1. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Looking to Import from India

Discussion in 'Logistics' started by ranvir, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ranvir

ranvir New Member

Hi Everyone

I am thinking to start importing from India. I dont have any previous experience in doing so but i have contacts in india who can help me with items i am looking to import.

Artificial Jewellery , Clothing , Blankets and Marble Items

I know lot of places in India where i can buy these items for cheap.
    I just want to know if anyone is already doing so in Australia. Also how can I look for retailers who would be interested to buy from me. I wanted to know their requirements so that I can only cater that

Any help would be beneficial

Thanks
    1 person likes this.
  2. Krisy

Krisy Member

Hi Ranvir

I think it is a good idea to import stuff from India. Importing from India has a lot of advantages and India made some good stuff too. Good luck with that. The question is how to sell in the Australian market, firstly you need to prove that your stuff is good, meaning good quality,value,price etc. And you need to do a little bit of advertising so people get to know your products, and if you are selling certain type of products there might be requirements for you to meet. and you also need to consider how to cacluate your costing to cover all the costs that may incurr during the process of your order. I think there is a lot to think about and you should make sure you cover all those points before starting to work on your target market. It is always very important to know your products well. I think we are kind of on the same boat so good luck!

Krisy

3. theneemies

theneemies New Member

Hi Ranvir:

We beginning our research of similarly importing (fabrics) from India. Just wondering what your experiences with customs, duty, freight etc was like?

Got any tips and pointers :)
  4. bhargavsunil

bhargavsunil New Member

I am also in the same process, I have talked to some of the manufacturers, in India, it depends what you want to buy & how much you want to buy(as far as fright is concerned) Would appreciate if some one would give some idea, about what would be the best way to sell them in Australia???
  5. [Former] FS Concierge

[Former] FS Concierge Well-Known Member

Hi bhargavsunil, and welcome to Flying Solo,

I think that in order for any of the community here to give you advice, you're going to have to share a bit more information with us, such as the type of items you're purchasing and some insight into how far you've progressed with your business plan.

It's also a good idea to introduce yourself to the community here by telling us a bit about yourself in the New members section of the forum. The community here is very generous, but people are most inclined to share their insights after they feel they've gotten to know you a little.

I hope that helps, and that you enjoy being part of the forum,
    Jayne
  6. bhargavsunil

bhargavsunil New Member

Thanks Jayne. Actually I am thinking about bringing products like, cushion covers, bed sheets prior to moving to Australia (Adelaide), I worked as Business development Manager,in India,in pharmaceutical sector, I have spoken to some of the manufacturer in India, can negotiate with them, but not sure how to start in Australia, can some one help me out please.
    Sunil.
  7. BuyGlobal

BuyGlobal New Member

Hi Everyone,

Regards to selling your goods I would recommend heading over to the Selling Online section and have a good read as there is some great info in there.

Feel free to drop me a message if you have any questions regarding freight costs and so on.

Nic
  8. Sam2233

Sam2233 New Member

Hi bhargavsunil,

Regarding import duty and required permit (if any), you can send me the packing list before arranging the import. We have in-house broker to check for related Custom regulations.

Any question feel free to shoot me an email:
    sam@auslineshipping.com.au

Cheers