1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

How do you increase traffic to your website for free?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by kally, Nov 17, 2009.

1. kally

kally New Member

Hello Friends...

Share some tips to increase traffic to your website for free.

Thanks in advance
  2. mike@engagemarketing

mike@engagemarketing Member

The easiest ways are:

• participate in social media with good, valuable opinions. If people like what you say and you prove yourself to be knowledgeable, you are likely to have them checking your link
    • find relevant businesses and do a link-exchange between your sites and theirs
    • volunteer your time and write an article for a website that will give you a link to your website in return

Many of these won't provide an immediate traffic boost, but a steady one over time as search engine's like your site more.
  3. objectman

objectman New Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Backlinks, lots of them.

Get them from guest posting on other folks blogs, commenting on blogs, distribution of articles and press releases, writing and commenting on social sites, social bookmarks, beg existing well ranked sites for links, etc

Put your links in emails, forum signatures (cough...), write your url on light pole tear offs, community notice boards. Write your URL on your car, your dog, give stickers to your kids, have the url imprinted on your thongs so you leave a trail of urls when you go for walks on the beach.

OK I'm being a little OTT but the point is get links and URL mentions any way you can!
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. objectman

objectman New Member

The thong idea is cool - esp. right after a rain, but before the sun comes out again and at low tide ;)
  6. GMHost

GMHost New Member

7. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

Hmmm, not sure I argee. Any .com.au is already associated with Australia and you can set your target location in Webmaster tools anyway. For free. IE you don't need to pay $200 more per year for this privilege.

A quick Google search and testing with your own tool proves this to be false. This was from your website.

I don't mind promoting Aussie hosting, but you need to stick to the facts and not scare people.

Speed is a issue - if you can notice .001 of a second. You could show people 100 sites hosted here or overseas and people will only guess to which is which. Would Youtube.com or Google.com.au or Facebook.com or au.yahoo.com be faster if they were hosted here? We will never know, but it doesn't stop the millions of Aussies that use these everyday

And yes, I lease my server from the US because I get great service, technology, and price.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Webolution

Webolution Member

Spot on. As Matthew said, even for top level domains such as .com's and .net's, you can set the geographic target in webmaster tools - so hosting in the US is not really an issue.

Do the small things correctly to start with (quality content, valid markup, keyword placement) and then focus on backlinks and other forms of advertising once the basics are in place.

Let us know how you go Kally.

Cheers,
    Joel
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Would have to agree that where your host is located is pretty much irrelevant as long as the server is up and running well, its simply not correct to go scaremongering like on that web page!
  10. webdigger

webdigger New Member

Here are some things you could do to increase traffic. Obviously this is not exhaustive and some are more suggestions are more important than others for driving traffic and improving rankings.

# Start a blog if you don't have one
    # Get involved in social media - Twitter, Facebook, etc
    # Make sure your business is listed in the Internet Yellow Pages (IYP) in your market - Truelocal, Street Local, Brown Book, Google Business Listing, etc
    # Claim you blog on Technorati and other blog submission sites
    # Make sure you're on LinkedIn
    # Share your site on Digg, Stumbleupon
    # Comment on other blogs and forums which you can include your URL
    # Publish articles to article submission directories such as ezine articles
    # Submit your RSS feed to agregator sites
    # Create a squidoo page
    # Make sure your website and pages load quickly
    # Create and XML sitemap
    # Start an affiliate program to promote your services
    # Try capturing contact details of people as soon as the visit your website so you can follow up with them in the future. Offer something for free?
    # Create You Tube videos for "universal search"
    # Create a wordpress theme or Browser tool bar widget
    1 person likes this.
  11. AndreyW

AndreyW New Member

If you want to increase you website traffic, the only way you can do this quick and effective, is using keywords that are specific to the website main theme. In this way, you target specific search queries, what makes possibility to get a click on your website higher.

