1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

‘Community Reviews’: How things work around here.
    We invite you to canvas the views of the community on your OWN website, business idea, strategy or concept. If the community likes what you’re doing they’ll tell you. The opposite is also true, so be brave!

The more effort you put into your post, the more meaningful the feedback will be. For this reason, please ‘copy and paste’ the following questions into your post, along with your responses:
    1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

Note to reviewers: Always remember the Golden Rule of these forums: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it, and when being critical, be polite. Constructive criticism is welcomed. Destructive criticism, rudeness and anything outside the community guidelines will be removed with offenders risking a ban.

Review of Social Coupon Tool

Discussion in 'Community reviews' started by Social Shout!, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Hi guys!

I was SURE I'd posted in this forum before but I can't find it. Maybe I didn't submit? Ooops.

Anywhoo...

We're building a Social Commerce Platform. To get an idea of the big picture long term vision, take a look at this short video - http://bit.ly/zJatQk

We've just launched our Social Coupon Tool in beta & already received some feedback from some here at FlyingSolo that the Landing page & Registration Page for the merchant sign up for this FREE tool is a bit confusing.

It seems we haven't managed to explain exactly what the SocialShout! Coupon Tool is and how it works.

So, if we were to say...

SocialShout! enables you to reward your customers for generating word of mouth for your business across their social networks.

Does that give you enough of an idea, as a merchant, to decide if it's something you want to learn more about?

I guess I'm looking for that first sentence or two that explains it enough to say, 'yep. get it. sounds good. let's give it a try' OR 'yep. get it. don't like it. not for me'.

Either response is ok. As long as we don't get 'Huh??'

I've attached an image here of the latest Landing page design. There are a few more steps to add. We want to show step by step in enough detail so even the most novice eComm site will get it. [​IMG]

Next question is, 'What about the Registration Page?' Is that easy enough to understand? Here's the link - http://beta.socialshout.com/merchants/register

Finally, what about the Social Coupon Tool itself?

The idea is once you register as a merchant, we send you a couple of lines of code to insert into your site. This will generate a button that launches the coupon widget.

You can test it out by going to our TEST store - http://socialshoutsandbox.mybigcommerce.com/ , add a product to cart, then view cart & you'll see the button over on the right, under the Coupon Code field. Click it, sign in and you'll be able to step through the process as a shopper would. Once you've Shouted, Copy to Clipboard & then paste in the coupon field and you'll see the discount applied. Then go to your FB wall,Twitter stream & see what gets posted.

As a shopper, does that process make sense.

OK, that's a lot to digest for now.

We really would love ANY feedback - but especially the kind that says 'That doesn't work because..' or 'I HATE it because...', you get the idea.

Thanks for your time and look forward to your comments.

Cheers!

Trent!
  2. OneArmedGraphics

OneArmedGraphics Active Member

I think your description is spot-on, perfect.
    Registration page makes sense.

Test-site. Too many steps. I'm on willing to do the shout, connect to the relevant social-media site & tweet/post.
    I then expect the discount code to calculate & apply automatically. I'm lazy, but that's my honest reaction.

For the record, I'd never use this. I don't 'like' sites on FB, or tweet about such stuff. So not exactly your target market ;)
  3. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Hey!

Thanks for the feedback - especially if you don't even believe in the concept! Really appreciate the effort.

Totally get your point about the discount going straight in. We are in the process of building an integration to BigCommerce. With that, merchants with a BigComm site will have the functionality you're talking about. The plan is to do the same with other cart programs.

It just gets a bit tricky when you're creating a general tool that can be used as broadly as possible - which is basically what this FREE version is designed to be.

If I can get a bit personal, I'm guessing you do have a Facebook account?

If so, if you bought a new TV or a new iPad or something would you post a message about that on Facebook? I mean is that the sort of news you would share with your Facebook friends?

I'm not saying 'Like' the iPad site or fan page or anything. Just would you maybe snap a photo of your new iPad, upload it on Facebook & tell your friends?

Or are you more likely to share holiday snaps, that sort of thing?

Or, do you not share much at all?

Just curious about the motivations of our 'anti-market'.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Cheers!

Trent!
  4. OneArmedGraphics

Sure, no trouble.

I'm a holiday snaps only type of FB person. (I'm 39)
    On FB since 2009 but never used the like button other than on friends Posts.

I have two FB pages for business related stuff but to my detriment I also don't do the like-stuff on them.
  5. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Thanks again Robbie.

Now, maybe a cheeky one...

I just noticed that in your Zazzle store, you have the Facebook & Twitter buttons.

Is that because it's just a standard default when you set up your store or do you as a merchant (maybe reluctantly) accept that it makes sense to give your customers the option, even if you as a shopper wouldn't do it yourself?

Cheers!

Trent!
  6. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Active Member

FS Concierge likes this.
  7. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

8. OneArmedGraphics

You mean once fully on the Zazzle platform?
  9. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Not sure I get the question? Sorry?
  10. OneArmedGraphics

No worries, probably a bit vague as I'm on some pain meds, heh.
    Wasn't too sure where you were when seeing the Zazzle twitter buttons, if you had clicked through into Zazzle then yeah, they are there just as a default.
  11. daydreamer

daydreamer Member

Hi Trent,

Still trying to fully understand your tool. One question:

At the checkout page, you expect the user to click SocialShout button and then log in and do other stuff?

I am more interested in them completing the sale, and don't really want them distracted at that stage.

Am I understanding correctly?

