Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters

How much should an accountant charge to lodge an annual payment summary with the ATO?

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-08-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Facebook Profile
Default How much should an accountant charge to lodge an annual payment summary with the ATO?

Hi Everyone,

My accountant has just come back to me with the fee of $330 + GST, it seems a lot when I suspect he can generate what he needs from our accounts system (Xero).

But I'm not sure and I would be interested in feedback- somewhat urgently as it's due next week!

Thank you!

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-08-12
Forum newcomer

Default Re: How much should an accountant charge to lodge an annual payment summary with the

I've just heard from him and he said he was allowing for around an hours work to do this job. Thanks for any feedback

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-08-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: How much should an accountant charge to lodge an annual payment summary with the

$330 sounds normal for someone who knows what they are doing and with whom you can converse? I pay $550 which includes mine and my husband's (which is a simple one for him). It also includes some free advice via emails throughout the year whenever I have a query as to what to put in for tax eg when I purchase a Capital Asset.

Sorry - you just said, Annual Payment Summary? Don't know about that one - I was talking about our annual tax returns which check all my GST payments etc and adjustments as well.

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 10-08-12
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

You can submit the PAYG summary by yourself straight to the ATO using an SBR enabled accounting software.

Last time it took me about a minute to do :-)

If you don't know what SBR enabled software is - see my signature.

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 11-08-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Rach

It sounds like you might need a professional bookkeeper to do your for bookkeeping function and let the accountant charge his $330 per hour for high level professional advice.

As Karen says some people pay $330 to have their tax return done so seems excessive to lodge payment summary

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 11-08-12
Forum newcomer

Thanks everyone- I should have mentioned that it's just for the annual PAYG payment summary not complete end of year.

I checked with another provided and they quoted $150, so I suggested that to my accountant and he was fine with it.

I'll go with that this time and do a bit more homework when I have some time up my sleeve!

Thank you for your replies

Rachel

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 14-08-12
Forum newcomer

Hi Rach

I was asking the same question a while back. Can't remember if I asked it on this website though.

My accountant charges $280 to lodge it, the ASIC annual fee is slightly less. I asked about this and they said it was due to making changes and work performed throughout the year. I had no changes and zero activity with my company throughout the year. They mentioned I can lodge it myself if I want but they will still charge $175 because my company is registered with them.

I am currently looking for a new accountant, not because of that (was one factor though) but a few other reasons too.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters