1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

‘Community Reviews’: How things work around here.
    We invite you to canvas the views of the community on your OWN website, business idea, strategy or concept. If the community likes what you’re doing they’ll tell you. The opposite is also true, so be brave!

The more effort you put into your post, the more meaningful the feedback will be. For this reason, please ‘copy and paste’ the following questions into your post, along with your responses:
    1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

Note to reviewers: Always remember the Golden Rule of these forums: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it, and when being critical, be polite. Constructive criticism is welcomed. Destructive criticism, rudeness and anything outside the community guidelines will be removed with offenders risking a ban.

Website and Marketing Review Please

Discussion in 'Community reviews' started by gen Y advantage, Jun 20, 2012.

1. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

Hi there Flying Soloists,

I have launched a website - following some good ol' sales tactics from online marketers - however I'm not sure if it's too 'salesy'?

I launched it quickly to get my ebook online, however do you think that the sales page should not be the front page? Or any other feedback?

My page get's about 10% return rate in sales - as I haven't done something like this before, is that good or bad?

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Linda Le
    www.genYadvantage.com.au
  2. OneArmedGraphics

OneArmedGraphics Active Member

Hi Linda, I don't like any landing pages so I'm not exactly your target market, but saying that you could still improve the current design which is somewhat bland.

Header 'logo' lacks any image, color or graphic. It shouldn't be just text in a box. (Unless it's gorgeous text ;)

Font and Page BG - Not enough contrast to make reading the thin font comfortable

I'm sure you've seen Landing pages everywhere so I'd borrow elements from others. (for inspiration.)
  3. vilson

vilson Active Member

I am Also Agree that it is not Eye Catching website..

Please Improve Design and Content as well.
  4. spinninghill

spinninghill Active Member

Hi Linda. A couple of random thoughts:

Tell people less about what your eBook does and is, and tell them a bit more about why they need your book. Hope this makes sense

Spend less of the page telling people why they need the book (And what the book is about), and spend more of page on some freebi tips and ideas. - IE snippets from the book. This will engage them and be more likely to convert them to a customer, or at least a potential customer.

Get cracking on the blog.

Good luck

Michael
  5. EmbalmSkincare

EmbalmSkincare Active Member

I also agree with the above.

From a shopper perspective: If I ever open up a website that looks like yours (purpose on plain selling) then I close the website straight away and don't even bother looking further.

Sorry for saying this but your website looks very bland and salesy.

Also, I don't like too much text and scrolling down on one page. It's like "good lord, that's a lot to read" and I lose interest.

Keep it short and sweet, maybe on a few different pages. 1 "homepage", 1 "About", 1 "Product" and mabye a "Contact" page.

You could also create another page - either blog or twitter feeds - with practical tips to create an audience.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Mel
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

Thank you SO much for taking the time and providing me with valuable feedback. I'll certainly make the changes to the site (kinda wished I found this forum much sooner).

Very much appreciated!!

Linda
    1 person likes this.
  7. DavidM

DavidM Active Member

Good feedback so far.

1. Your site has poor branding and therefore has trust issues. It needs to be more 'designed'

2. Your heading highlights a product - rather than a solution to a problem / benefit

3. You're using the old Visa logo. Whenever I see the old Visa logo that business loses credibility in my eyes because they haven't got attention to detail

David
  8. IncredibleCo

IncredibleCo Active Member

You're received a lot of honest, but harsh criticism here. Good on you for taking it on the chin like a professional and moving forward.

Best of luck with your business.
  9. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

Thank you :)

I don't think anyone can advance in life or business if they can't accept, appreciate or take on constructive feedback. Everyone has been amazing in giving me such valuable advice that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to gain elsewhere.

This forum rocks!
  10. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

WOW - that took me some time. I have taken aboard all your feedback and change as much as I can. As I'm not a prof. web designer - visually, that's the 'best' I could create.

Also the visa logo.. (I'm not sure how to fix this either)

Otherwise, in terms of 'salesy', 'unattractive', 'poor branding', trust issues... as mentioned in the feedback.. is it better now? www.genYadvantage.com.au

Thank you for your kind assistance.
  11. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

OH YES, the blog is definitely coming - I'll get onto it over the weekend. :)
  12. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

I can honestly say I really like it.
    I also like the gen y theme - clever.
  13. DavidM

DavidM Active Member

Hi Linda,

Yes, congrats for taking things on the chin and being willing to make changes. I think your key sentence is here:

Recognise, that by doing your website yourself, you are getting it done cheaper (and learning in the process), but the downside is that your brand and product isn't being shown in its best light, which will reduce your sales. Think of it as delivering a pristine Rolls Royce in a cardboard box.

Your website still needs 'quite' a bit of work. If you briefed it into a designer, they could complete it for probably $500-900 depending on your needs. It would look damn good, be available in 1-2 weeks and you could refocus your efforts on your product.

The alternative is to continue seeking feedback, hone your development skills and accept reduced results. This would take some time, but be cheaper in terms of initial outlay (although you miss more sales from the get go).
  14. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Well-Known Member

Your presuming the designer will do better than Linda does. Ive seen some professionally shoking results - not only in web but in many areas. A web designers own website would be a reasonable indication of their best level of work.
    I for one like the site.
  15. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

I would assume you would do due dillegence and ensure you chose a designer that would be able to handle the job. (stearing clear of the companies you know won't deliver)

I agree with David, getting the site done by a pro will allow your message to be communicated effectively and increase sales.
  16. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

Thank you for your feedback. I know how important it is to outsource for other people to do things so that I could concentrate on my core business and what I do best.

When I first started my business I racked up significant expenses getting all my ducks in a row - nice logo, nice stationary, cards, nice office, computer, professional photos....... you name it, before I felt 'comfortable' enough to get out there and try to write business ----- what a lesson I have learnt!!

Now I'm flipping my way of thinking to only reinvest the money I've made from the business into the business. Although the site is not as nice and prof. as I'd like it to be, I'm hoping that it is 'good enough' and when I have more $$, I'll certainly reinvest in the things that will enhance my operations and make my business more professional.

At the moment, I'm hoping that it doesn't look dodgy, untrustworthy, too unattractive as all mentioned in the feedback.

Thanks fellow Soloists, you have helped me not only improve my website, but also feel a little more confident about it too. :)
    2 people like this.
  17. IncredibleCo

IncredibleCo Active Member

Hey Linda, you almost had it. This is for you darlin'.

[​IMG]

I blame fatherhood for having nothing else better to do on a Saturday night!
  18. T J Madigan

T J Madigan Active Member

Hi Linda,

From a sales/marketing perspective...

There is no call to action.
    What do you want people to do when they visit your site?
  19. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

WOW!! That looks absolutely amazingggg (incredible)! Thank you, THANK YOU! :))
  20. gen Y advantage

gen Y advantage Member

A HUGE Thank you to IncredibleCo and everyone for the feedback. I have changed it once more, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. Thank you thank you!! :)