1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

‘Community Reviews’: How things work around here.
    We invite you to canvas the views of the community on your OWN website, business idea, strategy or concept. If the community likes what you’re doing they’ll tell you. The opposite is also true, so be brave!

The more effort you put into your post, the more meaningful the feedback will be. For this reason, please ‘copy and paste’ the following questions into your post, along with your responses:
    1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

Note to reviewers: Always remember the Golden Rule of these forums: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it, and when being critical, be polite. Constructive criticism is welcomed. Destructive criticism, rudeness and anything outside the community guidelines will be removed with offenders risking a ban.

website review appreciated

Discussion in 'Community reviews' started by TRexteriorclean, Apr 25, 2012.

1. TRexteriorclean

TRexteriorclean New Member

Hi All,

I have just had a new website built and would love some feedback. I wrote a lot of the content myself and am by no means a expert content writer and so some tips or suggestions would be great.

http://www.trexteriorclean.com.au
  2. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

Hi,

It's not going to set the world on fire, or win any design awards, but it's serviceable for what I imagined was done quite cheap.

All the content is fine.

Hope it gets you some good business.

Cheers,

Matt
  3. FS Concierge

FS Concierge Administrator Staff Member

Hi Terry,

Good on you for asking for feedback :)

To help reviewers give you the best answers, we'd be grateful if you could please include the answers to the following four questions in this thread:

thanks very much,
    Jayne
  4. andybwallace

andybwallace New Member

Hi Terry,

There's not much content on the Home page. You might want to fill this out a bit more so you have more content that google can read on the page (this helps with rankings).

The content you have on the Services page with the read more link would be a good replacement for dot points you have on the home page after Choose from our extensive range of services:

Also on your Gallery page you might want to make 'before' and 'after' images as one file.

Another thing I noticed was your testimonials sidebar that flashes the different testimonials has repeated testimonials from 'Chris' but with different suburbs, you might want to remove the repeats because it makes them look not legitimate.

Hope this helped,

Andy
  5. Cat - GLC

Cat - GLC Active Member

Hi Terry,

I will give my 2cents worth of suggestions on your website. I am just giving my honest opinion on a few little changes I think will make it read easier from an aesthetics point of view.

*On the home page move "Our service is not complete until you are satisfied with the work carried out." onto a separate line apart from the last sentence.

*In your FAQ page you are missing a few full stops at the ends of sentences. Also I would look into putting a little more space between the different questions so it is easy to recognise what text correlates to which questions.

*Try and write a little more in your about us page as it looks a little scarce, maybe a mission and vision statement or how long you have been in the industry etc.

*When having your phone number around the site make it a little easier to read and remember by placing spaces in-between the numbers such as 0415 754 265 instead of 0415754265.

Anyway that is my 2cents worth.

Regards

Cat :)
  6. lutrov

lutrov Member

As already mentioned, it's a reasonably adequate attempt for something which looks like it was done on a small budget. I think the first impression a lot of people might get is of "cheapness". I don't mean that in a nasty way and of course this could even work in your favour.

I'd like to see some pictures of human beings on your "about" page. Without them, people will trust you less.
  7. TRexteriorclean

Thanks for the feedback so far it is helpful.

To answer the questions Jayne put forward:
    1. What needs reviewing? (i.e. logo, website, idea etc…)
    The website as awhole and the content as these are the parts I am unsure of in terms of there quality and impression on potential customers.
    2. What does your business do?
    The business is essentially and exterior cleaning company doing window cleanign, gutter cleaning pressure washing and external house cleaning.
    3. Who is your target market?
    The target marklet is prodominately residential customers but we do service commercial customers as well,
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

The content and design are the main concerns. The website I believe was a mid priced site, not the most expensive but certainly not the cheapest.

I am interested to know if those that say it looks a little cheap is that from a web designer point of view or an everyday person that may be a prospective customer. If there are any tips on what specifically might give it this appearence perhaps they can be changed.

Thanks
  8. lutrov

lutrov Member

My comments were from the point of view of a web usability professional.

I have been in this industry for over 15 years, so as you can appreciate, I've worked on lots of sites and I've seen thousands and thousands of them. Based on my experience, what you have there is not what I would cite as a "mid priced" site.

But let's not get hung up on prices.

There are a number of things which could be done to improve the usability, first impressions, trustworthiness, and findability of your site. Contact me directly, and I'll be happy to help.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. Indo

Indo Member

Hi Terry

From a non web person point of view the text needs some changing. For example in the first paragraph of your home page which begins "TR Exterior Clean is a..."

For some reason "locally Melbourne owned..." doesn't sound right, I'd remove "locally".
    You have used the word "service(s)" 7 times in that one smallish box of text, 3 times on the second line alone. Go to Thesaurus.com and try to find some alternatives.

Your slogan/ catch phrase which I assume is "Our service is not complete until you are satisfied with the work carried out" could be shortened to make it punchier and easier to remember. A few suggestions:
    We're not satisfied until you are.
    We're not happy until you are.
    Our service is not complete until you're satisfied.

Or you could make the entire slogan more positive "when you're satisfied so are we" or something to that effect.
  10. MatthewKeath

MatthewKeath Well-Known Member

I do run a web design business, but I am also a potential customer.
    Agreed.
    Agreed again.

I think you must have some apprehensions with the site design, as well as the content, if you are posting it here for review.

The content you did yourself, as you are not a copywriter, there is bound to be a few things that are not quite right.

As for the design, you handed that over to a professional.

There are certainly worse sites in your niche. Fix the content as people have suggested here, and you will have a serviceable website. If you goal was to blow people away with the professionalism of the site design and usability, then I am afraid you missed the mark.

Please take these comments in the spirit of which the were intended :)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  11. TRexteriorclean

Thanks again for the help.

I have made some of the changes suggested by Cat and Indo.

And I agree the home page has benefited from Indo's suggestions.

would anyone suggest getting a professional copywriter to add some of the content or is it something I can learn and get better at?
  12. Indo

Indo Member

Hi again Terry

Please do be aware that I am just some guy, not a professional, so if you can afford it I would suggest you get yourself a copywriter if you find yourself unhappy with your own efforts.

With that in mind I think your front page looks a bit sparse now. It's good that you've removed the things I thought looked wrong with the text but it needs to be replaced with something else.
    When I write text for my site I start by listing what points I want to get across, in bullet form in a Word doc. I then flesh it out by putting my points in sentences, again I like to keep it in Word so it checks my spelling.
    I tend to waffle so I leave it for a day or so and when I revisit what I've written I can usually cut it down by about half. Kepp your messages short or people will lose interest. Catch them as quickly as possible, they're busy and they want to know what you can do for them. It's hard when you have a story to tell.

Gotta take my daughter to school!