1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Not getting any bites

Discussion in 'Starting your journey' started by Christina2590, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Christina2590

Christina2590 Member

Hi everyone,

I recently started my little side business, created a website and instagram. My main form of advertising is via my instagram page, however I am not getting any bites and I have not seen any sales as yet.

I am not sure if it is just still to early on or if I am not doing something right eg pricing is too high, website isn't appealing, instagram not being used accurately. Would love to hear everyone's opinions.

My instagram name is @iolanibody
    my website is - www.iolanibody.com

Thanks everyone :)
  2. JamesMillar

JamesMillar Well-Known Member

Hi Christina

Curious. What is the level of competition in the market for this type of thing? I'm no expert on organic beauty products but anecdotally I know there are a lot of options and its a crowded market. Could it be that there is so much "noise" and choice that you are struggling to stand at with a unique point of difference?
  3. Christina2590

Christina2590 Member

Hi James,

There is a lot of competition when it comes to organic beauty supplies however in regards to my product I do not believe there are many options like it, to my knowledge there are maybe about 5 other companies that have a similar product.
  4. talart

talart Member

The key is of course getting traffic to your website. Are you doing any directional advertising, ie google adwords? Or even leaflet drops in the region u live in. I have apps which are promoted online. As well as getting out and walking the streets putting leaflets under car windscreens and lettterboxing. This drives downloads and use every day.
  5. JacquiPryor

JacquiPryor Renowned Member

Hi Christina,

How long has your website been active?

I'd be inclined to focus some attention/budget to your website - such as Google Adwords previously suggested. Not all of us are on Instagram to use it to find a product etc so it may be harder to use that to drive sales to the website?

Research and implement (if not already done) SEO strategy at your website to get the website ranking. At the moment, purely for example, when I search something generic like coconut oil beauty products in Australia I don't find your website. Research the terms consumers are searching online and use that research to your advantage. I'm certainly not an SEO expert by any stretch but this might help. Are you able to track/see whether you're getting visitors to the website? Are customers coming and leaving (in which case it might be a pricing/product issue etc) - or, are you simply not getting visitors?

When I first started my business I found guest blogging and article writing a useful (and, not too financially costly) marketing strategy. This can help drive traffic to you if you can post at some well ranking beauty sites and similar perhaps?

I also ran some Google Adwords campaigns in the early days with reasonably low budget set and found these did help get people to the website and once they were there I was able to convert to sales.

All the best :)
  6. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Have you done a price comparison, I just googled (yeah who trusts google), and found cheaper product
  7. Paul - FS Concierge

Paul - FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

What JacquiPryor said - you can also include being a guest on podcasts, youtube channels and your own "Content Marketing" strategy as well as PR.

Your first step might be to Google success stories around any of the suggested strategies because you have to decide both "what" to do and "how" to do it.
    JacquiPryor likes this.
  8. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Member

If I click on your shop there are TWO products. Would you buy from an empty shop? I would do some markets too to get a feel for your customers. I use organic coconut oil too - I get it from the supermarket in the oil section.....There are so many organic skin care products I guess it is a very tough field. Maybe you add something like non toxic sunscreen (if that exists) ..... Otherwise your website looks great you target young affluent customers - what else would they buy (young affluent customers probably don't put cooking oil on their skin even if it is the same!)
  9. Cody

Cody Active Member

How about some testimonials on the home page? Social proof.
    The Lucky Country likes this.
  10. Grandawood

Grandawood Member

she has not been getting any bites, it is hard to have one Cody.
    bb1 likes this.
  11. Cody

Cody Active Member

So get a family member or friend to write one...
  12. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

13. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

The ACCC considers conduct such as the following to be misleading. You should not:

• encourage family and friends to write reviews about your business without disclosing their personal connection with your business in that review
    • write reviews when you have not experienced the good or service reviewed or which do not reflect a genuinely held opinion
    • solicit others to write reviews about your business or a competitor’s business if they have not experienced the good or service.
  14. Cody

Cody Active Member

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of those guidelines.

Still, I think social proof/testimonials can be very powerful and if Christina really wanted a few, it wouldn't be that hard.

The 2 products are under $15. Perhaps Christina could allocate $50 - $100, send out her product to 3-5 influencers in return for an instagram photo and a testimonial. Just an idea, I'm certainly no marketing genius.

Oh and p.s - Christina, you haven't uploaded a favicon.
  15. heftzwecke

heftzwecke Member

Can you start promoting an empty shop??
  16. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Unfortunately a lot of people don't know about them, but sorry, you shouldn't have to know about them, common ethics should prevent any business from doing it.

I have even rung some business's that have supposedly given testimonials, and they clearly had not. That's why I don't believe, read or consider testimonials.
  17. John Romaine

John Romaine Well-Known Member

The biggest unanswered question here is - how old is your site?

I ran a check and nothing came up which suggests its probably less than a month old.

Is it?
    JacquiPryor likes this.
  18. Christina2590

Christina2590 Member

I only just started it
  19. John Romaine

John Romaine Well-Known Member

Well there's your answer.
  20. Byron Trzeciak

Byron Trzeciak Active Member

I took a quick look at your site and to be honest on quick glance I had no idea what you were trying to sell.

The very first thing I should see in big bold font is
    "100% pure organic & natural coconut oil that keeps your skin and hair healthy"
    • No silicones.
    • No sulfates.
    • No parabens
    • No chemicals.
    • Cruelty & Animal Free
    Then add a call to action "VIEW OUR PRODUCTS" "START SHOPPING" "BUY NOW"

The very first picture should be a very high quality picture of your products. Hero text on the left, products on the right big button to say buy me now!