Or do they do the SocialShout thing after the sale is completed? If so, then that is cool.
  12. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Sorry. Lost my connection.

Sorry to hear about the pain!

What I did was went to your site, to the Shop & when I chose a product was taken to zazzle. That's where I found the buttons. Figured it might be a default.

So, hypothetically, if you were to set up your own cart to sell products, would you include these types of buttons - nothwithstanding the fact that you wouldn't use them as a shopper?

Would also love you take, as a design guy, on the look & feel of our site.

T!
  13. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Hi there!

Thanks for taking a look.

Yes the idea with this button would be that the user clicks, etc at the checkout phase to get their coupon. That coupon then gives them a discount.

Fully appreciate your concern about distracting them at the most critical stage. Another way to look at it is that giving the chance to get a discount coupon will actually increase the chances of them completing the sale, vs pay now & get no discount.

We are also creating some 'banner buttons' that will basically act as a normal ad but encouraging shoppers to click now and earn their coupon. Again, the thought being that this should encourage shoppers to stay on you site & buy because here they can get a discount.

Cheers!

Trent!
  14. daydreamer

daydreamer Member

Thanks Trent.

We are actually looking to implement ReferralCandy which looks similar, but:

• seems easier to understand
    • starts after the sale (no distractions on the checkout page)
    • customers get $ rather than messing around with a points system
    • rewards/discounts are paid on actual sales, not just a mention via FB/Twitter/4square (better for merchants)
    • already a plugin with BigCommerce

Have you looked at this? What do you think are SocialShout's advantages v's Referral Candy, which seems to make more sense to me.
  15. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Thanks again.
    I guess the big difference between us is that our Social Coupon Tool is just one part of what we're doing.

Our vision is to create a Social Commerce Marketplace. You will be able to publish your deals/offers on our site as well as yours. This gives you another distribution channel. When a user clicks on your offers/products in our store, we send them to your site so you can own the sale.

We're also creating a Leaderboard for your biz too. The idea is your customers (& others interested in what you sell) can join your leaderboard and vie for top spot, based on their SocialShout! Points. Remember, the more points, the more active & connected they are. You can even reach out to key users directly via their Private Mail Box with special offers/deals.

In short, our site will give you a 'neutral' platform to have deeper engagement with your customers and lots of potential customers. A SocialShout! user is a qualified online shopper.

I've attached a screenshot of our site (not live yet) to give you an idea...

https://koombea.basecamphq.com/projects/7852250/file/116188678/DASHBOARD V2 EMPTY - SUGGESTED.jpg

To answer your specific questions...

* seems easier to understand
    - I guess ours is a little more involved, but we're working hard on simplifying the explanation. We'll do a short video too which should make it a bit clearer. 'Shout & Save' is the message for shoppers. 'Word of Mouth for a discount' is the message for merchants.

* starts after the sale (no distractions on the checkout page)
    - as mentioned earlier, we see that we're actually incentivising the checkout, not distracting from it

* customers get $ rather than messing around with a points system
    - same with SocialShout! We issue a coupon code. You decide what the code represents - 15% disc, free shipping, Bonus loyalty points, up to you.
    - the idea of giving them points based on how many Friends on Facebook, Tweets on Twitter, etc is that this number shows you how loud they can Shout! (ie: how many others will see it!)
    - you can then also set different coupons depending on how many points they have. You can give a customer with 1,000 points 10% disc & one with 10,000 pts might get 10% plus free shipping. Why? Because that person's Shout! is worth more to you.
    - also, the points system adds an element of gamification to it which can be quite engaging - especially once we get our site live with the Leaderboards.

* rewarded are paid on actual sales, not just a mention via FB/Twitter/4square (better for merchants)
    - can't really counter this point. It's true with SocialShout! you're rewarding your customers for the word of mouth. The concept here was to try to mirror how 'real life' word of mouth works. You get a great deal at a shop or great customer service & you'll tell your friends. With the referral concept, you'll only tell someone because if they mention your name, you'll get a discount next time you guy back in. Just doesn't seem quite as sincere.
    - without being cheesy, we believe that for any social network strategy to be sustainable long term, it has to be genuine & sincere - just like in real life

* already a plugin with BigCommerce
    - we're building one too! We've signed the agreement already. Just working with their developers to get some answers on the API, etc. Hope to be in the app store within 1-2 months.

PS: Have you looked at Curebit? It's similar to ReferralCandy, but I think their pricing structure is a bit better for merchants. http://www.curebit.com/

Cheers!
    Trent!
  16. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

It was me, and I saw it, but then it vanished...
  17. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Cheers!

Thanks for saying that. I thought I was going mad. No idea where it went. Anyway..it's BACK - with an add on!?!?

T!
  18. daydreamer

daydreamer Member

Thanks Trent, for your detailed answer. I think your openness is great and, when your tool is ready, I might give it a go.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. Social Shout!

Social Shout! Member

Thanks! Will certainly post here when we're ready to go live. Should be just another week or two for the Social Coupon Tool then another couple of weeks for the rest ofnthe site.

I would hope we'll be in the BigComm App store by end of May.

Cheers!

Trent!
  20. NathanB

NathanB Well-Known Member

I really like your concept and website. The only thing I could possibly criticise is your under use of Flash. Flash is a powerful and versatile tool and could add soo much value to your existing product.

Also, if you happen to need any additional help with your website. I currently boast expert level skill in Microsoft FrontPage and have over 250 megabytes of clip-art I would gladly share with you royalty free.

Very interested to see how your launch goes and have liked you on Facebook! All the best.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012