1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Marketing Ideas for website

Discussion in 'Selling online' started by theeverydaytrader, Nov 28, 2012.

1. theeverydaytrader

theeverydaytrader New Member

Hi,

I am after some marketing ideas to drive up sales of my website product.
    I sell an online course in trading stocks/shares. The sales are ok, but not great. I have done SEO work, article submissions, twitter and facebook to try and increase the sales all of which have had a small effect. I would LOVE any ideas on how to promote my product and increase traffic and sales on my site.

The Everyday Trader

Thanks
  2. Shout Out Digital

Shout Out Digital Member

I would gather a guess that your niche is very hard to rank in Google as it is pretty saturated right now. When doing SEO for something like this, you need to keep plugging away for months on end and make sure you are concentrating on longtail keywords which will highly convert into a buyer of your product/service.

Another way to gain new traffic is PPC with platforms such as Google adwords. This will get you some decent immediate traffic but comes at a price so focus again on keywords which are likely to convert into a client.

Sometimes these new website visitors won't immediately buy your product/service as well and you need to gain their trust, so you need to entice your visitors to follwo you on facebook, twitter and perhaps setup an email marketing subscription which provides some free advice. If you provide them enough free advice to get their juices flowing then they will buy because they trust you. Also your followers will share your content and this creates free backlinks for your SEO.

There are many more key ways to promote your product/service but these are some of the key ways to get you started. I'm sure some other members will also help you out.

If you found this helpful, please send over a thanks as I try to build up my profile here and Good Luck with your business venture. Neil
    4 people like this.
  3. Trustedwebsites

Trustedwebsites New Member

Hi Everydaytrader!

I took a brief look through your website. Are you an Australian based business? Although I see that your product can be purchased globally, where are you based?

There are various factors that i feel would develop far more trusted perception of your site and could assist with the sales. You are welcome to message me privately.

Bob Keen
    MD
    www.trustedwebsites.com.au
  4. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

Letterbox drops, advertising in the local cafe magazine are just a few other ideas. Perhaps you could also draw up some kind of brochure.
  5. Jon W

Jon W New Member

For your niche Youtube videos I think would do well. I have watched many videos on trading and often follow up on the person making them if they are good. Also your website looks like the sleazy car salesman of websites. Just visiting your website for 5 seconds I know I would never buy the product no matter how compelling the text is. I don't know if that kind of website setup still works for sales (or ever really did), but its just screams snake oil sales man. Not saying the product your selling is bad, just my take on the site set up and structure.
    1 person likes this.
  6. tonyk

tonyk Well-Known Member

I agree. The website could do with some polishing. I would suggest that you speak to theblogdesigner.com.au. Very affordable and professional.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

Is the problem low traffic? Or a low conversation rate?

To me your website looks just like another one of those generic "self help, buy my course to make money, secret to success" websites that sell junk to people who are desperate.

I've clicked through to sites like this before, full of squeezes, testimonials which may or may not be real, and one time offers etc. Just looked like a big squeeze page.

Please don't be offended just giving you my impressions, if I clicked through to this, I might have a read but I wouldn't buy anything. It just doesn't look professional, and too generic.

If you're already getting decent traffic, then obviously you need to get better conversions and that's a presentation issue.
    4 people like this.
  8. JustJames

JustJames Active Member

As others have said, sharpen up the copy on the web site. If nothing else, nuke "But wait...there's more!" from orbit.

If you are Aussie based, include an ABN.

Make it easy for prospects to contact you.

Think about offering a "taster" of your course as a freebie.

Consider splitting your info into several web pages rather than force feeding everything all at once.

James
    1 person likes this.
  9. Click-ology

Click-ology New Member

On a Quick glance.

80% of your results come from your headline !

Breaking yours down:
    Headline - grammar errors and issues with content and the way it flows. There is no emotion or appeal to greed.

Your headline needs to POP.

The opening paragraph - Should speak to prospective clients, not everyone. Qualify the reader & Proove you understand there situation

the rest is all topical however i would add Video testimonial or at the least images of the people from your testimonials.

Animation also does wonders, if you can somehow animate your results or graph/ illustrate performance expectations.

This is all about building trust and a relationship, enough trust that someone will hand over some cash !

