1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Marketing an accounting service

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Paul Wineberg, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Paul Wineberg

Paul Wineberg Member

Hi all,
    I have a question in relation to marketing my service.

As a firm, we have decided that we want to do more than just tell our clients their profit figure and tax payable at year end, which is a service many accountants deliver.

We have developed a spreadsheet for our business clients which studies trends based on the data in the profit and loss statement and balance sheet. This means we open lines for discussion, as the client can instantly see that thier average debtor days is increasing, or it is taking them longer to turnover stock each year, and numerous other ideas come out of this.

This gets me fantastic referral work from existing clients, as they love the ideas that come out of this type of work. However, I am having trouble with actually conveying this to potential clients, apart from people who I sit down an chat with. So these are generally in my network already.

So, my question is, how is the best way to get the message out to people who do not know me?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
  2. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

I think testimonials, and focus your advertising on your point of difference.
    Maybe something beginning with
    "would it be usefull to know..."
  3. SavvySME

SavvySME Active Member

Usually the way I would start simplifying what the benefits are.

1. We provide you with valuable insights from your data that can improve the performance of your business.

e.g. 1 (case study here)

etc.

Something like that. You usually break it down to 3 areas and benefits and back it up with some results. That's usually the easiest way to convince a customer :)

Would love to hear what you come back with!

Thanks for reading,

Wendy Huang - Co-founder of SavvySME - A new social platform for small businesses
  4. Paul Wineberg

Paul Wineberg Member

Great suggestions. I like the "provide valuable insights....." bit, its well worded.

I am also going to look at some testimonials for clients.

I am just finding it easy to actually get the information across to face to face meetings and people in my network, but i the cold calling side, people don't want to even get to that point in the conversation.

Tricky one! Thanks heaps for your feedback.

Paul
  5. MultiMedia

MultiMedia New Member

It is always harder when trying to sell a service rather than a product too. Have you considered contacting people / businesses who have been your clients previously? Possibly renewing the business relationship
  6. Tony Pfitzner

Tony Pfitzner Active Member

Hi Paul

I would do some market analysis on keywords that are likely to be used by business owners who could use your services, and produce some case studies e.g. "cash flow management", "business plan" or whatever

Even better would be real client testimonials with specific figures.

Then set up pay per click campaigns based on these keywords that are limited to your geographic catchment area. Link the ads to the actual case studies with a call to action for more information.

If you do this correctly your prospect will be pre-sold. Cold calling is very inefficient and sooo last century:)
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012