1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

Toilet regulations for cafe

Discussion in 'Starting your journey' started by angusjack, Jan 22, 2014.

1. angusjack

angusjack New Member

Hi,
    I am looking at setting up a cafe in The City of Sydney Council and was just wanting to get some advice about council regulations before I apply for a lease. Me and my business partner have been out to a site that we'd quite like to lease a couple of times. Our biggest concern was with the toilet facilities in the building. There is a small toilet in the rear courtyard and that is all. Our understanding is that if we go above 20 patrons then we have to provide more toilets that have disabled access. Is this true?? Are there any ways around this?

We have the old DA for the shop which used to be a pizza shop. We were hoping that if we continued with this DA then we wouldn't need to change much.

Any help with this and other regulations we might be missing would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Angus
  2. Mauro

Mauro New Member

Angus, did you ever find out what the deal was with disabled toilets above 20 patrons ?
  3. [Former] FS Concierge

[Former] FS Concierge Renowned Member

Hi Mauro, and welcome,

I'm not sure Angus is around any more, but we'll put a shout out on social media and see what we can find out for you.

In the meantime, are there any more details about your situation that you'd like to share to help people give you the most relevant info they can?

All the best,
    Jayne
  4. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

Ring your local council, they are a friendly bunch and more than happy to help out
  5. alliedib

alliedib Active Member

+1 for this.

So many people use other peoples experience as 'the rule', rather than just going straight to the area which can give you the information (and will usually be a lot more accurate than experiences). And because all councils are different, what works for one is not going to necessarily work for another.

Ring them or drop in - they will point you in the right direction.

Regards.

Mark
  6. Johny

Johny Well-Known Member

The very first job I ever had showed the rule on a sign in the men's toilet stating

"We aim to please, will you aim too, please"

Hope that helps.

Then again, maybe that was more of a request than a rule.