1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Starting an import business

Discussion in 'New member? Introduce yourself.' started by tunjibusayo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. tunjibusayo

tunjibusayo New Member

Hi everyone,

I am just planning to start importing footwear into Australia.

I am planning to engage overseas manufacturers (Hong Kong or China) to produce my products in my own label.

I will then major on wholesales here in Australia and as time goes on overseas.

Footwear has been my passion for ages but i just realised it is good for a starter like me to have a mentor, plase how do i go about this?

Thanks to you all in anticipation of your responses.
  2. petercrocker

petercrocker Administrator

3. kobo

kobo New Member

I don't know how to answer that question, but I do know there are not enough shoe sizes ranging up to size 14. Please help make Australia an easier place to get non-ridiculous shoes for tall guys :)

They seem to make large shoes fluro now days so they look even bigger and flatter than before.

What kind of footware are you importing?
  4. tunjibusayo

tunjibusayo New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion, I will put that in mind. I intend importing casual footwear though.
  5. BrightBiz

BrightBiz Member

Well I don't have much of an idea on importing, but welcome to FS, take a look around the main site as Peter said, there's LOADS of info floating around there.

Good Luck :)
  6. tunjibusayo

tunjibusayo New Member

7. tunjibusayo

tunjibusayo New Member

Hi BrightBiz,

You are absolutely right. I was able to get more than enough info on the main site. I am happy to be associated with FS. You guys are just wonderful.

Cheers.
  8. Heidi Price

Heidi Price Member

I agree - it's very hard to find anything worth wearing for guys who need shoes above size 11 :(

Heidi
  9. samwoo1985

samwoo1985 New Member

I work for a foreign trade factory located in China, we don`t sell shoes, but other factories nearby produce, ..
    first, you should tell your supplies what kind of footwear you want, the size, the material, etc, send a sample will be better...then they produce according to requirement, .. you can contact me samwoo1985@aol.com, for further information.
  10. aande61

aande61 New Member

Not wishing to put a dampener on your project it sounds very simplistic and will not be as easy as you think it might. We have had experience importing from various countries including China ( and depending on whether wou import FCL or LCL and what your product is made of import costs will vary - but around 50% of the product cost is a fair asssessment as a general rule of thumb is our experience ). Biggest problem I see you facing is selling the product. Most major outlets have their own sources of shoes ( probably made in China) which they will buy in much bigger quantities than you can and thus much cheaper. If you produce a new design or concept and they really like it they will steal it and get it produced cheaper than you can. This has happened to us in the past ( not with shoes). Why should they use you as a middle man when they can go straight to the producer ( which they already have contacts with). If you do want to go ahead I would strongly suggest you dont it the major distributors to start. Might sound the easy way to go but trust me if you have a product worth stealing they will steal it.

11. malcolm12

malcolm12 New Member

Really that's a good idea. You would have some trustworthy people to look after your business overseas. Regular supervision is required. Hope you would get good business in overseas and home as well. Good luck.
  12. tunjibusayo

tunjibusayo New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your comprehensive insight into the business of importing. I really appreciate it. I will surely bear all these in mind for my own good.

Cheers.
  13. markyanma

markyanma New Member

I think you should have a marketing research.
    And then you should decide your marketing target. Getting which demand you want to meet with. that is to say who is your final customers.
    Third, I think you can check your suppliers now. I am Chinese, I think if you want to buy from China, then you should come here to check it by yourself. Especially to wenzhou City.

( E.O.E)