Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters

Microbrewery startup

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-08-10
Forum newcomer

Default Microbrewery startup

Hi there,

I am looking at starting a microbrewery in the Sydney area which will supply pubs, bottleshops and restaurants. I own much of the equipment required for production and have raised the funds to buy a small factory unit that I have found. I now need some advise on business structure/tax/GST etc before I can proceed.

I would love to hear from any accountants that have experience of start up sole traders/companies buying their own commercial premises especially if they have experience in the brewing/wine industry.

Kind regards
Steve

Last edited by BeerSteve; 24-08-10 at 01:50 PM.
  #2 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-08-10
Forum devotee

View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Re: Microbrewery startup

Just couldnt go past this post.

Congratulations and well done.

I'm sure you will hear from at least one of our Chartered Accountants like Janna of FletcherTax.

You doing a James Squires of the future.

Please keep us all posted, so that once you get off the ground we can support you, consumption wise.

We will need to know the name of your brew and where we can buy it.

So first your new accountant will definately help you get started, then maybe someone from marketing could help you in promoting and showing you how to get known.

So good luck and Bless you my son for leading us out of darkness.

Come on you accountants dont be shy

www.woolsafe.orgGet Your FREE WoolSafe App.Now
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-08-10
Forum regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSteve View Post
Hi there,

I am looking at starting a microbrewery in the Sydney area which will supply pubs, bottleshops and restaurants. I own much of the equipment required for production and have raised the funds to buy a small factory unit that I have found. I now need some advise on business structure/tax/GST etc before I can proceed.

I would love to hear from any accountants that have experience of start up sole traders/companies buying their own commercial premises especially if they have experience in the brewing/wine industry.

Kind regards
Steve

Just like Burgo i couldn’t go past the thread. Congrats on your step forward, and how lucky you are to have equipment PLUS the experience. You already have a solid foundation. Im sure there are plenty of great accountants on the forum who are also willing to help. Here are some essential tips for starting a business from the ATO site. Hope it helps.

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/pat...04#001_003_039

I'm in a similar position as yourself (well sort of) I’m starting my own import and wholesale distribution business of premium imported alcoholic beverages. The business will be servicing clients from the hospitality and liquor industry mainly in the Sydney area. Have you applied for a liquor licence from OLGR yet? I just received my producer/wholesaler licence it took approx 3-4 months to approve once you involve local council DA and local police's OK. It’s a long process so best to apply once you know you’re ready to go.

It seems that you will be servicing only other liquor licensees and not the general public, so you won't need a community impact statement (CIS). IF you are thinking of retail sales from the premises to the general public you may need to obtain a CIS, which could make the process longer. Can’t wait to taste the end product!

Update us on your progress and all the best with your venture !

Last edited by Paul Serra; 24-08-10 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling lol
  #4 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-08-10
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the gang. I have a feeling you're going to be very popular around here

Obviously the first step is to find the right accountant, but after that can we put our hands up to be part of your taste-testing panel?

All the best to you and your new venture - I'll look forward to hearing your updates,
Jayne

I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
  #5 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-08-10
Forum enthusiast

View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hello Steve

I have been casually exploring the potential of plugging a micro brewery into a restaurant concept. It would be the second stage of a DA where the first stage is already approved.

It might be a better alternative to your factory unit and the site is in Sydney

I can also discuss business structures, GST etc with you before you choose your accountant

Let's have a chat

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 24-08-10
Forum newcomer

I think I've just found my new favourite website!

Thank you all for your responses.

Burgo - thanks for your support, I have a few ideas on branding but definitely will be talking with some marketing pros.

Paul - thanks for the link. I haven't applied for my OLGR licence yet. My understanding is I can't do that until I have local council permission which I can't get until I have premises. Following all that I will need to get an ATO Excise licence. Will you be importing from the UK? I will be over there in January without doubt visting breweries and sampling ales. Let me know if I make some recommendations.

Jayne - I've been taking kegs to parties/bbqs and getting pretty good feedback. As my recipes mature maybe I could hand out some free samples at a future Flying Solo event for some unbiased feedback?

Warrenc - Have you visited the 4 Pines Brewery/Bar/Restaurant in Manly set up about 18 months ago? A friend of a friend is part owner and is doing very well by all accounts. I will contact you directly.

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-08-10
Forum fanatic

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

Steve, I can't wait to try it!

And I was just about to suggest 4 Pines to you and Warren as a venue for your get-together. What an awesome idea. Just make sure you don't drive - those brews pack a punch!

Love your work!
Jayne

I'm also a small business marketing consultant and copywriter, and Chief Tree Hugger at Tribe of the Tree flower essences.
  #8 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-08-10
Forum devotee

Send a message via Skype™ to Jake@EmroyPrint
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum and sorry for being another to hijack your thread.

Looking forward to trying out one of your home made brews!!!

I've know a few small time Breweries to make it big (and in quite a short time) so it's definitely possible!

Keep us all posted!

- Jake

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 29-08-10
Forum regular

Hi Steve,

I hope the link has helped in some way, unfortunately i won't be targeting any UK based brews more of the niche South East Asian style of alcohol. I hope you find the premises soon. Keep us updated!

Old 02-10-10
Forum newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Milan

Hi Steve,

would you be open to a meeting, where we can establish, if I can help you with your microbrewery start up. I, recently, came back from the Czech republic, where micro brewing is booming and I would love to be associated with craft beer in Australia. Steve, please let me know.

Regards
Milan
www.brewing-up-adventures.com

Quote:
Hi there,

Kind regards
Steve

Last edited by FS Concierge; 02-10-10 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Money matters