Good luck with it...

If you need more help - PM me
  10. John Romaine

John Romaine Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. Tessa Hartnett

Tessa Hartnett Member

Hi The Everyday Trader,

Everyone has provided some amazing advice and feedback on here. I feel much the same way as others, your page is an old school 'sales letter' that has me running for the hills!

Another thought, you mention you have an e-book. We have found with our e-book, that listing on Amazon has greatly increased out 'credibility' and sales. We will also run it for free as a promotion and let our fans on FB know. We noticed that sales are always much greater after this promo runs. It also means you can start to generate testimonials on Amazon that people believe, rather than just quotes on a webpage.

You could than offer a link at the end of your e-book letting people know you have a course that they can purchase through your website.

I hope that this helps, if it does please hit 'thank you'.

Keep us all posted on how you move forward :)
    Tessa
  12. theeverydaytrader

theeverydaytrader New Member

Hi,

A big thank you to everyone for your feedback and comments.
    Im off to make a few changes!

Thanks
    Dave
    1 person likes this.
  13. dmac

dmac New Member

Aside from the thought-provoking critique from our fellow FS members on this thread, I'd like to share my 2 cents on your concern. One of the essential elements to improve the conversion rate is to personalize your squeeze page to let the visitors know who you really are. Just a question though, are you Dave Limburg? or is Dave Limburg one of your avid subscribers who presented his testimonial after using your trading course book? Looking at the first picture of two happy guys who won the competition, you wouldn't really know who is Dave here (if it's a guy on the left or on the right). This part is quite unclear to me and maybe to other visitors as well.You can insert a picture only of yourself and with a clear signature below your sales/squeeze page so that visitors know who they are really dealing with and eliminate the doubts on their minds.

It's good that you don't use too much color & flashing graphics as compared to the other horrifying squeeze pages that I've encountered before. However, just what others have said before, you really need to improve on the design and make it more tasteful and make sure that your copywriting is superb that should compel your would-be customers to stay long enough to opt-in their email ads or buy your product.
  14. PohlerCreative

PohlerCreative Member

If you want my honest opinion, I don't believe. Now I can't say that I dot believe you, I don't believe the product offer or I don't believe that the both are amazing and I don't believe that I would be able to make it work for me. I think I kind of agree with Jamie, if it worked so well for you why bother going through all the trouble. Instead of believing, maybe it more of an issue of trust. First impression of the website was that I wanted to hit the back button and I believe you are realising that a redesign is in order.

I would love to see some info graphics nicely done and strategically placed in your website. It might be hard to do, but if someone can figure out a way to see actual checks, statements or something like that. I would also love to see is an offer to sign up for a weekly email, newsletter, tips and tricks, ten page ebook...something of value that you can offer in exchange for some marketing information. If your product is as good as you believe the people won't know why they are great tips until they buy your products. Convince them this way as well.

Something else that I would build my trust in you would be to start podcasting. There are so many topics that you could cover as well as interview from successful investors. Podcasts are great to share knowledge and can really label you are an expert...further convincing to believe in you and your offerings.

I would also start blogging. The stick and shares market moves so fast that info needs to be instant. If you combined blogging with a Twitter post informing customers of a development, it could work really well.

Last thing I would do is a great LinkedIn profile with credible recommendations. Anyone can write recommendations about anyone or anything, but LinkedIn allows me to chase those recommendations and get the information I am craving to believe you, I would be more inclined to buy.

I feel with some of these strategies or all of them, people will not only discover you from a web search, but also from a podcast, blogs and possibly from a LinkedIn search.

The fact you care enough to ask on here is a great start in my opinion.

Good luck!

Bobby - Pohler Creative

Head over to my LinkedIn or Facebook profile more!

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=43673995

www.facebook.com/pohlercreative
  15. PohlerCreative

PohlerCreative Member

16. MH08

MH08 Active Member

Very very tough industry your in.

A lot of the forum enthusiasts are correct about your business.

If you like PM me and I can give you some reality points about your business.

Information I can help you with are from industry professionals in the highest level of finance brokerage and everyday people who have a huge success from trading derivatives.

