1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Have you replaced one long-term habit with another? How did you do it?

Discussion in 'Get productive' started by RichLucas, Dec 11, 2015.

1. RichLucas

RichLucas Member

One thing I'll admit to having a constant battle with is forming new habits and continuing to observe them in the long-term. Thankfully I don't have any terribly bad ones, but I'm really coming up against some internal barriers now that are holding me and my business back. For example, I know I should pick up the phone and call people or get out and meet new people more often, but in the past I just haven't done it. I wouldn't say I'm a 100% introvert but the tendency and back-story certainly lean that way.

If you've managed to break an old habit &/or replace it with a new one, what was it and how did you do it? Did you invent your own strategy, follow someone else's, use a commercial product to help etc.?
    ThexArm likes this.
  2. Dave - FS Concierge

Dave - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi @RichLucas,

I've recently put in place some accountability partners, and it's keeping me a lot more focused and it's harder for me to skip those important jobs I'd normally procrastinate on.

It also forces you to more clearly define what task needs to be done, and when it'll be done, which alone moves you a lot closer to doing it.

Dave
    RichLucas likes this.
  3. RichLucas

RichLucas Member

That's a great idea Dave, and I'm pleased it's working out for you.

How did you decide on the partners that you chose?
  4. Dave - FS Concierge

Dave - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

I found them through an (online) entrepreneurial group I'm part of - I put the call out for someone who wanted to take accountability seriously, and we're catching up via skype.

If you put the word out on Flying Solo (for example) there's a good chance you'll attract someone like-minded.

Dave

P.S. In the last 3 discussions I've had about accountability, contacting people or companies (i.e. sales) was the thing that the person was stuck on every time. :)
    The Lucky Country likes this.
  5. RichLucas

RichLucas Member

Thanks again Dave, I'll pursue that idea for sure. And I guess I'm not alone then!
    Dave - FS Concierge likes this.
  6. Warren Cottis

Warren Cottis Well-Known Member

Hello Richard

I second Dave's comments but it doesn't have to be complicated.

You can pick anyone who will have a mindset to keep you Focused.

Even that retired person who needs a Mission

Setting a date for the next call from that person works wonders
  7. RichLucas

RichLucas Member

Thanks Warren, it turns out with a very small amount of creative thinking I realised that the perfect person had been in my thoughts for a while – a fellow entrepreneur who is at this point more commercially successful and has some standout qualities that I aspire to. And they accepted, so we're off!

They even knew what an accountability partner was so a few steps in front of me...
  8. shart

shart Member

Hi there,

this was a small change but one thats had such a great impact. I simply switched from coffee to warm lemon water. I think the best way to start a new habit is to try and remove anything that reminds you of old habits. I got rid of my instant coffee mix and the milk. So when morning did come, I had no choice but to drink something else. I followed it for a month consciously and then it became a routine. Lemon water does wonders for your skin, weight and overall health so its great!

Good luck!
  9. katinns

katinns Member

For me I found that creating and keeping to rituals is the best way to be productive. For example in my BD job I make 10 calls every morning starting at 9AM.
    If you are interested I posted a short article here. The other resource worth checking out, especially on habits, is at jamesclear.com

Hope that's useful
  10. Cody

Cody Active Member

There are some great people out there who write and talk about habits. Try James Clear.

For straight up, no BS discipline, have a listen to the Jocko Willink Podcast. Start with his second podcast on the Tim Ferriss Show (Episode #187). Worth following on Twitter too. He has also written a book called 'Extreme Ownership' which I found very useful.

I started reading 'Turning Pro' by Steven Pressfield this morning. I'm paraphrasing but he said something to the effect of 'Everyone has habits. It's up to you to choose if you want to have amateur habits or professional habits.

In summary, for me it's about constantly surrounding myself with this sort of information. It's kind of weird. I don't know them personally, but I feel like if I don't get out of bed at 5am every morning and exercise I am letting them down.
  11. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Wow, I am genuinely surprised you feel like you are letting those that inspire you down - the thought never occurred to me within the context of somebody I have never met.

It is like having an accountability partner that only you know about :)
  12. Cody

Cody Active Member

Yeah it's strange isn't it haha. Almost like if I were to sleep in they would be looking down on me shaking their heads!

Owell, it works.
  13. russashby

russashby Member

Accountability partners have worked really well for me in the past, but something that has also made a big difference for me is making sure to use checklist during different stages of the day. For example, a checklist to start the day, a checklist to start the workday and so on. Like this, you make sure you complete the behaviors you want to make habits and checklists are a useful reminder that never forgets.
  14. findtim

findtim Member

i've always been a heavy drinker, then a year ago i was walking down the street and said to myself " i'm not going to drink anymore" , and i did ! no DT's, no cravings, no headaches, no anger, no come down !
    i changed a habit in my mind, everything i did related to a drink, its hot, its friday, i just mowed the lawn, the footies on, we are going out, i just want to stay in.... etc.
    i didn't look for a replacement i just switched to water and mineral water but then i saw joe cross, great aussie bloke, "reboot with joe" and his movie " fat,sick and nearly dead" google him.
    you don't have to be fat , sick and nearly dead to get the moral and it can be used in any form of habit breaking .
    its also not a diet,i weight within my BMI at 74kgs and have down for the last 30 years, stable weight no matter what i eat or drink.
    anyway, i changed my habit with a mind SHIFT.
    tim