1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

How much does a Website cost?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Divya R, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Divya R

Divya R Member

Hi All,

I am in the process of getting my website up and running and I already have a professional WordPress template, even though it is not a complicated site, I am finding hard to edit it myself.

I want someone who can set it all up for me so I don't have to go through the trouble.

I am just wanting to know how much would it cost approximately?
  2. AgentMail

AgentMail Well-Known Member

It really is how long is a piece of string question. Depends on number of pages, forms, databases, and on and on, there are so many variables.

It also depends what the purpose of the website is, how you need it to look, what design elements are involved etc.

I wouldn't budget anything less than $1000 for a simple site, and upwards from there if you need additional forms, design elements etc.

If that isn't in your budget, contact your local uni/college and find a student looking to build their portfolio - but don't expect the same results as with a professional web designer
  3. OneArmedGraphics

OneArmedGraphics Active Member

I'd say this could be done in an hour if you have a decent host with cPanel & install scripts.
    I'd charge $50 to $100 if it is a straight forward install + content setup.
    This does not involve template tweaks to suit your branding etc.
    1 person likes this.
  4. OneArmedGraphics

They already said they have a professional template.

Horses. Courses.
  5. SavvySME

SavvySME Active Member

Depends on the template though, you have ones like thesis which is much harder to set up and requires a lot more custom coding if you want to change the look and feel - or you have more straight forward ones.

I would advice to hire someone on an hourly rate to ensure both parties are happy with the exchange. Have them give them an estimate of the time to be spent though. Usually you can find web developers for $50 an hour and upwards.

Thanks for reading,

Wendy
  6. MJS_Virtual

MJS_Virtual Member

Hi D

It really depends a lot on which theme you have chosen (all WordPress themes are not created equal..), how much customisation you require to that theme (changes to colour schemes/fonts etc to match your branding), how much content you have to be set up and how many plugins and widgets you would like to add (things like contact forms, social media integration etc)

I would be happy to quote you if you like - flick me an email to melissa@mjsvirtual.com.au

Good luck with it!
  7. JohnSheppard

JohnSheppard Active Member

You are asking the question wrong.

What it costs is directly related to what you want to achieve...other variables alter the cost in a way that doesn't matter to you...

What do you want to achieve?
    3 people like this.
  8. thewpguy

thewpguy New Member

I would have to agree with the majority here.

A common misconception is 'I'll buy a nice looking theme install WordPress and I'm done'.

To customise most themes you need to work on the front and via admin area and also the back-end via ftp and css editing software. These are skills not learnt overnight.

The cost will really depend on your ability to communicate what you want accurately the first time. Costs will blow out quickly if you keep needing to revise your vision changes are made.

I think these days $1000 is a starting point for reworking an existing WordPress site design.
    1 person likes this.
  9. SmartBizBlog

SmartBizBlog Member

I might just add. If you are getting a developer to modify a theme - make sure he uses a child-theme to make his mods. This way, you can install updates from the main theme without overriding all the changes.

Updates are important because they often fix security holes and bugs. Many developers seem to overlook this.

If you've already bought a theme - I hope it's child-theme friendly. What this means is: if you open the functions.php file - you should see something like this:
    PHP:
    if (! function_exists('somethinghere')) {
      function 
    somethinghere() { 
      }

If you don't see the !function_exists part, then your theme is more than likely not able to have a child-theme developed for it. Which means you will need to have your developer make the theme child-ready, and for future updates the developer will have to plan and schedule it carefully as to not break anything (all future updates would require the developer to make the theme child friendly again - painful).

You can find affordable drones to customise wordpress for about $5/hr on oDesk or Elance. I would then employ a more expensive developer to polish the work done by said drones.

IMO, you can get it done for about $250 easily.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Jefrey

Jefrey New Member

I do wordpress customization myself. I charge depending how complicated the modification is needed.

It would be much easier to create your design instead of modifying a theme or use a framework.
  11. My Wedding Concierge

My Wedding Concierge Active Member

As others have said it depends on what is required, and what you're trying to achieve...
    The costs of web design can vary wildly depending on who you approach, and how they'll go about it, as demonstrated by this very thread with people responding from $50 - over $1000.
  12. MAli

MAli Member

I'm actually in this process right now as I don't have much of a budget. I've looked around and I've found wix.com. They have templates and you simply customise through dropping and dragging. They also have prices in AUD which is important.
  13. Marc D

Marc D Member

how long is a piece of string?

twice the distance as from the middle to one end

(sorry, couldn't resist)

marc
  14. Divya R

Divya R Member

Hi All,

Thank you for all the great advise, I have found a developer who will customize the theme for me and is charging about $25 an hour.

