1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Forum Spell Checking

Discussion in 'Membership & housekeeping' started by Uncomplicating, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Uncomplicating

Uncomplicating Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who dislikes the forum spell checker using American spellings?

Always leaves me feeling a little off "color"
  2. bluepenguin

bluepenguin Well-Known Member

derz a sbell cheka??? were?
    2 people like this.
  3. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Stewart,

I know exactly what you mean, and have asked Peter to see if there's anything he can do behind the scenes to organiSe (with an S) Australian spell-checking for us.

Fingers crossed!
    Jayne
  4. Uncomplicating

Oxford English would have it that "ize" is actually the correct spelling, although "ise" is actually just as common.

Murky world this spelling. My 6 year old keeps telling me that English is stupid. It's hard to disagree with her.
  5. FS Administrator

FS Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Hi Stewart,
    Just having a look into this and hunting around VB settings, but I'm wondering if the forum checker might actually be within the browser rather than within vBulletin (especially if it is checking as you type)? For example I use Chrome and if I mistype a word I get a red squiggly line under it as I type, if I then right click the word I can change the settings to Australian English. Here's a forum thread I stumbled across talking about this. But I must admit I'm definitely no expert in this area :) so you or others may be able to shed some more light on this?
    Cheers
    Peter
  6. Uncomplicating

Thanks Peter. I'd missed that.

Oops
    1 person likes this.
  7. BrettM33

BrettM33 Well-Known Member

Yeah...... it's generally browser based. Plus, I prefer American spelling anyway, it's my favorite. ;)
  8. bluepenguin

bluepenguin Well-Known Member

I use Firefox, and it spell checks for me on every site except for this one. That's why all of my posts say they have been edited at the bottom. I read over them a few minutes later and think "oh, dear!"
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    2 people like this.
  9. Corey

Corey Member

where is the spell checker?

Cheers
    Corey
  10. JacquiPryor

JacquiPryor Well-Known Member

I'm the same as Blue Penguin... wasn't until I saw this thread initially that I even realised some people had a spell checker running on FS!