1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

The most polite cease-and-desist letter ever..

Discussion in 'Get productive' started by JaneB, Jul 25, 2012.

1. JaneB

JaneB Active Member

2. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

That certainly was a very smart way of handling it.

Steve
  3. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a good way to handle it but I wonder how many copycats it might spawn in the hope of getting similar results? That author will certainly be happy about the extra sales as a result.
    1 person likes this.
  4. My Wedding Concierge

My Wedding Concierge Active Member

Re: The most polite cease-and-desist letter ever...

That is fantastic. Everyone wins there, and it's a great example of corporate jujitsu that turns something negative into a positive. In this case a very big positive given the extra publicity it's received.
  5. JacquiPryor

JacquiPryor Well-Known Member

Easy to see how they become such a long-standing brand if they are handling things this way.

Believe it or not, 'polite' letters like this aren't actually all that uncommon in the IP space. This may take it up an extra notch by even offering to cover costs to reprint sooner than later, but, I know a few large companies that handle these things in a similar way, playing the 'we're flattered card'...
    3 people like this.
  6. TheGoldenGoose

TheGoldenGoose Well-Known Member

That is really cool.

Not that I have come across many Cease & Desist letters in my time ;)

I think it rocked! Have bookmarked for future reference. Love how they challenged them on the level of being a JD lover rather than someone who has ripped off their imagery.

Well done!
  7. kathiemt

kathiemt Well-Known Member

I've had one cease-and-desist letter a few years ago. It was really quite rude and I'd had no former contact from the company before the letter from their lawyers arrived. It had to do with a keyword I was using in my Google Adwords. They had it trademarked. I'd selected keywords that Google had suggested to me would be good for my adwords. I naively accepted them all not realising one was actually a trademarked name relating to my industry. I took the name off the keyword list (it was showing up if keyword searches were done on Google) but the company could have contacted me direct asking me to take it down. I would have done it happily.
  8. bluepenguin

bluepenguin Well-Known Member

From this day forth, everything I design will mimic the Jack Daniels brand. Think of all the money they're gonna pay me to redesign everything. ;)
    3 people like this.
  9. DavidThomas

DavidThomas Active Member

Ha, that was excellent
  10. Cjay

Cjay Active Member

And now I have another reason to enjoy their fine product!
  11. HBTRADE

HBTRADE Member

Man, that's great. I've enjoyed a sip or two (or many more) of pretty much everything from their stable. They are worth supporting if this is their standard behaviour.

Now, how do we get the likes of Apple, Microsoft & Google copy this...
    How silly of me.... they *wouldn't dream* of copying anything... ;-)
  12. jeanmaddocks

jeanmaddocks Guest

That's a nice way to deal with the "mimicry". Very smart of them. You must always practice decency on every situation :)
  13. Snakeman

Snakeman Active Member

Having read the letter from the alcohol merchant, what is not entirely clear is that the registered trademark applies for publishing of books!
    My guess is that it doesn't and the Jack Daniels company has used the whole thing as a good bit of clever marketing.
    Kudos for the latter anyway!
    All the best
    1 person likes this.
  14. Gordan

Gordan Member

This is the way that most problems should be sorted out, not lawsuits, puffing chests and $$ thrown around.
  15. Snakeman

Snakeman Active Member

Gordon, what you say is correct to any reasonable person.
    However in our world of business there are many ruthless and unreasonable people who have no morals or scruples and will break the law until they are forcibly stopped.
    Hence the lawsuits.
    I for one am unaware of a trademark owner launching a legal action before sending a load of cease and desist letters.
    All the best
  16. Emity Lane

Emity Lane Member

That is brillant! Love it! I myself have always believed that imitation is the highest form of flattery after all ;)
    1 person likes this.
  17. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

Part of my job with WoolSafe is cease and desist to peole using our trade mark.
    Ive been hesitant to do this because being an old bloke we come across sometimes as being very grumpy. This letter is a Gem. It has everything that makes it an honour to cease. So I shall be taking their advice and in future make my letters "COOL".
    JD's advertising has always been the soft sell, which I have admired, so Im not surprised with the way this letter has been worded, soft and smooth, just like JD's product. Just seems to fit in the picture dont it.
    Unfortunately I dont drink JD's but many of my friends do.
    1 person likes this.