Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters

Virtual terminal for one day only

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 08-07-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile
Default Virtual terminal for one day only

Ok I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything specific but please let me know if there is a thread relating to my enquiry.

I will be setting up a pop up stall at a local street festival for my online store. Whilst cash only will do, I really want to provide my customers with the option of credit card payment.

Now I know there are many virtual terminal products out there offering no contacts and per transaction only fees however I want to 'cut through the {insert word here}' and see if anyone has had any experience with a ONE DAY ONLY virtual terminal solution. Who have you used? How did work? Obviously I'm not after an eftpos terminal as such. More smartphone focused or laptop (I can have it set up there with me). I was looking at 'Paypal - Here' but it hasn't been released yet. I don't really want to pay $XX per month to have a virtual service (ie. Paypal Payment Pro etc).

So is there really anything out there that I can utilise for just one day?

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 08-07-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gavin_S
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: Virtual terminal for one day only

Hi Jodie,
I saw a portable terminal in Office Works the other day, I believe the brand was "Mint" and it was marked down to $50. I haven't used it before so couldn't tell you how it works.
I know there are also some iPhone and iPad apps that work as payment gateways.
One other suggestion would be to take your laptop with you. I see your website accepts PayPal, so if you don't find other suitable options then maybe people could purchase through your website while on location. It's a bit clunky but it might serve as a "Plan B"
Good luck!

Gavin

The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin_S For This Useful Post:
Couple It (08-07-12)
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-07-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Trees Eco Store View Post
Ok I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything specific but please let me know if there is a thread relating to my enquiry.

I will be setting up a pop up stall at a local street festival for my online store.
Hi Jodie,

If you are using a Gateway for your store, you might be able to use their Virtual terminal. Most Australian Gateways offer this as part of the package.

Cheers,

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Zebra For This Useful Post:
Couple It (09-07-12)
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-07-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_S View Post
Hi Jodie,
I saw a portable terminal in Office Works the other day, I believe the brand was "Mint" and it was marked down to $50. I haven't used it before so couldn't tell you how it works.
I know there are also some iPhone and iPad apps that work as payment gateways.
One other suggestion would be to take your laptop with you. I see your website accepts PayPal, so if you don't find other suitable options then maybe people could purchase through your website while on location. It's a bit clunky but it might serve as a "Plan B"
Good luck!

Gavin
Thanks Gavin! I had a look and the MiniMint would be perfect except you have to pay an annual or a per month fee. And I don't think it's compatible with iPhones.

I'm thinking the Plan B solution may be the only way to go!

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 09-07-12
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Zebra View Post
Hi Jodie,

If you are using a Gateway for your store, you might be able to use their Virtual terminal. Most Australian Gateways offer this as part of the package.

Cheers,
I'm actually not using a gateway yet and won't until my sales increase. So Paypal for now.

But thank you for your reply!

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-07-12
Forum regular

Maybe look into such things as Kaching from the commonwealth bank, or face book credits however you would still need to look at the pro's and cons of each .....

such as "how secure are they?" , "what do they cost?",

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-07-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_S View Post
Thanks to your post Gavin, I went looking in Officeworks today. Originally selling for $399 four years ago, the young guy who served me said I was the first customer to ever ask for one lol. Explains why the price had dropped to $20 !! Yet another example of the market setting the value.

Wendy

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 12-07-12
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknjay View Post
Maybe look into such things as Kaching from the commonwealth bank, or face book credits however you would still need to look at the pro's and cons of each .....

such as "how secure are they?" , "what do they cost?",
I think Kaching may be the quickest and easiest option. It has the mobile number/face book option. Even an option for 'bumping' the phones together to transfer money. Both people need to have accounts with CBA though.

At least some options are better than none!

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 19-07-12
Forum newcomer

FYI

I just saw this -

CBA - Pi

Doesn't help me at the moment but it's still exciting where we are heading!

Old 19-07-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Had I seen this thread a week ago I would have had a very cheap answer for you. As it is the cost is $19.95 for the unit.

Paymate have a little unit available for a small percentage plus a few cents per transaction. The actual unit normally cost $19.95 but I managed to sneak in under the radar which closed on the 17th July and got it for free. It only arrived today so I have no idea if it works but it hasn't cost me anything. I think it's similar to the Paypal one. Make sure to check if you have a compatible handset or else it's useless.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters