Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters

best software for sole trader

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-10-11
Forum newcomer

Default best software for sole trader

Hi there
can anyone give advice on what software would be best for keeping records for a small sole trader hairdressing business. Its mostly for keeping records of invoices . Any ideas?

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-10-11
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: best software for sole trader

Have you thought about starting off by using Excel? You can always move to accounting software later if you feel it's needed.

Wendy

MareeJaeger likes this.
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-10-11
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile

If you're going to be using a book keeper and/or accountant, you're probably best to check with them as they'll usually have a product they prefer to work with.

If you're just gonna do it all yourself, I would recommend MYOB Just Invoices, but you'll find that everyone will have different recommendations based on their own experiences.

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-10-11
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi

The 'best' software is the one that suits your needs best so the most important thing is to consider your needs now, at the end of the financial year and maybe in a years time when youve grown a little. Dont forget you will need your track your expenses too

Make sure you take a look at the cloud solutions like SAASU or Xero which have low startup costs and are easily scalable to your needs.

Happy to give more info on SAASU or Xero if you contact direct

bridiej likes this.
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-10-11
Forum newcomer

Hi,
Another option that we have been moving all our smaller clients to is nominal. Its Australian software with a good local support, they guys there actually listen to their customers and what they want. 90% of the features that we've asked on behalf of our clients are now in the software..

Email me if you want me info.

nominal likes this.
  #6 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-10-11
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hey there- yes I agree with Wendy- infact at the moment I use Excel spreadsheets (I think there are also some on the Victorian Government Business website that you could download and modify according to your needs) linked to my Billing Software. My accountant told me there is no need to complicate things by using anything more. It has suited my needs so far.
Good luck.

Maree.

bridiej likes this.
  #7 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-10-11
Forum newcomer

Hi, i find xero really great. spot on, light , user friendly interface, reconcile is simple and keeping record is also easy and simple.

I myself have small business and dont have strong knowledge when it comes to the accounting and book keeping. when i was searching information about accounting software many ppl told me that it is better off to find a good accountant, but hey,,i am not really there especially when they are asking me to pay 400$ for doing bas each quater(not that it is overpriced, it was way to much when considering size of my business.) and i wanted to know what is going on and wanted to be involved.

And xero was there, recommended by fairly large number of people and i loved it.

hope you find perfect software.!

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-10-11
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I also just use Excel for bookkeeping and find it does the job.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters