1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Login problems? Please update your forum URL bookmarks or saved credentials from HTTP to HTTPS (we have upgraded security)

New TLD (Top Level Domains) released.

Discussion in 'Other discussions' started by help4bis.com, Jul 13, 2014.

1. help4bis.com

help4bis.com Active Member

Not sure where to fit it.

But there are some domain name extensions that some of us might be interested in.

Like:
    .pub for pubs
    .services for those who provide services like http://businesscoach.services etc.
    .vision like http://clear.vision for a glass company.

Anyway go to your domain registrar and click on something like View More for sure they have them listed.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  2. PRO

PRO Active Member

.com and .com.au is so ingrained it is hard to tell how successful they will be.

Saying that I have registered for the next round which includes . lawyers etc.
    1 person likes this.
  3. help4bis.com

Very true Pro, it is more for those who missed out on the names.
    The short TLD's are nice to, now lybia (ly) and the like require you to have a presence in their country before you are allowed to use those .ly domains, the bz, pw etc become more interesting :). 061.bz has a nice ring to it.

It is a commodity for us, not emotional attachment.
  4. PRO

PRO Active Member

We own dozens related to our area. I am a fan of having multiple domains and multiple sites.
    1 person likes this.
  5. help4bis.com

Same here :)
  6. Rball

Rball Member

I'm inclined to believe for now they could work very well for shorter-term marketing campaigns with landing pages.
  7. help4bis.com

Be for longer term mate, currently everybody is still stuck in the .com etc. However more and more will be phrase based. For example we have a lot of interest in the mobilenumber type domains. Like http://0411191192.com, 04111911912.phone etc.

.com is still king, no doubt but it is changing. The other TLD's are still new, but they have their place and be more than just a landing page or short-term campaigns.
    For example tamworthpub.com will be found but tamworth.pub will have a higher ranking when searching for a pub in tamworth...
  8. JohnW

JohnW Renowned Member

Why?

Regs,
    JohnW
  9. PerfectNotes-Kathy

PerfectNotes-Kathy Active Member

Hi all,

Well, TV infomercial programs have been using .tv addresses for ages. I don't see why .pub and similar should be less memorable, or less useful. And it removes the 'should I have a .com or .com.au site' question....

Kathy
  10. help4bis.com

Simply by the word tamworth and the word pub in the domain name John.
    But you know that anyway.

H
  11. JohnW

JohnW Renowned Member

Hi,
    No, I don't know this! I'd be grateful if you can enlighten me.

I've never seen anything from Google that says any one of these alternative domain names would score more "ranking points" than the other:

• tamworthpub.com
    • tamworthpub.com.au
    • tamworth.pub
    In any case, there are perhaps over a thousand parameters that G uses to rank search phrases. Google downgraded the importance of search words in a domain name some time ago. Sure there is some ranking importance associated with search words in a domain name but in the scheme of things it is very minor.
    Regs,
    JohnW
  12. help4bis.com

I think you just enlightened yourself...

The fact that they are minor does not constitute to disregard them.
  13. JohnW

JohnW Renowned Member

Hi,
    I'm still not enlightened...

Let me repeat/clarify the question.

Why would tamworth.pub rank higher than:

• tamworthpub.com
    • tamworthpub.com.au
    PS: I note that the domain "gatepubtamworth" ranks #28 for the search phrase, "tamworth pub".

JohnW
  14. help4bis.com

This can go on for days. He said, She Said.

I believe that when I search for tamworth pub it will rank higher in due cause.
    Using a domain like tamworth.pub is in my view more "catchy" than tamworthpub.com, it is also shorter and as such might be picked up in more "organic traffic" such as "I went to the tamworth pub last night" instead of "I went to the tamworth pub com last night"

Taking all the things in consideration, like social media, age of domain etc etc. I think over time tamworth.pub will rank higher than tamworthpub.com.

They might be minor, but still valid.
    The fact that gatepubtamworth ranks higher on the search of tamworth pub is currently due to the fact that no other of the domains are either aged or used I guess. So not sure if it is a valid comparison.

Obviously you are way more experienced in this than I am, I am just learning by looking at what I perceive as logic.
  15. JohnW

JohnW Renowned Member

Actually, #28 is a very low ranking place for an uncompetitive search phrase like "tamworth pub".

One of the reasons the "gatepubtamworth" domain ranks so low is because the pub is in Staffordshire, UK. Its full domain is gatepubtamworth.co.uk. If you search for "tamworth pub uk", it ranks #1.

I would argue that if you use the ".pub" TLD instead of the country code (".com.au") TLD, you lose a very important geolocation ranking attribute that is far more important for relevant SE referrals.

As you say, there are many factors involved in the ranking algorithm. I just don't see these alternative TLDs offer that much value in targeting relevant SE ranking results.
    Regs,
    JohnW
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014