Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Networking > Networking events

Forming Business Networking groups around Melbourne

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-01-10
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Forming Business Networking groups around Melbourne

Hi all,

As mentioned in my last post, I am re-posting this topic in a smarter fashion, hopefully within the guidelines!

Last year... a wonderful human being, Anna, posted about networking groups forming in CBD Melbourne. The reason she wanted to do this was because after attending some more well known networking groups, she felt that action was not happening at these groups and they were way too "clicky". So she posted on here and that started the Biz Networking family.

Our pilot last year had successes and failures, with the main one being charging nothing. You charge nothing, people are not always committed to turning up when they don't necessarily feel they lose something! Though our greatest success was having "challenge sessions", where by we brainstormed a challenge in someone's business to help them improve. Of course lead generation was also a primary goal.

So why am I posting here? Well we would love ALL the feedback in the world about what you think of networking groups.

We are also wanting to establish more groups and have more members.... so whether you just give some feedback, or contact us, either way we really NEED the help of this FS community to help us to our success.

I have to laugh... our motto is "Your Success is Our Success"... which right now is flipped in this post... we could use your wise feedback.

In summary, if you live near Essendon/Moonee Ponds, Melbourne, SE suburbs, Mornington Peninsula... we would love to hear from you about swinging by to see what we are trying to achieve to help small business owners across Melbourne and hopefully across Australia in the future.

Regards,
Glenn West
Co-Founder
www.biznetworking.com.au

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 20-01-10
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: Forming Business Networking groups around Melbourne

Hi Glenn,

I'm interested in coming along to a networking group, however I really don't want to have to travel too far - I live in Berwick, so Dandenong would be about as far as I would be prepared to travel. I have 2 small children and my husband works in the city (relying on public transport to get home!!) so if the location and time suit, then I would love to come.

Regards,

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 23-01-10
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Hi Glenn,

I'm interested in coming along to a networking group, however I really don't want to have to travel too far - I live in Berwick, so Dandenong would be about as far as I would be prepared to travel. I have 2 small children and my husband works in the city (relying on public transport to get home!!) so if the location and time suit, then I would love to come.

Regards,
Hi Barb,

At this point in time your closest group will be the Chadstone area.

If that doesn't suit, try to make it to our Networking Event night on 10th FEb 2010..... I am guessing most businesses will gets LOTS of contacts out of this, as well as some really useful information to help your business.

Buzz me anytime if you wanted to discuss it a little further.

Regards,
Glenn West
Co-Founder
Biz Networking
www.biznetworking.com.au

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 15-02-10
Forum newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to Nicole Edgar
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Barb,

Last week, I attended my first local networking event in Berwick, run by "Women Making It Work" or "WMIW" for short. They cater towards businesses in the Casey/Cardinia areas, and they usually have monthly breakfast meetings.

I have to say that I was impressed...there were 53 people there - a record for them, and within a short timeframe of 1.5hrs, we all introduced ourselves, our businesses, and quickly summarised what we did, plus we had guest speakers giving out networking tips.

It only costs $99 annually to become a member, plus approx. $15-$20 per breakfast meeting, for breakfast!

I got a lot out of it, in a short space of time, and like you, I have young kids, and didn't want to travel far (I'm based in Narre Warren South).

They have both Facebook & LinkedIn business profiles, so have a look.

I hope that helps you.

Regards,
Nicole

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 16-02-10
Forum regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Edgar View Post
Hi Barb,

Last week, I attended my first local networking event in Berwick, run by "Women Making It Work" or "WMIW" for short. They cater towards businesses in the Casey/Cardinia areas, and they usually have monthly breakfast meetings.

I have to say that I was impressed...there were 53 people there - a record for them, and within a short timeframe of 1.5hrs, we all introduced ourselves, our businesses, and quickly summarised what we did, plus we had guest speakers giving out networking tips.

It only costs $99 annually to become a member, plus approx. $15-$20 per breakfast meeting, for breakfast!

I got a lot out of it, in a short space of time, and like you, I have young kids, and didn't want to travel far (I'm based in Narre Warren South).

They have both Facebook & LinkedIn business profiles, so have a look.

I hope that helps you.

Regards,
Nicole
Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the information about "Woman Making it Work". I have looked into few local networking groups, this being one of them, however haven't yet made the plunge to join any as yet.

I am also contemplating starting up my own networking group, which I'm looking into at the moment.

Thanks again and maybe I'll see you at a local network group soon!!

Regards,

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 03-03-10
Forum newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the information about "Woman Making it Work". I have looked into few local networking groups, this being one of them, however haven't yet made the plunge to join any as yet.

I am also contemplating starting up my own networking group, which I'm looking into at the moment.

Thanks again and maybe I'll see you at a local network group soon!!

Regards,
Hi Barb

We are having our March breakfast next week - Thursday 11th March at the Eating House in Lynbrook

To encourage guest to come along, we are offering non-members the member price for this month so its only $20 - the normal non-member price is $30

If you would like any further information or would like to book, visit www.wmiw.com.au - bookings close 5th March

Thanks Nicole for the great feedback too!!

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 07-03-10
Forum newcomer

Hi Glenn,

I am interested in joining your business networking groups.
I already have registered myelf on biznetworking.

Regards

Manoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepitSimpleIT View Post
Hi all,

As mentioned in my last post, I am re-posting this topic in a smarter fashion, hopefully within the guidelines!

Last year... a wonderful human being, Anna, posted about networking groups forming in CBD Melbourne. The reason she wanted to do this was because after attending some more well known networking groups, she felt that action was not happening at these groups and they were way too "clicky". So she posted on here and that started the Biz Networking family.

Our pilot last year had successes and failures, with the main one being charging nothing. You charge nothing, people are not always committed to turning up when they don't necessarily feel they lose something! Though our greatest success was having "challenge sessions", where by we brainstormed a challenge in someone's business to help them improve. Of course lead generation was also a primary goal.

So why am I posting here? Well we would love ALL the feedback in the world about what you think of networking groups.

We are also wanting to establish more groups and have more members.... so whether you just give some feedback, or contact us, either way we really NEED the help of this FS community to help us to our success.

I have to laugh... our motto is "Your Success is Our Success"... which right now is flipped in this post... we could use your wise feedback.

In summary, if you live near Essendon/Moonee Ponds, Melbourne, SE suburbs, Mornington Peninsula... we would love to hear from you about swinging by to see what we are trying to achieve to help small business owners across Melbourne and hopefully across Australia in the future.

Regards,
Glenn West
Co-Founder
www.biznetworking.com.au

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 16-03-10
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Trish FCA

Hi Glenn,

I'd be interested in joining and you're on my side of town too!!! Most networking groups out this way already have bookkeepers so that excludes me as a member. I've been to a couple of breakfasts as a guest and love it.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Trish Jones
First Class Accounts - Craigieburn.

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 17-03-10
Forum newcomer

Send a message via MSN to Watotech Send a message via Skype™ to Watotech
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Glenn

I would be interested in joining one of your groups.
Do you have any in the Essendon area yet ?

http://www.watotech.com.au
Old 26-03-10
Forum newcomer

Hi Glenn,

I am an inhouse counsel for a group of companies and also run a private practice in the areas of Commercial/Corporate and Property Law.

I would be interested in joining one of your networking groups if there is room for a lawyer.

Thanks
Christine Lau
ccylau@bigpond.net.au

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Networking > Networking events