1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

How to improve sales in a service station?

Discussion in 'Starting a business' started by cyberahmed786, Jun 24, 2009.

1. cyberahmed786

cyberahmed786 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a servo which is in a quiet suburb, I want to increase my customer base with innovative ides.. can any one help me with some good ideas which I can implement at my servo.

Thanx
  2. Robert Gerrish

Robert Gerrish Administrator Staff Member

Hi there - My father owned a couple of service stations many moons ago and I earned all my pocket money working with him...and totally loved it.

Clearly 'service stations' have changed massively in recent years and the opportunity to offer 'service' has diminished. While I haven't got a mass of immediate ideas for you, I suggest you focus heavily on service.

It strikes me that any retail business within a quiet suburb - at least one that is wanted and likely to be frequented - has a wonderful opportunity to become an important member of the community. And if you can move into a position of offering community value, you can (importantly) move away from being judged purely by the price of your fuel.

So what could you add to the community other than fuel? Please don't think about stuff to sell. Think about what you can give.

Where is the servo incidentally? Can we have a google maps location?

Thanks for reminding me of my hugely enjoyable childhood work!

Robert
  3. BB

BB Member

'Service-station' is a great word - it implies that you give 'service' as opposed to just being a 'fuel-station'.

In these days of falling customer service (and I believe there's another thread about this) the best way to increase your business is offer just that - Customer Service.

There are many people, older ladies particularly, who would just love to have somebody to check the oil and water, check the tyre pressure, and perhaps put the fuel into the car for them. Even cleaning the windscreen will help with gaining repeat business and a great reputation.

You might decide that it's not cost-effective to offer this service everyday, so perhaps the 'quiet' days of the week might help to increase business.

Sometimes it's the simple things that create the best business reputations.

Cheers,

B.B.
  4. Adam Randall

Adam Randall Member

I will always try and use service stations that are not one of the big ones like Mobil or BP, so if you are not part of the big franchises maybe make your service station really stand out from the others we often see.

Failing that, you could always drill small holes in the petrol tanks of everyone that lives within a 5k radius:)
  5. divapromotions

divapromotions New Member

Why not have special dedicated days of the week for some specials. This always gets people talking.

As in one of the above posts, create a 'ladies' day if you like and offer something special and important to them on this day. You might need to do some proper market research surveys to get exactly what they want.

What aren't your competitors doing?

Also, local sponsorships are fantastic. It shows that you are interested in your community and want to be a long term part of it.
  6. cyberahmed786

cyberahmed786 New Member

A big Thank You

A big thank you for ur advice

i will shortly supply u with the google map for my servo
    Thanx again
  7. Warren Cottis

Warren Cottis Active Member

Why are you asking us?

You have people walking into your business every day... living breathing people with needs and wants apart from buying petrol.

Ask them... talk to them... we all want someone to talk to us... engage with them particularly in this down economy?

Ask them what keeps them awake at night? And then go out out and make alliances with local providers to partner with you BECAUSE you control this potential database of people who engage with you at least every week.
  8. CashflowAddiction.com

CashflowAddiction.com New Member

Who are your customers? V8's or BMW's ? :p
    We could answer better if we know your market area...

A few independents have done crazy things like give away a doz eggs "protesting the big guys" and end up with a lot of media coverage... be controversial and 'leak' the info to the media.. Aussies love the little battler.
    Still depends on where you are :p

Cheers,
    Ross.