Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

New Service - How to approach a different kettle of fish?

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default New Service - How to approach a different kettle of fish?

Over the past 2 years, we have grown our direct mail business with a very specific target audience of real estate agents. Over this time, we have been frequently asked about providing a letterbox drop service.

I have always been strongly against it, is to make it cost effective meant leaflets had to be bundled with the likes of the BigW,ALDI,Dominos brochures, and so small business messages were lost.

So we finally came up with a concept, that offers both value for money, and integrity to the advertising piece.

What we are going to provide is a letterbox service, where 6 LOCAL businesses will each have their own double sided DL flyer, printed on quality stock in colour. All 6 will then be inserted into an envelope and delivered to residents within a local suburb area. This means that the messages are relevant to the resident, and the advertisers are getting their message across stronger than being somewhere inside a huge bundle of magazines. Yes, it is still letterbox drops, but with only local businesses being allowed to advertise.

Now, my question after that elongated explanation is this: Having only worked with those businesses in the real estate industry, this new service requires us to deal with businesses such as restaurants, hairdressers, gyms, electricians and so on. How do I best approach them with this service, being that these businesses may often not have a structured marketing plan or advertising budget?

Also, any feedback on the service welcome too.

Thanks

Cat - GLC likes this.
  #2 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum enthusiast

Default Re: New Service - How to approach a different kettle of fish?

We have something kind of similar here - a local print company has 3 advertisers on a DL card flyer. You get a third of the space and they bundle like businesses together (so for example, a real estate agent, a property stylist and a carpet cleaner).

For a set cost, it is printed and delivered in the suburb you specify.

From memory, it was quite cost effective.

The biggest problem I would see with your idea is that people like me (and those in the unit block) wouldn't even open the envelope - they just get tossed away - whereas a flyer just might catch your eye.

#3 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Nikita
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Youtube Profile View Member's Twitter Profile View Member's Google+ Profile View Member's pinterest Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentMail View Post
What we are going to provide is a letterbox service, where 6 LOCAL businesses will each have their own double sided DL flyer, printed on quality stock in colour. All 6 will then be inserted into an envelope and delivered to residents within a local suburb area.
There are 2 services like that in my area - Yellow Envelope http://www.yellowenvelope.com.au - that goes straight to the rubbish bin, no one likes to open envelopes.
And the second one is: http://www.letterboxdeals.com.au/ - better format A5 stitched together - that one works (sometimes).

However, the issue is that they have the same advertisers all the time and after opening the second one you will realise that there is nothing new inside. So the third one will go to bin as well. They also don't limit to local businesses (you can see optus, vistaprint, etc) - however, that might be Your point of difference.

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-12
Forum newcomer

i get the bundled envelopes of flyers all the time and i just throw them away.

Personally, i think a business will have more chances and success for any targeted audience simply by mailing a single double-sided flyer, at least when i am throwing it away, i can still see the contends which then i might be interested instead of bundling up everything and the inside's are never seen.

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-12
Forum regular

Send a message via Skype™ to AdvancedPetSitting
View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Google+ Profile

I agree with everyone. I also receive those bundled envelopes and have opened them only once. After that - straight in the garbage.

I think the problem is that we receive so much junk mail almost every day that we don't even bother looking for something new. And a lot of small and micro businesses know that and are reluctant to pay for a service like this.

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-12
Forum regular

View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

I might be interested in advertising if you go ahead. Let me know how you go.

#7 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-12
Forum regular

http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...onth-hero.html

Here's a 27page thread on this concept. Has some very useful stuff, and some not so

#8 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-12
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile

Hi Guys,

I don't know if I should clarify. This is not going to be a big colourful envelope - it will be a plain white envelope, with 'Postage Paid' on it, and it will look just like an ordinary letter. The aim is for it to make it into the house.

The overall cost for the business is very effective, but I don't want to preach to anyone, each person will make their own mind up.

It is different from the Yellow Envelope, in that 1. It is only available to local businesses 2. It is not in a brochure form, each business has their own d/sided flyer and 3. You do not have to subscribe to their entire distribution area, which is an investment of $5,000+ depending on the area.

I guess I should have not focused on the service, as what I was really hoping to get was an idea about how best to approach businesses in the fields I mentioned. I was thinking of speaking to them in person, but was unsure if that was a bit invasive. I do it for my real estate customers, but I don't know how it would go down for businesses like hairdressers, restaurants etc.

#9 (Link to this post)  
Old 27-06-12
Forum regular

Hi Agentmail,

I would suggest approaching a small handful personally first or via a phone call and offer them a deal at a discounted price. After that it will be easier to convert if you can provide future customers with a case study or examples of businesses that already use services.

I still think the best method is to individually approach and call the businesses in the short term. Do a search on the local listings like tru local or white pages. Once you have strong enough messages you can do a mass marketing campaign through direct mail or similar.

Thanks for reading,

Wendy Huang - Co-founder of SavvySME - A new social platform for small businesses

AgentMail likes this.
Forum devotee

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi there,

Firstly - you mentioned local business rather than BigW, Aldi and the like... what if these 'big' businesses are also in your local area? You will need to be sure it's all carefully worded around that point so the 'real' local businesses know that the larger ones won't be in their advertising space etc.

As to approaching them - how about a double-sided DL colour flyer, in an envelope, delivered to them? The flyer could actually point out "see, it works" - because they will have opened it. If you can promote to them in precisely the way you intend to for them, demonstrating that it does get opened and read this might convince them to sign up? You could hand deliver it (which of course will give it a higher chance of being opened) or even slip under the doors of their businesses etc.

Just a thought.,
All the best with it

AgentMail likes this.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing