1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

A note on networking events
    This area is intended primarily for general discussions about effective networking.

However, inevitably, individual networking events and networking organisations will be discussed. Please be aware our guidelines are clear on blatant promotion…this is not the place to flog tickets or to advertise events or workshops (even free ones) that are staged primarily to promote your business.

That said we acknowledge that the community benefits from hearing about relevant, professional networking groups and occasionally, particular events. With this in mind we're happy to consider a one-post promotion of a specific event in the ‘Networking events’ area below that clearly outlines its name, location, audience profile and any membership fees.

If your event post is too long (over 200 words) or deemed to be a blatant ticket sales drive - where your interests appear better served than the audience - the post will be removed. Once the date of events has passed, we reserve the right to remove posts.

To help posts get found, we suggest the following title format: [State/suburb:], [Event title and date]
    ie: QLD Burleigh Heads: Social media event, 24 Nov

Forming Business Networking groups around Melbourne

Discussion in 'Networking events' started by KeepitSimpleIT, Jan 20, 2010.

1. KeepitSimpleIT

KeepitSimpleIT Member

Hi all,

As mentioned in my last post, I am re-posting this topic in a smarter fashion, hopefully within the guidelines!

Last year... a wonderful human being, Anna, posted about networking groups forming in CBD Melbourne. The reason she wanted to do this was because after attending some more well known networking groups, she felt that action was not happening at these groups and they were way too "clicky". So she posted on here and that started the Biz Networking family.

Our pilot last year had successes and failures, with the main one being charging nothing. You charge nothing, people are not always committed to turning up when they don't necessarily feel they lose something! Though our greatest success was having "challenge sessions", where by we brainstormed a challenge in someone's business to help them improve. Of course lead generation was also a primary goal.

So why am I posting here? Well we would love ALL the feedback in the world about what you think of networking groups.

We are also wanting to establish more groups and have more members.... so whether you just give some feedback, or contact us, either way we really NEED the help of this FS community to help us to our success.

I have to laugh... our motto is "Your Success is Our Success"... which right now is flipped in this post... we could use your wise feedback.

In summary, if you live near Essendon/Moonee Ponds, Melbourne, SE suburbs, Mornington Peninsula... we would love to hear from you about swinging by to see what we are trying to achieve to help small business owners across Melbourne and hopefully across Australia in the future.

Regards,
    Glenn West
    Co-Founder
    www.biznetworking.com.au
  2. Barb

Barb Member

Hi Glenn,

I'm interested in coming along to a networking group, however I really don't want to have to travel too far - I live in Berwick, so Dandenong would be about as far as I would be prepared to travel. I have 2 small children and my husband works in the city (relying on public transport to get home!!) so if the location and time suit, then I would love to come.

Regards,
  3. KeepitSimpleIT

KeepitSimpleIT Member

Hi Barb,

At this point in time your closest group will be the Chadstone area.

If that doesn't suit, try to make it to our Networking Event night on 10th FEb 2010..... I am guessing most businesses will gets LOTS of contacts out of this, as well as some really useful information to help your business.

Buzz me anytime if you wanted to discuss it a little further.

Regards,
    Glenn West
    Co-Founder
    Biz Networking
    www.biznetworking.com.au
  4. Nicole Edgar

Nicole Edgar New Member

Hi Barb,

Last week, I attended my first local networking event in Berwick, run by "Women Making It Work" or "WMIW" for short. They cater towards businesses in the Casey/Cardinia areas, and they usually have monthly breakfast meetings.

I have to say that I was impressed...there were 53 people there - a record for them, and within a short timeframe of 1.5hrs, we all introduced ourselves, our businesses, and quickly summarised what we did, plus we had guest speakers giving out networking tips.

It only costs $99 annually to become a member, plus approx. $15-$20 per breakfast meeting, for breakfast!

I got a lot out of it, in a short space of time, and like you, I have young kids, and didn't want to travel far (I'm based in Narre Warren South).

