1. Why not have your say? To take part in forum conversations Sign In or Join. It’s fast, free and easy!
  2. Golden Rule: Be nice, respectful and avoid self-promotion.
    We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forums around. Check out our full guidelines and tips for new players.

What online backup solution for a PC would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by @HeatherSmithAU, Feb 21, 2017.

1. @HeatherSmithAU

@HeatherSmithAU Active Member

Currently using Carbonite - but Carbonite has advised that as I am living so far from their data hubs I should use something else.

Otherwise they have been great ; - )

Looking for another option.
  2. PowerofWords

PowerofWords Member

Hi Heather,
    Maybe this is not the done thing but I use Google Drive (small paid option) and a Cloud Computing trainer also said that Box was quite good. I found with Drive I can share a folder or files with clients and keep everything online -- set up as an alternative to a hard drive -- accessible from NZ or any phone or tablet.
    I guess its not a back up like a proper back up but then again I dont seem to have run into any problems. If InDesign crashes I make sure that I have a previous copy anyway. However I do have a new Mac, which pretty much means trouble free computing for years.
  3. JohnTranter

JohnTranter Well-Known Member

I do too. At least for my personal stuff (images, videos, music etc.)

All my work related backups are industry specific (e.g. Bitbucket)
  4. bb1

bb1 Renowned Member

I'm still confused by the comment ''I am living so far from their data hubs I should use something else''
  5. @HeatherSmithAU

Their data hubs are in Boston, so to download it back to me my normal speeds of about 120 Mbps reduce to 25 Mbps Bert
  6. @HeatherSmithAU

Any other suggestions for a comprehensive back-up solution for a pC?
  7. VitalityForGamers

VitalityForGamers Member

I use the Business DropBox as it keeps versions of files, in addition to backing up to an external Hard Drives as Cloud systems should never be your only back-up.

I use 3 External Hard Drives; 1 at work, 1 at Home and 1 at parents (different locations for a reason). Do a "Round Robin" every week between 2, and the third every quarter.

Also, I never leave the ext. HD in the computer if it is not backing up...
    Greg_M and Dave - FS Concierge like this.
  8. @HeatherSmithAU

Thanks - yes seems I need to get a external hard drive
  9. Divert To Mobile

Divert To Mobile Renowned Member

Hi Heather,

Crashplan has some nifty features so you can store backups to other more "local" machines as well as to their online servers.

Regarding carbonite, the main objective is to have your data safe, typically the slow point in the online recovery process is the internet connection so anything online will take time to fully recover.

Your other option is to use a NAS, but that wont be storing backups offsite. If you go with a NAS be sure its using at least raid 1, 5 or 6 would be better.

best of luck,

Steve
  10. Anthony Michaud

Anthony Michaud Member

Hi Heather, have you actually established your requirements for your backups? How much data do you have? How long can you be without it in a disaster scenario? If you just lost the PC (theft/hdd/physical damage), how do you envision getting back to work? How do you cover a site disaster (fire / tree falling through roof / theft of all onsite IT / etc.)? If you only had a few GB of data and didn't need it for a day or so, Carbonite could be fine. If you have 1+TB of data and can't go two hours without it, then you obviously can't use Carbonite.

Work out your requirements, worst case scenarios, mitigation against, then apply budgetary constraints is the typical approach I use with my clients.
  11. Simon at SEOm

Simon at SEOm Member

+1 for Dropbox. I have the Dropbox Plus Plan and that's perfect for my work - just running in the background backing up my files whenever a change is made. However it doesn't back up my whole system only my files.

If anything happens, the operating system and software can all be reinstalled but it's the files that can't be as easily recovered. With Dropbox though you just link it up to your new system and all my files are made available again.
  12. Sparrow-Sean

Sparrow-Sean Member

Honestly, backup options are best off the internet, it's what we say to all our consumers, we're happy to host your content and maintain your backups, though as a secondary precaution always maintain your own backup of your own files!

Unfortunately technology can fail and you must always be prepared for that.