1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Mobile EFTPOS machine

Discussion in 'Talking technology' started by KoB, Jun 25, 2009.

1. KoB

KoB Member

Hi,

Has anyone has any experience with an EFTPOS machine? There are so many in the market that I am a little overwhelmed. What are the pitfalls to watch out for? Are there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

KoB
  2. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Member

Ingenico seem to be the "de-facto" standard.

But what is your use case? Mobile of course, but do you want to upload the data somewhere afterwards, or will you just key data from the report?

Reception of course is something you need to consider. On the other end of the equation is the bank. If you have a bank already in mind, then they may already have a range of EFTPOS machines they will provide, which will make your selection simpler.

Paul
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. Jost Stollmann

Jost Stollmann New Member

Hello KoB

I launched an Acquiring Bank in Australia to compete with the big banks. We help particularly SMEs. Have a look at www.tyro.com

If you have broadband access just pop the terminal in and it works. For mobile application we have a GPRS model. All transactions are real-time online.

Good luck!

Jost
  4. TSH-SR

TSH-SR Member

Hi KoB,
    It is overwhelming, but everyone is out to sell you their best most expensive unit, not what is the best fit for your business.

For my business I went through the exercise and spoke to clients and contacts about what they wanted a Tradesman to have as far as payment options, spoke to a few companies about mobile coverage in the areas I cover and then the upgrade and updating costs on top of your bank fees/merchant fees.

Believe it or not but the best result for me and my situation, works everywhere that I am at no cost to me or my customers, just the normal bank merchant fees. It is an old fashioned Click Clack paper voucher machine.
    Sure I can only take Credit Cards, but 97% of the people I spoke too, want to pay with credit cards for points etc not Debit from their account.

Occasionally I get excited about a new machine or service and think I should bring the last dinosaur in my business into the 21st century, but when I work through it all again - the paper based system works so well in my situation, at the moment.

All the best with it.
    Tony
  5. CashflowAddiction.com

CashflowAddiction.com New Member

There's a couple of apps for the iphone / nokia's which let you take cards.. you need an online merchant account which can also be tied into your website..
    I looked into it a month or so ago but my current business doesn't require it.

Soon though :)
  6. BB

BB Member

Hey Kob,

I'm with Tony - it comes down to price. Of course, it also depends on how often you're going to use the dang thing.

I found that the cheapest option, and perhaps the most simplest, is (like Tony) the old "click-clack" machine. We only have to pay the bank fees on each transaction. And, oddly enough - my customers prefer to pay via cash or cheque. (seems to me that most folk are getting very wary of bank fees in all areas)

Whichever product you decide on - make sure you get the bottom line regarding fees!

Cheers,

B.B.
  7. CrashIT

CrashIT New Member

Actually I would go one better, cheaper, quicker faster.

Just ask you bank to give you web access.

we are with nab and they have a website called transact.

I can do a credit card transaction from anywhere that has web access.

Or fire up my laptop, log onto the web using my 3 card, log onto the website and bingo.

no fancy machines, no gimmics, just simple secure website.

too easy.
  8. LeelaCosgrove

LeelaCosgrove Member

Another option if you want it to be even EASIER ... EWay now offer access using windows-based mobile phones. So precisely the same as above - you just log on to the internet and put in the credit card details - but in this case, you don't need to carry your laptop around.
  9. EFTPOSCO

EFTPOSCO New Member

Hi KoB,

a few things, when using the non-bank payment services you will pay a lot for it, and the service will not always be there, if you use the internet payment systems this may lose you business as some people are not comfortable giving details in this way, also people are not comfortable having their details being punched in to a laptop.

having dealt with many banks, there are hidden fees, such as premiums and overseas cards, and corporate cards, be sure to ask about these also.

I have been in the EFTPOS arena for a few years now and have quite some knowledge on all banks and service providers.

The main thing is to establish what you need it for, are you retail, are you at trade shows or country areas.

The next step is to find out the type of industry you are in.

One thing the banks will do is offer you there standard rates, while they expect their clients to go directly to them and not shop around for better prices. This is why i still see people paying 2+% per transactions.

We see that our clients get below the 1% mark for the credit cards (being visa/mastercard) amex and diners do charge more. And is generally not negotiable. Unless some special deals are on offer (rare), it is still good to take these cards as these card holders are likely to spend more (also dependant on your industry type).

The next few questions would depend on the expected turnover you have forecasted. And average ticket sizes.

My only advise would be to shop around before committing to one bank.

feel free to call us for free advice. www.eftposconnection.com.au

We ensure your features are met, along with price and service.

Hope this helps, quick summary; ensure you shop around. ensure you dont go to your home bank and make sure you negotiate! it is your money they are taking for this service. If you want someone to do it for free for you and ensure you get the best deal see us last.

Also it can take 10 days or more to get terminals so if you are launching soon if not already might be worth doing this early on in the piece.

