1. Important: Please read our guidelines and tips for new players before posting, particularly if this is your first time. If looking for answers, start with a search of past topics.

A note on networking events
    This area is intended primarily for general discussions about effective networking.

However, inevitably, individual networking events and networking organisations will be discussed. Please be aware our guidelines are clear on blatant promotion…this is not the place to flog tickets or to advertise events or workshops (even free ones) that are staged primarily to promote your business.

That said we acknowledge that the community benefits from hearing about relevant, professional networking groups and occasionally, particular events. With this in mind we're happy to consider a one-post promotion of a specific event in the ‘Networking events’ area below that clearly outlines its name, location, audience profile and any membership fees.

If your event post is too long (over 200 words) or deemed to be a blatant ticket sales drive - where your interests appear better served than the audience - the post will be removed. Once the date of events has passed, we reserve the right to remove posts.

To help posts get found, we suggest the following title format: [State/suburb:], [Event title and date]
    ie: QLD Burleigh Heads: Social media event, 24 Nov

What makes a GOOD networking organisation?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zoe@innercompass.com.au, Dec 11, 2008.

1. zoe@innercompass.com.au

zoe@innercompass.com.au New Member

Hi there

I've just been elected the President of the Chamber of Women in Business here in Canberra, and am wondering what, in your opinion, makes a GOOD networking organisation?

And what makes BAD one?

What kind of value are you looking for in a face to face networking organisation?

Thanks for your help!

Zoe
  2. Steven Hudson

Steven Hudson Member

Zoe

Congratulations on becoming President,

Good Guest Speaker; I go to one networking function and it is a ‘young’ crowd and very casual and generally not my scene, but they are enthusiastic about what they are doing. I keep going back because they have great guest speakers and I always pick up some info or just good to check the pulse.

Controlled environment to Network; opportunity to speed network, basically, the one minute elevator pitch, say for 15 minutes or a variation of this.

Good Venue; with parking, food and refreshments (for me a good wine list) and a good vibe.

Great Host; I am sure you will tick that box.

Good Luck
  3. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

Congratulations Zoe

Australian Anthill Magazine has a pitch club designed for networking.

The Australian Institute of Management have networking events in the form of guest speakers, breakfast meetings a little refeened for me but interesting
  4. MissieK

MissieK Member

For me, it's good speakers with solid, practical information. The option to bring the kids if I don't have a babysitter.

Breakfasts are no good for Mums - we have to get kids to school!

Easy to find venue with lots of parking.

Good food - especially something I don't normally get at home.

Networking time that is unstructured so we can talk with people on our table or get to make other contacts.

Melissa
  5. Jexley

Jexley Active Member

Congrats there, nice job.

For me, it's all about comfort. If people are comfortable in the environment, they're far more likely to open up to new opportunities. Stick the 5-foot wallflower in the crowded bar surrounded by 6-foot extroverts, and no one is going to know how good they are at usability and design. Drop the noise level and stick them on a couch though, and the ideas flow freely, I've found.

And this is coming from one of those 6-foot extroverts too, heh.

I suppose it's all about knowing the types of folks that you'll be having at your events. And I echo the above sentiments that a great guest speaker can do all of the above. Make folks comfortable as well as give them something to talk about.

Good luck.
  6. LeelaCosgrove

LeelaCosgrove Member

I'll say something that I KNOW will be contentious!

For me - I LOVE networking events that have a FEE involved.

Why?

I've been heavily involved with the professional development / personal development industry for the last 4 years in many capacities - as a private citizen, a hired salesperson and a businessperson in my own right. Something I have noticed is that the free events attract the SAME people over and over again ... and those same people are SO used to getting stuff for free that they don't want to pay for anything.

When there is even a small fee involved, events attract different kinds of people - people who pay for things they see value in.

For me, it's all about mindset.

I don't want to work with people who think they should get everything for free (this attitude particularly confuses me in people who consider themselves entrepreneurs! Right - so people should pay for YOUR service / product ... but you won't pay for theirs?). I want to work with people who value their time and their services and my time and my services.

In my personal experience - the higher the cost for people to be involved, the better, more long-standing contacts and clients I get out of it.

For instance - I've been involved in free events and found that while I get interest in my services, they baulk at the price, complain and disappear.

I have also been involved in a business program that cost $30,000 a year.

I have gotten at least 10 ongoing clients (without even STARTING on referrals!) - who paid back the cost of the program within six months - so the education of the program was basically free.

My ideal clients are people who are willing to pay for a premium service - which is what I offer.

I'm sure other people feel differently - but for me, this is ALL important.
  7. Merlin McCloy

Merlin McCloy New Member

Congratulations Zoe

Leela I totally agree, I think many people have a perception of the quality of the event, in whether payment is required. As an organiser you have more of a commitment from your attendees even if part of this fee is donated to charity. Leela I also think you get a better calibre speaker.

I attend a number of networking functions and get so disappointed in the way functions are organised.

Simple things like allowing too many people attending from the same organisation. Numbering name tags encouraging people to move to the next group by asking people with odd numbered name tags please move and intoduce yourself to someone new. Having introduction people at the door, you ask attendees do you know anyone at our event today, no, then let me take you through to introduce you to some people. Name tags should have the persons First Name much larger than the balance.

A skilled well known speaker generally comes at a cost. Many people enjoy a lounge style (panel) of discussion as it offers a number of varying opinions on a topic of interest.

All the best Zoe, we would love to hear how it all goes.
  8. Lisa Murray - Biz Coach

Lisa Murray - Biz Coach Member

Hi Zoe
    I've been to lots of different networking events over the past six months. A few things stand out as essential:
    • making people feel comfortable when they arrive
    • opportunity for structured networking, preferably a 30 second pitch to the entire room
    • opportunity to share flyers / promotions
    • a sense of humour - these events can be quite serious and boring!
    Also, its good to help participants with their networking skills - teach them good habits and your events will be very effective!

One last thing - set some guidelines about adding people to their email lists - there is nothing more annoying than being added to a weightloss email list when its a service you have no use for whatsoever ;-)

Also, I recently enjoyed a WNA Christmas event where there was a wonderful spirit of giving and goodwill in support of those less fortunate than ourselves - that alone made me want to be a part of it all. Consider choosing a couple of pet projects which your group can assist with...

cheers
    Lisa
  9. Adam Randall

Adam Randall Member

One that will let me in:)

I rang one up the other day and they meet every wednesday morning at the pub that is literally 10 steps from my house, PERFECT.

What do you do? Im in IT, sorry we already have one of those....

For me though its the people who make the club. I think a lot of networking has to do with making friends, and in my own experience, it takes time for people to trust you and approach.

Relaxed, friendly environment with non predatory practices is my favourite. The local BEC is pretty good as is Toastmasters.

My target market is the larger small and medium business, above 30 workstations and a server. I have not found any networking group that has this group of people in any great numbers.
    I actually am trying to work out how to target business of this size, its not easy.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008