They have both Facebook & LinkedIn business profiles, so have a look.

I hope that helps you.

Regards,
    Nicole
  5. Barb

Barb Member

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the information about "Woman Making it Work". I have looked into few local networking groups, this being one of them, however haven't yet made the plunge to join any as yet.

I am also contemplating starting up my own networking group, which I'm looking into at the moment.

Thanks again and maybe I'll see you at a local network group soon!!

Regards,
  6. WMIW

WMIW New Member

Hi Barb

We are having our March breakfast next week - Thursday 11th March at the Eating House in Lynbrook

To encourage guest to come along, we are offering non-members the member price for this month so its only $20 - the normal non-member price is $30

If you would like any further information or would like to book, visit www.wmiw.com.au - bookings close 5th March

Thanks Nicole for the great feedback too!!
  7. Phalanx

Phalanx New Member

Hi Glenn,

I am interested in joining your business networking groups.
    I already have registered myelf on biznetworking.

Regards

Manoj

8. Trish FCA

Trish FCA Member

Hi Glenn,

I'd be interested in joining and you're on my side of town too!!! Most networking groups out this way already have bookkeepers so that excludes me as a member. I've been to a couple of breakfasts as a guest and love it.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Trish Jones
    First Class Accounts - Craigieburn.
  9. Watotech

Watotech New Member

Hi Glenn

I would be interested in joining one of your groups.
    Do you have any in the Essendon area yet ?
  10. CLAU

CLAU New Member

Hi Glenn,

I am an inhouse counsel for a group of companies and also run a private practice in the areas of Commercial/Corporate and Property Law.

I would be interested in joining one of your networking groups if there is room for a lawyer.

Thanks
    Christine Lau
    ccylau@bigpond.net.au
  11. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

Why would a networking group exclude you because they have another bookkeeper?
    Cant understand this attitude a healthy networking group would have as many accountants bookkeepers retailers etc as they could get into the venue.
    What happens if bookkeeper a, has more work than they want who do the network with to have the overload done.
    To me that is what networking groups are about, getting to know someone who may be able to help you at some time or other. Knowing them personally give the edge in a recommendation.
    Or am I wrong and should mind my own business
  12. Trish FCA

Trish FCA Member

Hi Burgo,
    Those are the rules of BNI. I agree that it's about supporting each other as well as networking for business. I'm of the belief "more the merrier".
    The funny this is that the bookkeeper in one of the chapters actually has too much work and has asked me to help her out.

And I would never ask you to mind your own business. I value your opinion....so thanks :)
  13. FionaFell

FionaFell Member

Burgo, BIN groups run on the principal of formal networks and referrals.

If I am a member then other web geeks are not allowed in so other members; an accountant, a carpet cleaner, a vet; all refer me to people needing websites, and I refer them to people needing money stuff, clean carpets or a happy pet.
  14. cdcdesigns

cdcdesigns New Member

I'd be interested in joining a networking group around the Greater Dandenong / South East suburbs area. Does anyone know of one out there currently or would anyone like to start one?
    Cheers

Yannick
    CDC Designs
    www.cdcdesigns.com.au
    Web and Graphic Design
  15. CarolP

CarolP Member

I'd be interested in joining a group in the South-East area around Carnegie. The Chadstone one sounds like it might work.

Cheers
    Carol
  16. JoeMahony

JoeMahony New Member

I'd be very interested in joining a networking group in Melbourne's inner SE suburbs. I live in Windsor, work from Prahran but I'm on the road a lot. I could do Chadstone quite easily. Would love to hear more about this. Where do I start???

Joe
    Office Now
    www.OfficeNow.com.au
    joe@officenow.com.au
  17. GRCounselling

GRCounselling New Member

Hi,

Is there a Business Networking group for the Eastern suburbs?

I'd be interested to join one, I am a Counsellor and Psychotherapist in Box Hill / Burwood area.

All the best,
    Gabriel