Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

Impact of Bad Weather

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-05-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile
Default Impact of Bad Weather

I've always been interested in the relationship with bad weather, of the kind we have seen in Melbourne today, and sales / footfall.

I imagine that retail sales are impacted, coffee shops are quieter and restaurants have less bookings. But I have some questions that I'd appreciate peoples thoughts and opinions on:

Has anyone invested in trying to counter act bad weather? Outside covers, awnings or heaters? Do you get a return on investment on this expense?

Should councils invest in covering whole areas of shopping districts to protect footfall? Would people shop if they could stay dry on horrible days? If so, would it generate enough sales to cover the cost?

Do office based, business-to-business notice the same ? Is there a malaise stopping people from calling or doing business when it is dark and horrible outside?

It may be that it is simply better to get your paperwork done that day and not worry too much about sales...

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-05-12
Forum enthusiast

Default Re: Impact of Bad Weather

We actually had the opposite in Sydney earlier in the year. After a whole load of weekends being rained out when we finally got a nice Saturday (our busiest day) it was quiet. I assumed everyone wanted to make the most of finally getting a good Saturday.

www.shop1auto.blogspot.com/
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 25-05-12
Forum fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewKeath
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: Impact of Bad Weather

Well, we went to the shopping center to get some things that had an undercover parking area, rather than our regular shopping center, so I guess that got more business today.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing