1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

I have my first event this weekend!

Discussion in 'Starting a business' started by alecia, Apr 5, 2012.

1. alecia

alecia New Member

How very exciting! This weekend I am working at a "Movies in the Park" run by one of the land corporations. Fee-free (I will make a donation to an organisation of their choice most likely, to give me a good rep with them :) )... I have now (finally) got my food licence, my business name, supplies, equipment, etc. I have a few little bits and pieces to organise (+ insurance!).

It is all coming together nicely and it is so exciting!!!!
    3 people like this.
  2. Couple It

Couple It Well-Known Member

Congratulations Alecia !!

All that hard work coming together in time for the biggest and longest weekend of the year :)

Hope you do extremely well.

Wendy :)
  3. alecia

alecia New Member

Couple It - yep I know!!! I sent my food licence in 3 weeks ago, last week we called to check on it, to find it had been sitting around in the wrong department doing nothing. They FINALLY called me about it on Monday to tell me my payment declined (because the wrong department had already taken the money out)... And then I told them I HAVE to have this by the weekend, and they rushed it through for me.

My partner just called and told me he has booked me into some local markets in 2 weeks time aswell. Woohoo! Full steam ahead!
    1 person likes this.
  4. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

That's fantastic news Alecia. Congratulations :)

I hope it goes brilliantly - please pop back in afterwards and let us all know how you get on.

Have fun with it,
    Jayne
  5. alecia

alecia New Member

30 Minutes until I leave and I am freaking out! What if I have forgotten something? What if no one buys anything from me? What if I completely screw something up?

ARGH!!!!
  6. ttb

ttb New Member

I'm sure you have prepared well.. Remember to smile and have fun and use today to learn.. Wishing you every success Virginia @ tickthebox
    1 person likes this.
  7. Couple It

or even worse...what if you don't give it a shot?!?!?

You'll do great :D

2 people like this.
  8. DanielM

DanielM Active Member

How very exciting indeed! Congratulations :)
  9. alecia

alecia New Member

Hi everyone! Thanks for the support. The night went fairly smoothly. A couple of minor hiccups but nothing too bad. It was a great learning experience, and we have found a couple of things I need to address.

I made $200 for the night, which wasn't too bad, but we think it would have been better had I have had better signage, and better lighting on the signage. I had a small number of people who had no idea what I was selling (even after reading the signs...) so we are having a rethink of the signage and working out what we can put on the signs that explain what they are a little better, and also working out larger signs and some lighting (shouldn't be too hard, I am sure I can pick up some little lights that will stick underneath/above the signs to light them).

I found the bottom shelf of my portable oven only burns things, not cooks them (lol), and I (happily) found that I don't use as much sauce as expected, so that has greatly reduced the cost!

I saw another stall of the same sort as mine on the weekend, and they were selling the same thing for $1.50 more than myself (I am selling for $3, so a big difference) so maybe with the new signage I will increase the price slightly.

All-in-all it was a good night, and I feel a lot more comfortable with the whole thing than I did on Friday and Saturday!
  10. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

That's fantastic Alecia - congratulations :)

And how awesome that all the learnings are going to be cheap to implement... I also love that you're thinking of upping your prices by a full 50% after the very first outing. That should have a massive impact on your profit :)

Love your work!
    Jayne
  11. alecia

alecia New Member

Especially because I work for a printing company! Makes it a bit cheaper (and faster) again!

I am considering a price rise, but probably $1 rather than $1.50 (I like to keep the numbers round and easier to work out in my head, whilst I am serving people)...

I also found that everything was pretty easy to put together (even considering it was the first time!) and serving people was really straight forward. And cleanup was a breeze! (Have worked my partner's fairyfloss, popcorn, slushy van for the past year, and my god this is 100x easier than cleanup in there!)

I covered my oven trays with tin foil, which made cleanup an absolute breeze. Very happy with this as a first attempt!
    1 person likes this.
  12. Couple It

Congratulations !! Onwards and upwards from here...