1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Flying Solo loves Meetups! Face-to-face, small group meetups are fabulous for soloists, we've even written our very own Flying Solo Guide to Meetups. To Find or Launch a Meetup in your area, take a look through this section or head straight to our page on Meetup.com and dive in!

Flying Solo Meetups

NOTE: If you’re already an organiser on Meetup.com or intend to launch a group, just add Flying Solo as one of your topics to appear on our page and benefit from our promotion of your Meetup.

Geelong Meetup?

Discussion in 'VIC' started by Cobalt, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Hi everyone!

There doesn't seem to be much happening in Geelong with effective business networking or meetups that satisfy the needs of local businesses.

If you are interested in getting together once a fortnight or month to discuss challenges, brainstorm ideas, and celebrate successes I would be happy to hear from you!

If you are passionate about your business and enjoy helping others achieve success, then it would be great to get together and connect with other like-minded individuals don't you agree?

Please reply to this post if you're interested and I will look at coordinating a meetup in the near future. I am very interested to hear of any suggestions regarding venues and times (breakfasts seem to work well - what about lunches?).

I would like to limit representation to one business from any given category to ensure that there aren't any conflicts. So initially it will be on a first in first served basis.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Kind regards,

Paul
    1 person likes this.
  2. CherishYourBooks

CherishYourBooks New Member

I'd be interested, Paul.

Robyn
  3. NigelLane

NigelLane Member

Count me in too!

Nigel
  4. Crash Lander

Crash Lander Member

I may be able to avail myself to something like this. :)
  5. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Firstly, apologies to all for not replying sooner. Apart from anyhting else, I haven't been getting updates and I thought this was a dead thread.

4 of us....

Let's meet

on Feb 16

and see what happens.​

Any suggestions as to where?

Looking forward to creating something new and meaningful...

Kind regards,

Paul (*0434 103 575*)
  6. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Paul,

We'll give this meet-up a plug on Facebook and Twitter for you and see if we can round up a few more peeps to join you.

To receive notification of responses to threads you've contributed to, visit the Control panel (via the grey bar above the forum), and choose 'Edit options'. About halfway down the page you'll find a section called 'Default thread subscription mode', which will allow you to choose the notification frequency that suits you best from a drop down menu. Then scroll to the bottom of the page to save your settings.

Enjoy your meetup,
    Jayne
  7. Crash Lander

Crash Lander Member

Thursday this week may not be the best day for me, but depending on the time, I may be able to drop by.
  8. autumncs

autumncs New Member

Hi all

I'd be interested in this. Thrusday would be fine for me, was there a time recommended? If there hasn't been a time how about 1 PM and if a place hasn't been set how bout the Barwon Club

Tim Giles
  9. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Hello again,

It looks like the meetup on 16-2-12 won't go ahead due to the lack of numbers.

However... Anyone who is interested in getting something going should contact me as I am keen to do something for Geelong in the near future.

Thanks,

Paul
  10. Ondetto

Ondetto Active Member

Hi Paul,

I've just joined Flying Solo and saw your thread - I'd be interested in a meetup group in Geelong. I know this discussion is a bit old but if you do manage to get a group going, I would be up for it.

Frederike
  11. autumncs

autumncs New Member

Hi all

I'm still interested in this as well. I think we should try and set a day at least like second thrusday of the month at 4 pm and see who or what comes of it.

I know this won't suit everyone but I think it's the only way to get started.

Lets see how many can make it and in the week leading up to it work out where to go.

Regards

Tim Giles
  12. FS Concierge

Hi Tim,

In our experience, this is the best way to kick things off.

We've generally observed that people become much more likely to put their hands up to participate once a time and place has been nominated - even if their initial comments are that they'd prefer a different time.

As another tip for you, we've also noticed that groups who meet within school hours are the ones who tend to get the most participants (although we do have a couple of regular groups going who meet early in the morning).

Once someone has nominated a time, we'll give the meet-up group a plug on Facebook and Twitter for you.

Hope you meet some fantastic people,
    Jayne
  13. Ondetto

Ondetto Active Member

Thanks, Jayne. Good point re school hours.

Ok, I will set a date and see who shows up: 1st Thursday of the month at 12:30pm. That means the first meetup will be on 5th July.

How about Ernie Brown's, they do light lunches - paninis etc, and are central just down from Westfield: www.erniebrowns.com.au‎

If the time doesn't suit people we can change it for the following month.

Jayne, can you help us get the word out? I don't want to have lunch by myself ;-)
  14. FS Concierge

Consider it done Frederike. :)

You can keep track of any responses on Facebook here.

Cheers,
    Jayne
    Ondetto likes this.
  15. NigelLane

NigelLane Member

Hi all

I am keen and Thursday lunch will work as well as anything else - however I can't make the first one as it is in school holidays. I have out August in my diary already.

Nigel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  16. autumncs

autumncs New Member

Ive booked it in. I'll see you there.

Regards

Tim
    2 people like this.
  17. CherishYourBooks

All being well I will be there too.
    Robyn
  18. Gavin_S

Gavin_S Member

Hi Guys,
    I'd be interested in coming along to the one in August :)
    Cheers,

Gavin
    1 person likes this.
  19. CherishYourBooks

I'm here so someone come up and say hi so I'm not left alone :)
  20. Ondetto

Ondetto Active Member

We had a lovely lunch today at our first Geelong meetup. There were 4 of us today and I know at least 3 others have expressed interest but couldn't make it today.

For now we will keep the time and place the same until we have figured out what suits everyone best.

So, the next Geelong meetup will be on Thursday, 2nd August, at 12:30pm at Ernie Browns Cafe, 60 Brougham Street. Please pop in and say hi!
    2 people like this.