1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

Virtual terminal for one day only

Discussion in 'Money matters' started by Tall Trees Eco Store, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Tall Trees Eco Store

Tall Trees Eco Store Member

Ok I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything specific but please let me know if there is a thread relating to my enquiry.

I will be setting up a pop up stall at a local street festival for my online store. Whilst cash only will do, I really want to provide my customers with the option of credit card payment.

Now I know there are many virtual terminal products out there offering no contacts and per transaction only fees however I want to 'cut through the {insert word here}' and see if anyone has had any experience with a ONE DAY ONLY virtual terminal solution. Who have you used? How did work? Obviously I'm not after an eftpos terminal as such. More smartphone focused or laptop (I can have it set up there with me). I was looking at 'Paypal - Here' but it hasn't been released yet. I don't really want to pay $XX per month to have a virtual service (ie. Paypal Payment Pro etc).

So is there really anything out there that I can utilise for just one day?
  2. Gavin_S

Gavin_S Member

Hi Jodie,
    I saw a portable terminal in Office Works the other day, I believe the brand was "Mint" and it was marked down to $50. I haven't used it before so couldn't tell you how it works.
    I know there are also some iPhone and iPad apps that work as payment gateways.
    One other suggestion would be to take your laptop with you. I see your website accepts PayPal, so if you don't find other suitable options then maybe people could purchase through your website while on location. It's a bit clunky but it might serve as a "Plan B"
    Good luck!

Gavin
    Couple It and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Fat Zebra

Fat Zebra Member

Hi Jodie,

If you are using a Gateway for your store, you might be able to use their Virtual terminal. Most Australian Gateways offer this as part of the package.

Cheers,
    Couple It likes this.
  4. Tall Trees Eco Store

Thanks Gavin! I had a look and the MiniMint would be perfect except you have to pay an annual or a per month fee. And I don't think it's compatible with iPhones.

I'm thinking the Plan B solution may be the only way to go!
  5. Tall Trees Eco Store

I'm actually not using a gateway yet and won't until my sales increase. So Paypal for now.

But thank you for your reply!
  6. niknjay

niknjay Member

Maybe look into such things as Kaching from the commonwealth bank, or face book credits however you would still need to look at the pro's and cons of each .....

such as "how secure are they?" , "what do they cost?",
  7. Couple It

Couple It Well-Known Member

Thanks to your post Gavin, I went looking in Officeworks today. Originally selling for $399 four years ago, the young guy who served me said I was the first customer to ever ask for one lol. Explains why the price had dropped to $20 !! Yet another example of the market setting the value.

Wendy :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. Tall Trees Eco Store

I think Kaching may be the quickest and easiest option. It has the mobile number/face book option. Even an option for 'bumping' the phones together to transfer money. Both people need to have accounts with CBA though.

At least some options are better than none! :)
  9. Tall Trees Eco Store

FYI

I just saw this -

CBA - Pi

Doesn't help me at the moment :) but it's still exciting where we are heading!
  10. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

Had I seen this thread a week ago I would have had a very cheap answer for you. As it is the cost is $19.95 for the unit.

Paymate have a little unit available for a small percentage plus a few cents per transaction. The actual unit normally cost $19.95 but I managed to sneak in under the radar which closed on the 17th July and got it for free. It only arrived today so I have no idea if it works but it hasn't cost me anything. I think it's similar to the Paypal one. Make sure to check if you have a compatible handset or else it's useless.
  11. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

That's really groovy isn't it Jodie? Thanks for sharing the info :)
    Jayne
  12. Tall Trees Eco Store

Thanks, Suz! I had a look and it may be the solution to my problem. The more I think about it, the more I realise that I'm going to lose a lot of sales if my stall is cash only. It's a shame I missed out on the free offer however I think the $19.95 up front fee is a small price to pay for versatility!
    1 person likes this.
  13. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

No problem, Jodie, glad to help. It's a tiny machine and easily lost in a cup of coffee, thank goodness they put it on a lanyard.

I've only just received it so I'm still to test it out and my phone isn't actually compatible but I'm up for a new contract in October and I'm anxious to move companies so I'll be upgrading my phone to a compatible one at the same time.

I figured the same about my stalls. I'm going back to market stalls with my sister, she'll sell Ginger Ale (the BEST) and I'll sell books.
  14. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Suz,

We'll be interested to hear how it works for you, so please pop back and let us know when you've had a chance to check it out.

Good luck with it,
    Jayne
  15. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

I will. We're doing a stall on 4th August and hopefully people will be wanting to throw pots of money at me. I can dream.
    1 person likes this.
  16. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

I shouldn't have dreamt, I only sold a few books and if I'd been by myself it wouldn't have been worth it. Thank goodness I was sharing with my sister and she did well.

We didn't need to use the machine as everyone was happy with cash. Sorry, you'll have to wait for an update.
  17. Tall Trees Eco Store

I decided to go ahead and sign up for the PaymateOnTheGo. Thanks for the tip, Suz! It looks to be the best solution. Hopefully I receive the swiper by the 26/8 for my pop-up stall!

I'm planning on attaching the swiper to my iPad and not my smartphone. Only because of buyer confidence and professionalism. I'm not sure if I'd be happy to swipe my credit card into someones phone; secure or not! I'll post an update on how it all goes.
  18. SuzsSpace

SuzsSpace Active Member

Excellent! I know what you're saying about the smartphone and ipad but a smartphone is easier to put in your pocket and not have people walk away with.

I've been recommending it for a non-profit organisation I'm with and they had two questions, I've only been able to answer one. The questions were:

Does the phone/tablet store information?
    Is there a potential problem with viruses on the phone/tablet?

I've checked on my ipad and it doesn't store data so that's good.

I do have a slight concern in that you can't seem to itemise the sales docket, if you put in $20 you've got no idea what that is made up of. It looks as if the Paypal one can be itemised.

Good luck with it. Hope it works well for you.
  19. clevermummy

clevermummy New Member

WOW this does look really interesting.....I'd be really keen to hear feedback also!
    cheers,
    Sarah
  20. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Suz's Space - I see that your date has passed and that you mentioned cash worked for you on the day.

Just wanted to share that I have just received the new little gadget card scanner from PayPal that plugs into my iPhone. It's fabulous and works so easily - you can take payments with credit cards or debit cards. So easy to use. They have a special on that if you apply before 1st September the gadget is free. Cheers.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader