1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Plenty of Fish

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by bradzo, Jan 3, 2010.

1. bradzo

bradzo Active Member

Apparently, the creator of Plentyoffish.com is earning a hell of a lot of money.

http://www.doshdosh.com/learn-from-adsense-millionaire-markus-frind/

Read this and think about what you can do in 2010.

I am.

So, its a dating site - yes. Everyone wants to meet that someone special - yes.

From my take on it, he's earning a crapload of money giving people what they want.

I thought my target market would be a money spinner, but Markus leaves me in the dust when it comes to making money. And not only him, but others in the URL referenced above.

So its back to the niche, or micro-niche, or micro-micro-niche.

That's where the money is, and I dare say, in a lot of cases, its Gen Y.

Target Gen Y, and I reckon you're on a winner to the moon.

Right, I'm off to speak to my daughter and step-daughter about life, the universe and everything.

What do you think, after reading the article linked to above?
  2. Hugh Thyer

Hugh Thyer Member

I'd target baby boomers personally.

Here's why...
    1. They've got heaps of money, so if you offer something of high value, they're able to pay.
    2. They are older, so time is important to them. If you can help them find someone quickly, they'll pay well. They'll pay you for speed and convenience.
    3. Gen Y just want to go out and meet people in pubs and clubs. Tch! Kids these days...in my days it was different of course...
  3. bradzo

bradzo Active Member

Hi Hugh

Thanks for that, and you're probaby right!

But sorry for not making it clearer originally.

Have a look at plenty of fish - there are lots of ppl there of all different ages.

It's the fact that the site is free, (and you can upgrade of course), but the fact that it is free, and that Markus is earning a lot of money from AdSense in a *niche* that everyone cares about, or has an interest in.

We all want sex, right?

So, what are some sub-niches within that? Yes, you may be right on baby boomers - so that's a sub-niche. Start a free site for baby boomers. Put some Adsense on there. See how it goes.

The whole point I guess (and I've had a few red wines - note to self - only post in the morning!) is to find a micro-niche and hound the hell out of it!

To me, plenty of fish's niche is the "free dating site". I don't know what ppls experience has been with introduction agencies etc, but they have a very very very poor record, so anything "free" on the dating sphere is going to be a winner IMHO.

And he seems to be doing very well - just like rsvp.com.au - didn't they get bought out a few years ago?

Food for thought - build a business, and then sell out.
  4. ray_223

ray_223 Active Member

Hi Bradzo,

I didn't read the article but have read a couple of articles over the years and heard him speak in a podcast (or something similar at some stage).

It's a great story - but I wouldn't want to gamble my future on the .00001% chance of making many millions of dollars!!!

I'd rather try and solve a problem that had a better chance of success but with probable lower pay off.

I liked the talk by David Heinemeir Hansoon about how to solve a problem that maybe a few thousand people have and make a nice little business solving problems for fewer people.
    See:
    http://www.omnisio.com/startupschool08/david-heinemeier-hansson-at-startup-school-08

The dating game is a hughely difficult to break into now ... even when trying to choose some tiny niche.
    Social networking would be hard to break into!
    Search - almost impossible!

I'd find a much smaller niche and solve a bigger "business" related problem.

good luck
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Jake@EmroyPrint

Jake@EmroyPrint Well-Known Member

I am so sick of hearing this.
  6. Hugh Thyer

Hugh Thyer Member

Ahhh you young whipper snappers. In my day it was different of course, community dances and all.

Of course we couldnt stay up all night because we were so tired from walking 5 miles up hill to school, then 10 miles up hill on the way home again in a blizzard.
  7. Jake@EmroyPrint

Jake@EmroyPrint Well-Known Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  8. Adam Randall

Adam Randall Member

I tend to agree here, its like every generation is a different species, a lazy person who was born 80 years ago would be a lazy person today, a driven person who was born 80 years ago would be a driven person today.

I am doing a business leaders program at the moment and there would be 2 or 3 gen x against 20 gen y. They are just as hard working and driven as the next group.

I find it ironic that every generation thinks following generations are fundamentally different. This point alone just goes to show nothing ever changes.
  9. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

Marucs and the young girl mentioned (Myspace layouts) simply found gaps and then filled them. It happens all the time. If you hang around a particular area, group of people, niche, whatever you will over time (hopefully sooner than later) discover something that's not working right or missing. If you can provide the answer for that thing then you'll have a business you can grow and develop.
  10. Jill

Jill Member

aaaah

so many fish

too many blowies
  11. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

We all want sex, right?

Now this is a very difficult question to answer. Immediate answer would have been yeah, but come to think about what one looks for if that all there is then the relationship become very hollow and short lived.

Friendship, is much longer lasting, and when yopu get to my age thats all there is and memories..............Hahahahaha
  12. soliddata

soliddata Member

A bit too deep for me Burgo :)

I am happy to have both sex and friendship...

Kev
  13. FletcherTax

FletcherTax Member

Patrick you are a hoot!

... Love it!

Janna