1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

hosting for small wordpress site

Discussion in 'Talking technology' started by Handsome Genius, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Handsome Genius

Handsome Genius New Member

Hi guys,

I have a client who has a wordpress site that she is looking to move over from Crazy Domains. This is not something I ever really have to look at in the course of my work, so I actually don't really know who is good these days.

Looking for something secure, with good uptime and with good customer service. Australian based would be preferred, but this is not a dealbreaker. She is not pulling huge amounts of traffic or doing anything terribly sophisticated so a shared hosting plan probably the go.
  2. MJS_Virtual

MJS_Virtual Member

Most of my clients with small-ish websites are using Hostgator. None of them have ever reported any issues and have never had any problems with customer service or down times etc.
    Handsome Genius likes this.
  3. Zava Design

Zava Design Well-Known Member

Add Hawkhost to the two mentioned above, and you probably have the 3 most highly regarded budget hosts around.
  4. vilson

vilson Active Member

5. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

I have two servers I use. One based in Perth, the other in the US. I've been providing webhosting services for several years and concentrate almost completely on Wordpress for clients. Let me know if I can assist.
  6. Handsome Genius

Yeah, sure thing. Let me know the details and I'll pass it on.
  7. inkable

inkable Active Member

Hostgator is cheap and fairly reliable. If this is a Australia targeted blog page speed might suffer a little bit as their servers are based in Dallas, TX. However if it is a simple site this won't be a big issue.
  8. Zava Design

Question (and this is based on my own experience as a hosting reseller for my clients before deciding it wasn't the game for me): Do you offer 24/7 support if a hosted site goes down, or email stops working?
  9. I am running two wordpress websites on bluehost.com. Support is surprisingly good, while US$4.95/mo looks like a killer deal. No speed issues.
  10. inveress

inveress Member

Hi, Handsome :)

I host quite a few sites, most of which are Wordpress-based. I have experience in moving WP sites between servers and making them more secure.

I am based in Adelaide but at the moment my server is in the US (I get the capacity I need at a lower price than I could get here in Australia -- though I always put service reliability ahead of cost!). The business that hosts my server there also acts as a backup support team, so if something happens in the middle of the night, they can look at it (although I do have a monitoring service that will try and contact me 24x7 if the server doesn't respond to pings for more than a couple of minutes).

Your client can find out more about uptime, costs, etc., on my site (www.inveress.net) and of course they can email me for more details.

Cheers,
    Peter.
  11. Zava Design

Webhostingtalk.com is an even better resource for hosting reviews ...etc, though not Aus focused. Though nowadays for majority of websites that doesn't matter.
  12. marnieb

marnieb Active Member

Hi Handsome ;)

We offer reliable, Australian based hosting and would love to help your client out. Our hosting offers a 99.9% uptime, great customer service, if you call us you can actually speak to a real person, and being web developers as well we're also more than capable of tackling transfers, site updates, and any issues involved with WordPress hacking (let's face it, it's going around).

Happy to help, just shout!

13. Netorigin

Netorigin Active Member

Hello,

Judging by your client's requirements for web hosting, our popular WebBudget plan (http://www.netorigin.com.au/sydney-hosting) would seem suitable. We have our servers located in Perth and Sydney. The WebBudget plan costs $3.95/month and includes 24x7 customer support, 99.9% guaranteed monthly uptime, nightly offsite backups and much more.

Regards,

Shaun
  14. Shane Walker

Shane Walker Active Member

Hi! It’s Shane Walker here.

When it comes to hosting your sites via wordpress or any other platform, you really can’t go pass either GoDaddy or Hostgator. They are both American companies that have hosting services in America, Asia Pacific, and Europe. So it just depends on where you live as to where your account will be hosted. They both have a 99.9 percent uptime and Australian based services can’t really compete in price. They are incredibly cheap and I host all my clients’ sites as well as my own on them and I’ve never had any dramas or complaints. They have great technical support and very easy instructions to follow on what to do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
  15. Handsome Genius

Thanks everyone. I passed on the recommendations and it's all sorted now!