1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

How effective are the banner ads?

Discussion in 'Marketing mastery' started by outsourcingrus, Mar 23, 2017.

1. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

Hello FlyingSolo community,

We are looking to advertise through different websites to promote our service, but options look to be limited and costly for the smaller businesses. I found so far three ways to put banner ads when you:

1. Pay for impressions
    2. PPC - pay for clicks
    3. Banners Exchange with other websites to drive traffic

Pay for impressions looks to be attractive option, but it's expensive and so far not effective for our business. We get thousands of impressions, but a few clicks.

Does anyone have a good experience with this option? Would you recommend any particular website/portals to try?

PPC seems to be more effective, but costly. You may get clicks from your competitors trying to waste your daily budgets too. Apart of Google Ad words, does anyone have a good experience with other websites/portals?

Banners exchange with other website used to be quite popular back in a day. Is it still working and producing good results?

Are there any other options to promote your web using banner ads?

Your feedback and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kon
    Marty101 likes this.
  2. Corey

Corey Active Member

Kon, have you considered purchasing text links on websites?

Cheers
    Corey
  3. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

Hey Corey, I am currently running a few campaigns through LinkedIn with thousands of impressions archived within 4 days , but few clicks... Are you referring to the text ads where I can put a picture and a bit description? I would like to try it in other places and now awaiting community to suggest some portals with our target market - business owners/managers/HR etc
  4. Corey

Corey Active Member

Many site owners offer Advertising space, whether that be a picture and a description of just a simple text link.

Cheers
    Corey
    outsourcingrus likes this.
  5. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

would you have any examples of some good Australian business portals? Have you done that advertisement yourself? If you did, what was the outcome?
    To put a banner even on this portal is way too pricy, wondering to know if there is any industry standard pricing guide
  6. Byron Trzeciak

Byron Trzeciak Active Member

I've spoken with a few people that have advertised on Inside Small Business and got nothing in return. Whenever I've seen banner ads on third party website more often than not the response is that it generated zero conversions. I'd be keen to hear of others too who felt a particular site or network had an impact for them.

Banner ads through Google AdWords can still be cheap from 50c to 1.50 for display advertising. The hardest part is knowing your customer profiles and targeting their characteristics accurately.

Search network advertising is fantastic from our experience. It's really expensive for some businesses like plumbers etc but often surprises me how cheap it is for most industries. Configured correctly I feel it's one of the best sources of high converting traffic.

The trick however is to have a website that is built for conversions, which yours is not in my opinion, otherwise you'll quickly waste money, lower conversion rates and waste money. I'm not trying to be rude either but if I was you I'd either re do your website or buy landing page software as I don't think you'll get high conversion rates pushing clicks to your current website.
  7. StuartL

StuartL Member

"Banner blindness" is a term that has been around parts of the industry for maybe 7 or 8 years now.

People have become so accustomed to seeing advertising banners on pages that they just don't take any notice of them unless there is something in the banner that really resonates with them.

It's a major problem that the industry doesn't want to talk about and, appears to have no easy solution, although where your ad ... or banner ... appears on a page may improve your chances of people seeing it and taking action.

Darren Rowse mentioned the other day that Google ads on his Digital Photography blog got a lot more clicks if they were placed within the text rather than at the top or in the sidebar.

However getting people to click your banner or ad, wherever it's placed, is only the start of the challenge. What happens once they get to your website?

You may find that you do a lot better with the small amount of traffic you're already getting if you improve the focus of your website
    Marty101 and outsourcingrus like this.
  8. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ken,

I agree with @Byron Trzeciak. Your home page is not set up for conversion and in your case, I would recommend especially to have case studies with outcomes which will help to paint a picture of the sales outcomes that are possible.

And with LI, if you could have some compelling content to post in LI Groups, you could become known as an expert which is the first step (trust) in attracting new clients.

People are looking for your services but I feel that bridging that trust gap is crucial - (people are terrified of spending money and not getting a return).

Cheers
  9. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

Thanks Byron for your comments. what do you mean our website is not built for conversations? We have an inbuilt LiveChat facility to engage with visitors. What would you recommend us to change in general? Appreciate your response.
  10. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

Thanks Paul, I get your point regarding Case studies. We have another page called Testimonials, do you recon we should move Testimonials to the home page or create proper Case studies and upload them on the home page?
    Also, could you confirm what is LI Group? :)
  11. ILS_GUy

ILS_GUy Member

I 100 % agree with this. You have a great range of services that most small businesses could make use of, but in exactly the same way that you are asking people for their experience with banner ads, if I were to contemplate using you I would be asking people for their experience using your services.
    Was it economically viable.?
    how much did they spend and what was the return ?
    Did you just provide training or did you perform the role of sales agent ?

Small business cashflow is hard enough without spending money and getting nothing in return.
    Some case studies can make all the difference in providing some confidence that it is worth contacting you to see how much it will cost.

As others have noted, you have plenty of content, but it does not make me want to enquire further, ie it doesn't convert.
  12. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

Thanks for your comment. We don't have a problem with conversion, those who come to our website already tried to sell themselves - didn't work, tried commissioned based sales people - didn't work, tried full time inexperienced sales people - didn't work. We offer sales services on demand when we act as our clients' sales team doing different activities. We don't believe in sales training for our clients as sales people will get back to their habits after you disconnect. We take a responsibility to do the whole thing ourselves.

Our goal is to promote our services using banners so more companies will know that we exist and will come to us asking specifically how we can help them. Hope this makes sense. We work with National companies as well as one men - bends , probably we need to create case studies for different categories - small & large companies
  13. ILS_GUy

ILS_GUy Member

Theres your sales pitch right there !!!!
    put that on the landing page & see what happens, it sums up exactly what you do and why I should use you.
  14. Corey

Corey Active Member

15. ILS_GUy

ILS_GUy Member

As I sat down to have a coffee I thought about your site and something suddenly occurred to me.
    I am no salesman or copy writer, but if I was looking for someone to sell my stuff, I would expect their website to "Sell" me on your capabilities. For me it doesnt.
    It doesn't instantly catch my interest and prompt me to look further.
    That would not instill a lot of confidence that you had a good sales team for my products.

Perhaps sales techniques have changed, but to me, I think you need some more stuff that effectively paraphrases what you would be saying if talking to me on the phone, or face to face.
    Clearly you know how to sell in those situations, and can put it down in a forum like this, so why not put the same stuff on the site.
    This becomes even more critical with banner ads & the like, as you only get a few seconds to catch their attention, so the text has to instantly convert to interest.
  16. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

17. Corey

Corey Active Member

Kon,

are your visitors or users of your site confused too?
    what is your brand?
    what do you want to be known as?
    Have you considered re branding with a shorter domain name?

Cheers
    Corey
  18. outsourcingrus

outsourcingrus Member

Hey Corey, nobody should be confused. Businesses use different domain names to attract different visitors, also you can measure the results of where those visitors come from.
    The message seems to be as clear as day - we are Outsourced Sales Solutions company offering sales services on demand.

I think we've shifted a bit from the topic of this post. I was seeking opinions on where to put banner ads to get a good return. Our website is fine and brings the results we need. I will take on board though what you guys highlighted to converse our message better to the visitors. However, the question where good places are to put banner ads into remains open
  19. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Just an comment on your webpage, when I get there, I see one guy smiling at the PC, the rest are sad. I assumed that he was in the process of ordering a ham and pineapple pizza, and the rest missed out on their choice. Just an observation, what I see when I land tells me nothing about what you do.
  20. Corey

Corey Active Member