1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

Need help with security camera choice.

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by bne, Jul 11, 2014.

1. bne

bne Member

Hi all, im Ben, Im pretty much new here and if this post does not belong here please delete or relocate the post.

Anyhow, I'm a small business owner and what I'm dealing with is probably exactly what everyone is facing at some stage in their business life, feeling insecure walking away from the business.

So, I've decided to upgrade my security camera system. Just this morning I've got someone came in from Omni Vision assessing and evaluating to see what are the options for my type of business. So what i needed is to have 12 Digital HD cameras to cover most of the blind spots, Repositioning cables, remove replace / add on new cables for additional cameras. and they've quoted me $10,000 for the whole job to be completed. Has anyone ever dealt with Omni Vision? how are they like? what are their services like? what are their products like?

Paying that amount of money for a system is okay, but is that really the market price? or am i just getting bent over?

To be honest I am clueless on how much i should pay for a good system so if anyone here can shed some light on this topic, i would be much appreciated.

Would also like to know any other reliable, trustworthy companies out there.
    please share your experiences. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. Dave - FS Concierge

Dave - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Ben,

I can't offer any advice except to get quotes from a couple of companies. If nothing else it will make you feel better about your first quote. But anyway I wanted to welcome you to the forums. So welcome! Hope to see you around. :)

Dave
  3. bne

bne Member

Thanks Dave for the welcome.

That's exactly the plan, getting a few quotes. But the thing is there are so many different companies out there, i must find a few reputable companies before getting quotes or else it might be a very time consuming task. Always good to watch few companies competing for the job and lowering their prices ;).

Anyway still open for opinions or advice. Please feel free to leave your experiences.
  4. EthiSEC

EthiSEC Member

Depending on the cameras, DVR and other equipment to me it sounds like a reasonable price. I just had a look at a price list I have for so quality, yet reasonably priced IP cameras, also, depending on the camera and DVR combination you are looking at, you'll drop an easy $6,000 just on hardware.

Make sure the kit is from a reputable vendor and is supported by someone other than the person selling it to you.

HTH,

Jason
  5. bne

bne Member

Now that the more i read about it the more confuse it gets. There's DVR stand alone unit and PC-Based DVR and NVR... ideally, seems like for me the PC based DVR seems a lot more suitable for me as its accessible through other PC's. which means i can actually lock up the PC-based DVR at the same time access it through my laptop for configuration. As for cameras, i do need Hi res, IR. but apparently if purchasing the cameras separate from the DVR unit ill have to buy some sort of register code? too much muck around if thats true
  6. help4bis.com

help4bis.com Active Member

Depends how high, and how much quality.

I use ISPY http://www.ispyconnect.com/download.aspx, it is exactly what I need, I also use IP cams instead of the CCTV ones.

CCTV are better no argument, but I am ok with IP for the moment.

A lot depends on how vandalism proof they need to be, and water proof. If you have a PC running 24x7 for whatever reason I would use that one and something like ISPY.

Our setup has a few cams around at the usual entry points and one actually looking to the office server room door. If someone comes in, snapshot is taken and uploaded to our datacentre in BNE. So if they steal the server in the office we still have you on FB in no time.

Have a look at ISPY, if any you can get some ideas from there.
  7. BuddyBoy

BuddyBoy Member

Hi Ben,
    My first question would have to be..... Do you need that many cameras?
    The other thing I would like to ask is ... do you need the best footage you can get
    to enable you to identify a burglar etc?
    Are you just wanting to have vision of what is outside before you venture out?
    I have 4 cameras that I set up for my home and the quality isn't the best but its still ok and it cost me less than $200 DIY install.
    There are plenty of systems around that you can wire yourself but if you want the best quality you will have to pay big money.
  8. EthiSEC

EthiSEC Member

Hi Ben,

This isn't an area I typically work in but I do have some exposure to some systems. If you are dealing with IP based cameras you'll typically be dealing with an NVR but this device will, do the same, maybe more than most DVRs.A dedicated NVR would be more reliable IMO than a PC based equivalent, it will also be accessible from other devices connected to the network.

Some vendors will charge extra for licenses which is probably what they are talking about when they say a register code.

I'd suggest you develop a specification of what features you want and get other vendors to quote on that. Communicating a clear set of expectations at the outset will help avoid disappointment after the deal is done.

