1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Free website or blog setup service ?

Discussion in 'Marketing mastery' started by J-Steve, Oct 27, 2013.

1. J-Steve

J-Steve Member

Hey guys John here, I have a second fix carpentry business which I was looking to get a website for just so I can put a few photos of work that I have done up so i can show my clients.

Was reading the local messenger here and came across this guy that was offering free website or blog setups ?

His site is sleekwebsolutions.com was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help as to if this would be okay for what I want. He never mentioned anything about putting photos on the site but im not sure what the service includes as I am very alienated from the whole running a website scene.

Thanks
  2. John Romaine

John Romaine Renowned Member

Hi John
    As with anything you get what you pay for. I haven't looked at it, but anyone offering free websites - I would avoid.

Because ...

1. There's a catch somewhere
    2. Its a crappy service.

By the way, Wordpress does what you need straight out of the box.
    2 people like this.
  3. Greg_M

Greg_M Renowned Member

Just had a quick look at the site.

Seems they're doing a free Wordpress install, and making a $ out of reseller, or affiliate deal with hostgator ... you buy the hosting, they do the install.

I've seen worse deals.

You probably still have to work out how to, and add your own content I'd say.

As said, you'll get what you pay for.
  4. Jodie McLeod

Jodie McLeod Active Member

Hi John,

Good move asking around before trying. And welcome to the forums btw!

When you get a chance, let us know a little more about you and your business over here.

Cheers,

Jodie
  5. SamJames

SamJames Member

I've seen plenty of similar offers. Usually for a small or nominal fee -http://50dollarblogs.net/ comes to mind, but I've seen plenty of similar deals. No affiliation to that by the way.

Basically the catch is you sign up for webhosting and a domain through their affiliate links. So they make a % of that.

If your not that technical and just want a basic site up, then it might be useful. You'll probably have to learn how to add you images and content yourself though.
  6. Sara SEO

Sara SEO Member

Hi John,
    I agree with the other responses if it's free there will be a catch and the very thing you're looking for help with you'll end up having to do yourself.

I do websites specifically for small businesses like yours. The basic package includes:

Wordpress Website (up to 4 pages)
    Can include pics
    I'll help you with copy (text)
    Hosting is included

$500

There will be no on-going hosting fees.

If you need a domain name, we can organise that but will charge you any costs associated with that or you can organise your domain name yourself.

If you're interested I can send you a link to a site I did recently for a sole trader along the same lines (although very different line of business).

Hope to hear from you,
    Sara
  7. eWAY

eWAY Active Member

J-Steve, if you're after a basic, entry level website then this is pretty on the money.

It really depends on what you want the site for though, if you're looking for one that will rank on the front page when searching for carpenters in your area then expect a bigger outlay.

If you just want to bang something up yourself take a look at wix.com. Of course, when you factor in your own time it will end up costing more than paying $500 for Sarah to do it for you.

Maclean
  8. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Renowned Member

Hi Sarah,

Out of curiosity, how can you offer a website with no ongoing hosting?

Cheers,

Matt
  9. SYP

SYP Member

+1

If your a non technical guy its probably best to spend a few hundred bucks to get it all done by a pro that provides help and support.

Generally, you get what you pay for, so if you go with free services you'll probably spend way too much time figuring out how to fill in the gaps.
  10. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Renowned Member

Subdomain or canonical domain?
    1 person likes this.
  11. Sara SEO

Sara SEO Member

Hi Matt,
    We host the client's site but do not charge on-going hosting fees. Our business is about creating the right site for the business in question.

Sara
  12. robert11

robert11 Guest

Hi everyone, as the person who runs the geeky side of TailormadeSEO.com Sara asked me to reply to this.

It is actually easier and cheaper for us to give you free hosting for a small site than try and negotiate some of the rather esoteric hosting control panels provided by different web hosts.

We create the site then host the top-level domain.
    There is no charge for hosting.

Most clients usually have their own domain already, just haven't got the site. We can assist with obtaining a top-level domain, cost of acquiring the domain is covered by the client and is paid direct to your registrar.

Hosting is for the top-level domain only. We do not include mail, sub-domains or DNS management.

We can manage those as well for an additional fee.

Hope that clears up the confusion
  13. RecallAd

RecallAd Member

Hi

We do fully editable websites. In other words once your website is live you can login and edit the website yourself. Very easy. Change/add text, photos, video, maps and much more. We include links to social media, have built-in analytics and we make sure Google, Yahoo, and
    Bing will love your site. We even include a free mobile website version of your website.

All this only $220 per page. So if you want to start with only 1 page thats OK. We can always add more pages later.

Hosting is $16.50 per month. All prices include GST.

Kind regards
    Wolfgang
  14. Trastas

Trastas Member

IMHO,
    If all you want to do is publish "a few photos of work that I have done up so i can show my clients", just set up a Facebook page. $0 start up cost $0 ongoing costs.

I should mention that you shouldn't expect a free website or social media profile to bring in new customers though.

It would only work as a sales tool that you can refer people to after they contact you after word of mouth referrals.

Tom
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013