Cheers,
  17. sundancer

sundancer New Member

Without knowing more about your website such as your traffic, conversion, bounce rate, and current marketing strategy I can't really say. The initial thing that struck me was that I was not sure whether your target market is Australian or American due to the .com and you're in a small business forum for Australia so if you were targeting the Australian market you'd have a .com.au.

Having previously worked in a company that did plenty of product launches for our North American partners, including using landing pages such as what you've created here, I would say that your website also needs a bit more effort to look more legitimate.

1) Try hiring a really good quality Copywriter - if you need a quality one who has experience selling millions of products, feel free to PM me.
    2) Your layout is not really attractive - eg the grey course modules looks a little dull and the testimonials don't really pop out.

Otherwise, another technique you can employ is to create a blog. It does take more work as you would need to update it more regularly, but you can drive traffic and email subscribers to this landing page once you've got them in your funnel.

And then it really just goes down to your marketing strategy after you've got that all sorted out.
  18. Phillip P

Phillip P Active Member

I have developed strategies for a few trading, real estate courses and other such products over the years. Strategies that have cleared over 10m a year.

I have quickly gone over what everyone else is saying and some are right some are based on personal opinions which dont mean sh!t in the online world.

Your offering a way out to people. To do this, is freedom. Almost the silver bullet typical mumbo jumbo bullsh!t but the truth is heaps of people out there that will buy or try cause many are looking for the EASY way instead of the experience way. Many people are looking for the express lane instead of the years of work lane and this is where you come in.

First of all your sales page shouldnt be the first thing people see. it should be some form of website/blog telling people who you are, why they should listen to you, why your doing this for them. How you have made your money (Or havent but they dont need to know that your promoting).

Build a free 7 day ecourse so you can get people in your email list. Have a free training constatly and build rapport. Keep sending people great content and proof content. Like testimonials picturesof cheques from others and tell them OTHER peoples stories. People love stories.

Then make them an offer they cant refuse and send them to your sales page. Your sales page needs a video a massive buy button underneith then the rest of the long copy at the bottom.

Dont bother with adwords your looking at $15 clicks and your not allowed to promote sales pages and get rich quick schemes.

What you should bother with is get an affiliate program happening and try recruite affiliates and offer them 30% for the trouble.

Unless this is an affiliate program already... offer then less :)

Remember to have fun making money.

Thanks,
    Phil
  19. Shaukat Adam (Khalid)

Shaukat Adam (Khalid) Well-Known Member

With all due respect to others but no one can really and truly help without diagnosing your personal and business aspirations.

There are some good tactics (not strategies) shared by other members and if you follow them and fail, don't blame them or their ideas.

There is alot of focus on media ie adwords, websites, ebooks, linkedin, etc and not enough emphasis on the market you are catering to or the message they will resonate with.

for example, a young guy who just watched wall street 1 and 2, wants to be the next "gordon gecko" or "jordan belfort" has a completely different motivation to a redundant former corporate executive who is exploring franchise vs trading.

I've met housewives who trade futures and forex options and they have a completely different motivation to the above two.

Addressing them with the same message is only going to increase cost per lead and reduce sales. might as well go on the street and use a microphone.

If you are paying $15 per click for adword, you're not segmenting your list by nice or subculture and ofcourse, your roi is terrible. now, there are those who pay more than $15 per click and happy to because they have great up, down and cross sells, referral systems to maximise customer lifetime value.

You will get tips, but that's all they are. you need to study marketing or hire someone who can help you generate measurable returns on every dollar you put in.

Business is not about giving it a "go". That's like driving a car on a highway with no speed limits without having learned how to drive. It's called suicide and that's why so many business owners give up or are frustrated with their sales.

Be smart, invest in your education particularly on lead generation and conversion.

Don't be like the majority who crash and then blame the car or the road when they haven't even studied for their "L" plate.
  20. JohnW

JohnW Well-Known Member

Hi Everydaytrader,
    When I go to your website it looks like it is one of the countless formula driven "how to sell our product on the web" sites.

My guess is that you have a "guru" with a "magic formula" that you have been following.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, whatever SEO work you have had implemented is irrelevant / ineffective. I.e. Your site looks like it is cyberjunk. (No one can find it.)
    Regs,
    JohnW