So if you have a energy related website, there is no point to use general keywords, as "energy" or "electricity". Because there are hundreds of millions of webpages that have this words. And if your website has a page rank less than 10, it will just get lost in search results and their will never be a click from the search engine.

Example: there is a purpose to increase traffic of a webpage http://energysupply.biz/add-url-energy-directory.html from the energy oriented companies.

There is no use to write "submit URL for FREE!!!!!!!"
    We write "add energy URL for free", "add electricity supplier for free to Energy Directory"
    It is also useful to add words as "Microseismic Company" or "Vacuum Oil Filter Machine" - specific words that are included in the directory.

Only some thousands are writing "Microseismic Company" and people, who are looking for this are really looking for microseismic companies. This way there is a chance for a website with PR 3.

If you add a word "Lubricant Oil Regeneration" to your keywords, there is a chance, that there will be a click one your website. To the webpage with PR less than 10 and with keywords "Submit URL" - there will never be a click!

This way chance to get a click from a search engine is more than 0.

Good luck!
  12. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

eh?

Pagerank has no effect on your position in the results - this has been proven many many times!

Where are you "adding those keywords"? Please tell us you're not suggesting people use meta keywords?

I think I have a microseismic headache now...
  13. Karen Wardle

Karen Wardle Member

I agree with Aiden. I don't feel that page rank has any bearing on your position in search engine results.

My site is new. I have only recently received a page rank yet many of my keywords are found on the first and second page of the search engines, including Google and have been for some time.

I also have an overseas web host and as others here have said I don't feel that the location of your host has any relevance.

Webolution said
    I agree with this strategy and have found that quality content as well as using high demand/low supply keywords are what works best for me. I also found that my traffic increased once I began to get backlinks from quality sites with their own page ranks.

Webdigger has some good tips for increasing your traffic also.

I can't comment on Google Adwords or Pay Per Click advertising as I have never used them.

Good luck

Karen (Wardle)
    http://www.you-can-start-business.com
  14. marvelit

marvelit Member

dont forget that having backlinks on pages that have nothing to do with your website can generate you visitors that dont stick around or convert into sales etc.

You want the right people coming to your website.
  15. GMHost

GMHost New Member

Webdigger, what a great list of components. Its not one or two elements that could create traffic to your website but a combination of a dozen or more.
  16. exstatic

exstatic Active Member

I wrote an article on another forum about this exact topic.. you can view that here - How to get free traffic

There are quite a few factors to consider, but basically you need good quality unique content that is relevant to not only your site but your visitors and your market.. this content should not just be on your website, but on other websites that link back to yours... as others have said back links are very important in any SEO strategy.

Have a read through the article and hopefully it should help clear things up
  17. jacovsamuel

jacovsamuel New Member

Hello,

Just remember that the key to building repeat traffic is to create a website that is useful, unique and full of good content.

Thanks
  18. ChiefBridesmaid

ChiefBridesmaid New Member

That's really helpful advice - thank you!

I've just moved to Aus, but never even heard of Squidoo. Must start learning!

19. Karen Wardle

Karen Wardle Member

Hi Lucy

Welcome to Oz.

You could also try hubpages and helium for sites that you can submit content to and then include your author bio with a link to your site.

Here is a link to some further info on them both and also to some other sites that you can use to increase your profile.

http://www.you-can-start-business.com/online-work-from-home-jobs.html

By the way I just checked out your site. The amount of information that you have on it is great! To anyone getting married or who knows someone getting married I suggest you check it out.

A good friend of mine and also my cousin have both been married within the last year, they could have used it :)

Best wishes

Karen (Wardle)
    http://www.you-can-start-business.com
  20. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Hi again,

Those hubpages and squidoo type articles can be good for seo but be aware that in some of those communities your links will be nofollow ones meaning they are (almost) useless for seo purposes.

Hubpages is a good example of this, unless you reach a minimum score for your efforts your links will remain nofollow.

Remember the easier the link is to get the less its likely to be worth for seo! Personally I've found hubpages to be worth putting a little effort into.

Good luck