1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Is that an ad in my forum thread?

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by Robert Gerrish, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Robert Gerrish

Robert Gerrish Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

A little update from FSHQ...

As you may know, we're funded primarily by advertising, as we built our business around the publishing model.

Happily, for over a decade, advertising and sponsorship has allowed us to focus on nurturing our community and kept the majority of our resources free for all to enjoy.

The world of online publishing - like every other business - is an ever-changing beast! To respond to some new industry initiatives, we need to adjust how some ads will display, including one change within the forums.

Referred to in publication circles as 'viewability', these new ad standards are now fast becoming the norm. Their guidelines demand that ads only accrue value when seen by a real, live person - rather than just display somewhere on a page.

Frankly it’s about time and sounds totally fair enough to us that paid-for ads should be seen!

The implications are that some ad spots around the site will move with you as you scroll the page. You’ll likely have seen plenty of this happening on many international and local sites already.

For us, it will also mean some ads appearing between forum posts, and we know you won’t love them.

I can assure you that we always tread cautiously with this sort of thing and continue to push back on some requests that are commonplace elsewhere. Again, you’ll have seen behaviours on other sites that you’ll never see here.

Our goal is always to find a balance, and most importantly keep you happy and engaged in your discussions.

We intend to flick the ‘on switch' early next week and as always, will be all ears to feedback and questions as we progress.

Have a great weekend and see you next week,

Robert & the team at FS - Dave, Paul, Kelly, Lisa, Jennifer, Sam and Peter
    d3mad likes this.
  2. J.Zkan

J.Zkan Member

I will white-list my adblocker for FS.

Makes sense, great content of information here and it's for free. I'm sure a little ad here an there won't hurt anyone.

Thanks for the update.
    bradzo and d3mad like this.
  3. Robert Gerrish

Many thanks J.Zhan :)
    bradzo likes this.
  4. LucasArthur

LucasArthur Renowned Member

Hi Robert

So, think this is new as getting a friendly little pop up advertising FS every time I go anywhere in FS on iOS which I need to close every different thread or view I head to - although ta friendly, and understandable, not sure if I will visit on the mobile anymore :(

Are these the ads you are referencing?

Cheers and have an awesome weekend.

Jason
  5. Robert Gerrish

Hmm, no mobile is a different scenario, I'll need to look at the settings of those and better understand the options we have.

Thanks for picking it up.

Robert
  6. Greg_M

Greg_M Renowned Member

Wondered what you were on about until I cleared the cache on my mobile today (Chrome on Android)...very irritating floating window, also difficult to avoid clicking on it. I had wondered what had happened to the banner ad on mobile.

Mobile version is now a pain to use...once, or occasionally is acceptable, every post read is not.
    LucasArthur likes this.
  7. d3mad

d3mad Member

Luckily I don't use the mobile version but would like to see any sort of floating on mobile be gone. That's worse than annoying I too (as at this very moment) and white listing AB on FS, although I notice that it's blocking not one but six ads (probably including other tracking crap* (no offence, I know it's the norm thee days)).

As long as they're not animated/flashy/in-yer-face annoying ads, the very reason I installed AB in the first place.
  8. Robert Gerrish

Thanks for your comments Greg and Dave.

We'll definitely look at how we can adjust those settings on mobile.

Robert
  9. Peter - FS Administrator

Peter - FS Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Hi guys,
    Just a quick update on the mobile ad... based on your feedback we will be adjusting the settings to make it much less intrusive. Unfortunately our tech contact has been off sick today but if further delays tomorrow we'll take it down while we adjust the settings. Sorry about the delay and thanks for the input.
    Cheers, Peter
  10. Robert Gerrish

Hi all

We've made some temporary adjustments to the forum 'floating footer' ad on mobile and have thus far been able to restrict to just display on the forum homepage.

Our intention is to activate the other 'between posts' ads in the next 24 hours and while we know you won't necessarily adore them, we hope you'll be accepting.

We'll all be under our desks,

Robert :)
    bb1 and Peter - FS Administrator like this.
  11. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Yes it is an ad in the thread, seems to be working ok on a desktop
  12. Greg_M

Greg_M Renowned Member

I have been reading FS off mobile the last couple of days (Samsung S6), the ad in the thread is a much better than the previous floating option.

There's a fair bit of lag time between the actual post loading and the ad loading behind it...makes the page jump significantly (old man losses his place).

Not a big deal when you work out what's going on, but could be off putting to a new user perhaps?

Hope it succeeds in paying some bills.
  13. thao12

thao12 Member

Makes sense, great content of information here and it's for free
  14. Corey

Corey Active Member

increasing the number of ads, does not necessarily increase your revenue.

Is it and does it effect members experience and time spent on the forum?

Cheers
    Corey
  15. Robert Gerrish

Thanks Corey, the metrics you mention are clearly v important and are ones we'll be watching carefully.

Robert :)
    Corey likes this.