1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Small Business Marketing Ideas

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by divapromotions, Jan 19, 2009.

1. divapromotions

divapromotions New Member

What's your best marketing tactic, and why did it work for you?

Mine has been strategic alliances. It has worked best for me because what I offer is a bit different, and the clients I work with would rather get a recommendation than anything else.

What about you?
  2. mike@engagemarketing

mike@engagemarketing Member

As I market to other businesses, by far the most successful marketing tactic for me would be networking - whether it be at chamber of commerce meetings, internet forums such as this or by attending events and seminars where other business owners are present - it gives a chance to make a fantastic impression (especially in face-to-face networking).

Every business is different though - i have clients for which creating a word of mouth plan has been by far the most successful and others in which being found in google has lifted them to where they want to be.
  3. MissieK

MissieK Member

Networking, both online & offline, has worked best for me :)

Melissa
  4. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

Definately word of mouth, and from others in the industry (networking).
    1 person likes this.
  5. LeelaCosgrove

LeelaCosgrove Member

It's hard to say, because all of my marketing tactics are a pipeline feeding into my sales strategy ... so some things have been good but they've all worked together to feed into success ... so I don't like to say one has been more successful than the others, because it's a compound effect.

A list of stuff I do includes:

* cold calling
    * warm calling
    * events - my own and other people's
    * networking
    * products - free and paid
    * direct mail

I did an interesting campaign a couple of years ago where I sent gift boxes to 10 of the people on the BRW Young Rich list that I was interested in working with ... It was an expensive exercise, but I got one big job out of it, so worth it!
  6. Tina

Tina New Member

So far (and I'm only a short way in) completely word of mouth. Happy people talk too!
  7. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

Networking, far and away the most valuable.

I found that taking that little bit of time to offer something of value to a colleague, or even competitor, won over some folks in the long run and my business has never been happier because of it.

Good luck.
  8. Lisa Murray - Biz Coach

Lisa Murray - Biz Coach Member

Networking - online and off - has been extremely valuable for me - both for finding clients and for meeting people who can offer strategic marketing alliances (eg writing for other people's blogs, speaking at other people's events)

I find its important to be proactive though - I'm systemising my networking followup at the moment and already seeing outstanding results.

cheers
    Lisa
  9. rrjnsy89

rrjnsy89 New Member

That has definitely worked for me also, but I think it all depends on the type of business you run, some have a better shot at doing internet marketing and no gain from word of mouth.
  10. mike@engagemarketing

mike@engagemarketing Member

11. Ky Lacoste

Ky Lacoste New Member

When looking at an overall media diet, I try to have a good chunk of advertising within digital. Its very cheap, transparent and quick to implement. It is also good to purchase quality lists for direct marketing/edm. Recently, I purchased a government marketing list which gave me both email and physical address. Great for reaching out to the same person from 2 different avenues.

Cheers
    Ky
  12. Tristan Boyd

Tristan Boyd Member

This is a great question. Word of mouth and networking seem to be the most popular in this thread, and certainly good for us too. However the best, and most consistent source of new leads for us is signage. Old fashioned but still very effective.
  13. Jessica-Frank Team

Jessica-Frank Team New Member

There have been a few for me that stand out:

- Website....soo important..........and ultilising online marketing (we actually have a seminar coming up to help people with the basics of this!)

- Word of mouth: make sure you look after every customer to your highest standard as they will then do the marketing for you!

- Speaking for free at events

- Ongoing & consistent "conversations" with our contacts (ie: emails, phone calls, articles etc to our contacts every month to remind them we are here!). This is what I call LIFECYCLE MARKETING
  14. marvelit

marvelit Member

I have a van completley wrapped with signage, it has been almost useless for me lol.

(I.T solutions provider)

Google Organic searches and adwords get me a few calls a week which is nice.

Refferals from clients are quite frequent but not weekly usually.

I would have to say building my client base from when I used to advertise in the paper. I advertised for 10 months (almost 1k a month spent) then I haven't advertised since mid december last year. (besides google organic searches and adwrods).

I find it very easy to keep a client, than to get new ones.
  15. Gregory

Gregory New Member

So far it has been word of mouth in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Eastern Suburbs i am trying shopping centre stall, giving out freebies and flyers to promote my product. Radio TV , newspaper etc is far to expensive!
  16. sugarbeeflowers

sugarbeeflowers New Member

I'm still very very new, but I'd have to say word of mouth too.

I try to get my business out there by going to say hi to local businesses, and giving them little arrangements for their reception table with my sticker on it, but that's a really expensive way of advertising too.
    But it makes them happy, so I'm happy to do it too.
  17. 2162#deleted

2162#deleted Banned

My website design business relies on organic search engine searches and word of mouth. I'm currently researching other marketing ideas thus why I joined this forum.
  18. Gregory

Gregory New Member

I have been value adding to my products as well, ie buy one, get a country book free and also made up some A4 laminated calendars and bookmarks which are free with the book. The shopping centre stall has free "Showbags" ruler, pen, pencil set, calendar and bookmark, all with my logo prominently displayed. Still much cheaper than promoting any other way.
  19. bedifferent@live.com.au

bedifferent@live.com.au New Member

I prefer working with marketing agencies. Since I am based in Sydney, my team and I decided to work with WAAM - We're all About Marketing. They are experts in their field and they provide me with everything that is related to marketing and communication. And in fact it is really cost-effective and they really helped me to optimise my business. So, I advise people to have a look at www.waam.com.au
  20. SheInspires

SheInspires Active Member

It's really interesting to see what's working best for others. Thanks for the great topic idea.

For my online businesses I work on my internet marketing tactics such as:
    * my own email newsletters - crucial for relationships and sales
    * Email newsletter ads - graphics and text with 2 links at least
    * website ads - again, graphic and text links
    * article marketing
    * online competitions - great for building relationships
    * directory listings
    * social media
    * networking - more for sharing knowledge and skills
    * blogs - both my own and comments in others

There are some to get going - all tend to work in together and I give attention at different times to different ones.

I also sell my jewellery directly at jewellery parties at home or work and at market like The Rocks markets. There I have a business card size note that goes in all jewellery gift bags as well as a flyer.

I sell my jewellery online but the earring holder range is very popular online.

It was from doing my internet marketing for my jewellery business that I decided I should also be publishing an online women's magazine that has advertising that understands the needs of other small business people.

I hope this is useful for ideas.

All the best,
    Belinda