Cheers

Anthony
  10. mobbiexpress

mobbiexpress New Member

Hi KoB,

If your still looking and you find that a standard EFTPOS machine is to large or reception is not the best, we offer a Windows mobile solution that uses any windows mobile touchscreen phone as the interface to our card reader/printer. We use your phones data plan to make the connection to the banks, so if GPRS fails, go to 3G, no 3G then wifi, etc.

Its limited to credit cards but like TSH-ISS has said, most people perfer to use credit cards.

Regards,

Andrew
    www.mobbiexpress.com
  11. david.pagotto

david.pagotto New Member

Hello, KOB

I have had experience with both mobile and fixed EFTPOS machines.

If you have a retail outlet I would strongly suggest an EFTPOS machine, however if you are online there are many other options to explore which other have been previously mentioned.

I have used Merchant Link for all my EFTPOS setups and they seem well priced with good service.

The mobile machine was always good (in good reception areas) for trade shows, but the fixed line machine has been more reliable over time.

Are you going to use it in a retail shop?

Please give us a few more details if you would.

Regards,
    David Pagotto
  12. King

King Well-Known Member

Anopther product is MiniMint

Features of MiniMint:

MiniMint includes software for a Smartphone:

* Record and process all credit card, Visa and MasterCard debit card, plus record cash, and cheque payments.
    * Generate receipts and email or SMS them to your customer.
    * Includes training video to get you started.
    * Includes software upgrades for 12 months.
    * Includes technical support for 12 months.

Your own online reporting website:

* Records every transaction for future reference.
    * Export reports into a spreadsheet for accounting purposes.
    * Monitor field staff progress.
    * Provides unprecedented insight into sales transactions.
    * A business can have one user or hundreds of users reporting to the same back end system.

Just to toss into the mix
  13. Richard Auchter

Richard Auchter New Member

We use eway.com.au
    Very simple system, in particular, when you create the transaction, both the client and us get a confirmation email. If client has insufficient funds, they also get an email informing of the same. You can set up repeat payment etc.
    We use to manage the transactions within our website (shopping cart) as well as everyday transactions. Good value, simple solution. Happy to reccomend.
  14. Chad Zani

Chad Zani New Member

Hi,

If you are starting a business that is going to be helping the general public, then you must be able to accept Proprietary Debit Cards. These are the debit cards issued by the major banks in Australia, not Visa Debit card etc etc.

You need a mobile eftpos terminal, and whilst some of the other replies seem good, you will be left without being able to accept the most common of debit cards.

We can assist you, without any joining fees to get an eftpos terminal for your business that will handle all cards, we can even have you set up for American Express and Diners and no charge too.

If you want to give your business every chance of being succesful, world famous business coaches such as Brad Sugars, will recommend you make it as easy as possible for your client to pay you, and I couldnt agree more.

We have traditional eftpos for only $16.50 a month, and 100% mobile devices using a telstra sim (dont get anything else, they dont work!) from $30 a month.

I hope this helps, and there are other fees and charges payable. If you let me know what sort of business you have I would be glad to assist.

Best of luck,

Chad Zani
    CEO
    Ezepos - EFTPOS made EASY
  15. CarlDon

CarlDon New Member

Hi all,

Just adding my .02cents. I've got a mobile eftpos unit from Live EFTPOS www.liveeftpos.com.au and have never looked back. It's greatly improved my cash flow, I only pay for it when i use it, im not tied down and there was virtually no hassles in getting it. I got my terminal in less than 48 hrs.

Basic run down...

No joining fee
    No monthly rental fee
    No connection fee
    No deposit

All they charge is a simple transaction fee. When factoring that there is no other costs at all, this works out to be the cheapest option.

They give free unlimtied paper rolls. Their service is awesome. ALways happy to help

ALL major credit cards/debit cards accepted. (amex, diners, visa, master card, debit etc). Reposting is all done online. Website states offices in all major cities.

website again is www.liveeftpos.com.au
  16. Mumnesia

Mumnesia Member

When we are at Expo's we use our portable eftpos machine, which came supplied with our merchant facility, so we have had it a while. All the rest is through Eway which is an easy to use system and very cheap, it will back off your existing website if you have one. We have a lot of return clients so their details are stored without having to keep asking them.
    I think they have an app for phone use now as well.
    When we are at split sites, one will have the eftpos and another will take a laptop, so we can take a sale whenever the need arises.
    The aspect I like about Eway is that you can track & view all the past sales not just daily totals for reconciliation.
  17. CarlDon

CarlDon New Member

Though, correct me if I'm wrong, with eway you have to pay fees to them (deposit, monthly etc) and then you have to go get your own merchant facility with the bank (which will only give you visa/matercard and will charge fees and a possible deposit) and then you have to go to Amex/Diners if you would like a merchant with them... all a tiresome process (at least for me). With Live EFTPOS I got all of the above from day one and with no monthly fees, no deposit, no contracts etc. I also get reporting that gives me details per transaction as they come so i can reconcile accordingly...

hope the weekend is good!

carl d.
  18. flower-child

flower-child Active Member

this thread is 2 years old - it would seem someone may be digging them up for self promotion......
    1 person likes this.