Excellent advise on the child theme SmartBizBlog, I will definitely confirm this with the web developer.

And also I would love to get your feedback on the website once its ready so I'll keep you guys in the loop.

Cheers
  15. My Wedding Concierge

My Wedding Concierge Active Member

I wouldn't recommend WIX as a website platform. It's flash based.
    3 people like this.
  16. toobobby

toobobby New Member

I agree. $1000plus for a website is a lot. You could get a mobile app built for that. If you know what you want and have a plan you get it done fast and cheap. If you stuff around a lot and change things. You'll be hit with the bill.

remember the website is only a start you need to get people there too more $$$ if you don't know how to do that as well
  17. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

If you want quality custom work, then you need to be prepared to pay. Want a template? Sure, you can get something for under $1000.

See that that competitor with the amazing website? It cost them a lot more that $1000 - more likely $10000 or so. That's how much it costs for custom designed sites from a great designer.

Every business needs a website, whether it is a template or a custom site. And I understand that not all businesses can afford a custom site - that's fine - there are some really great paid themes that can be customised so the business still has a professional web presence. But they need to understand the difference between a template site and a custom site, between a $10,000 site and $1,000 site.

You mention traffic? Your spot on. However you need to convert that traffic. That's when your website really shines (or sucks). Conversion conversion conversion. It's should be the number one consideration of all businesses with a site.

So many people start paying for traffic, then wonder why their super dodgy free Wordpress theme or Wix site doesn't get any conversions!

Your website is the shop front of the 21st century.
    6 people like this.
  18. OneArmedGraphics

Matthew I have a lot of respect for you but this post rubs me up the wrong way.

Your business models offers a site with WordPress 'Woothemes' based customisation, and your other site smashingdesign offers a more complete 100% custom design service.

This clearly implies you acknowledge a wide spectrum of different needs within the Web Design services marketplace as you cater to two commonly defined 'ends' of the market.

As much as a professional designer dislikes it, theme and design price alone does not equate to quality or end result. All I mean is there clearly are some very good designs available for small investment.

I am not a professional web designer, just a mere freelancer who uses two different theme frameworks, for 100% completely customised results.
    It's not fair for me to bring my fees into this discussion as I price on a 'moon-lighting' basis where the client understands my availability is evenings/weekends.

I saw your post to the SitesnStores chap where you said "They are customised templates. Which is cool - but you should be clear on that."
    I think it can be argued your site does bot make it clear you are also offering themes designed by someone else.
    http://www.sitesandmore.com.au/designs
    http://www.sitesandmore.com.au/features/beautiful-designs

No where is it mentioned these are Templates from Woothemes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's obviously in a premium web-designers best interest to reinforce the price==quality ethos, I just expected slightly more acknowledgement of the availability of some more affordable options that can be perfectly suitable for certain businesses.

Cheers,
    Robbie
  19. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

Hey I agree with you!

I don't think I even read your original post - sorry if you think I was talking about you - I certainly wasn't.

You can get a good result for a good price - I clearly understand that otherwise I would never have started Sites and More.

But there is a huuuuge difference between that and Smashing.

Planning and graphic design are the two biggest. I spend a lot of hours of planning the site before anything is designed. That is one huge difference. The design happens after the planning stage - 100% custom built from the ground up, based on the planning.

IMHO opinion, planning to the single most important aspect of a custom site. Your job is to get the best outcome for the client, it takes at lot of discussion, research, meetings and planning to get to that point. Pencil drawings, wireframes, flow charts the list goes on.

Sites and More sites look good and are easy to use. I choose to call the templates 'designs' because of the bad wrap templates seem to get. We install them, add all content, and then customise the colours, fonts, and links etc. Never do I suggest that the sites are not pre made. I think it's pretty clear on my site too.

I don't think I need to specify where I get my themes from - that has nothing to do with the client. I am not sure why you felt you needed to mention that here.

Price does not equate quality... I never said that. I have seem $50,000 websites that are a piece of rubbish. HOWEVER, a very cheap price means that the hours spend on the site is limited. This is not me talking, this is economics. If a site is $400 are they going to spend 20 hours planning and having meetings about the site? No - it would not make it economical viable.

The reason I started sites and more is because I was sick of really ugly amateurish websites at the entry level, and wanted to be able to offer good looking and profession designs at a good price.

In regards to the Sites and Stores thread, it turns out they DO custom built their websites, so I was wrong there!

I moonlighted for years before I was able to do this full time, it's hard work, and my hat goes off to you. I did landing pages for cheap for IM on forums. My first 'real' site was 100% custom design for $400. I think I earned about $4 an hour after is was all done!

Once again, I apologise if I offended you :)
    2 people like this.
  20. OneArmedGraphics