Jason
  9. BuddyBoy

BuddyBoy Member

Hi Ben,
    As mentioned earlier, I did mine for under $200.
    You can get them with 500gig hdd built in to DVR and 8 high resolution camera on eBay for less than $500.
    I can view my cameras on my mobile,laptop,desktop and ipad.
    For $10,000 I would want a system worthy for a bank.
  10. bne

bne Member

I don't want mean to sound vain, but I now believe in what you pay is what you'll get just because I've been stuffed around too much, thinking getting a cheap one will do the job and ending up regretting it.

In term of quality I really need very good set of cameras/base unit, its not a bank I'm operating but we do deal with decent amount of cash daily so it is important to see clearly what's happening around the counter where the cash exchange, store room and making sure what the customers are up to in the blind spot.
    But these are all each to their own, just like everything else, there is no one for all.

"I'd suggest you develop a specification of what features you want and get other vendors to quote on that. Communicating a clear set of expectations at the outset will help avoid disappointment after the deal is done."

Think ill go back to step 1 do some more research for spec and features im looking for.

I'll keep you guys updated with my final decision to hopefully help anyone who'll one day be in the same shoes as I' am.

You guys been very helpful, many thanks.

-Ben
  11. help4bis.com

Hey ben,

True so true, get the just enough for what you need. Overkill is exactly that.

Few things though.
    - Most cameras need power and some wires.
    - DVR/NVR need power.

So why did I go NVR and not DVR.
    - POE (Power Over Ethernet) this is the computer cable (generally blue). Using POE I get the data (image/audio) and power to the camera in ONE cable. But I have the option for other power sources if I want to.
    - CCTV needs two cables one for image and one for power, being it low power you are limited to the run of the cable. I do not have this limitation with POE so much.
    - DVR BNC restriction, this is how many cameras you can plug in (thos funny round plugs at the back) if your DVR has 4 than that is its limit 4 cams.
    - IP cams have all sorts of smarts, sending emails with motion detection, they have their own build in "web server" you do not really need an NVR but it is better,
    - Lot of IP cams come with PTZ, (pan, tilt, zoom) so that is handy if you need it. (we used it for fun, tracking our dogs in the back yard...it followed the dog as far as it could, when it came back in the vision it started to follow it again... pretty snazzy)

Some other pointers.
    - DVR and CCTV needs to be powered, same applies to NVR.
    - UPS (big battery which keeps my system up when power goes down), I have my network on a ups so power is not an issue, you can do the same with DVR I guess.

Shopping list:
    - POE capable switch ($64)
    - IP cam(s), you can add as many as you want really, no limitations. ($74 bucks up) Check resolution, the higher the number the better the detail (I believe),but comes at a price for bandwidth (more kb's etc) compression like H.264 is a must. IR-LED's the more the better you can "see" at night and the further you can "see" at night.
    - Computer (lets say $300)
    - UPS ($200 and up)
    - Bunch of CAT5 or CAT6 cables. ($15 for 30m). CAT5 will do but CAT6 is better it is a shielding thing...
    - IPSpy or similar (free and up I would recommend the paid version)

So for under a $1000 bucks you can get a pretty good system to start of with.
    You can add cams later.

NOTE: This stuff is not my speciality so take my comments as is.

(edit)
    Ben and I posted pretty much at the same time so this post looks a bit out of place :) sorry.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. PerfectNotes-Kathy

PerfectNotes-Kathy Active Member

Hi Ben,

I have to agree with your comment that everyone's needs will be different - and it really sounds like you know what you need.

My partner used to work in IT for a school. Given that they were on Dept of Ed funding, they got 'just adequate' cameras around the school. Which meant that all they could see on the footage obtained was that the vandals were males, probably mid-teens, and that they had done the damage. Due to the quality of all components, and the fact that the vandalism happened overnight, there was absolutely no way the faces could be identified - so it really didn't help them at all.

Hope you find a system that suits your needs, at a price you're happy with.

Kathy
  13. Daniel Mitchell

Daniel Mitchell Member

<sarcasm>Haven't you all seen CSI? You don't need to worry about the quality of the camera and you can just enhance the image later</sarcasm>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. help4bis.com

LOL, funny as.