is pay the invoice and rent a portaloo for the tradies.

SUGGESTION:

So if you are considering getting pre-fab, get the designs drawn up by Australian engineers to Aust Standards (Each state requirements are different as well for approval process). AND offer a range of services through 3rd party people. IE: have preferred builders in each state, certifiers, etc that offer a complete service.

Do this as an additional service your DIY clients, so you cover both options without the fuss of having them in your own business.

This will open your target market to people who don't want to self build, but also want affordable products.

Food for thought.

Cheers
    Mischelle :)
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. Peter - FS Administrator

Peter - FS Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mischelle,
    I've been curious about the backyard studio for years (never had room!) it would be great to see how it turns out if you're game to post a photo when it's ready for inspection :)
    Peter
  20. Mischelle

Mischelle Active Member

Hi Peter,.

I will post when it's finished, but it will look like the 2 images attached. To lock up and then painted (minus the french doors - as they are custom)

They started yesterday and the subfloor is already done, it's hanging over the drop off at the back of my Brisbane inner city block.

I have a large block which drops away at the back, so the space was useless until the guys came up with the idea of hanging it off the drop off. The back of the "Studio" is about 1.8mtr in the air to give you an idea of the drop/slope of the back yard.

I am taking photos during the build, which will take 5 days in total, including plumbing to the storm water drains.

:):)

Attached Files: