Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing

Marketing an accounting service

Link to this thread Thread tools Search this thread
  #1 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Linkedin Profile
Default Marketing an accounting service

Hi all,
I have a question in relation to marketing my service.

As a firm, we have decided that we want to do more than just tell our clients their profit figure and tax payable at year end, which is a service many accountants deliver.

We have developed a spreadsheet for our business clients which studies trends based on the data in the profit and loss statement and balance sheet. This means we open lines for discussion, as the client can instantly see that thier average debtor days is increasing, or it is taking them longer to turnover stock each year, and numerous other ideas come out of this.

This gets me fantastic referral work from existing clients, as they love the ideas that come out of this type of work. However, I am having trouble with actually conveying this to potential clients, apart from people who I sit down an chat with. So these are generally in my network already.

So, my question is, how is the best way to get the message out to people who do not know me?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

#2 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum fanatic

Default Re: Marketing an accounting service

I think testimonials, and focus your advertising on your point of difference.
Maybe something beginning with
"would it be usefull to know..."

A landline number that diverts to your mobile.
www.diverttomobile.com.au 02 9191 7300
  #3 (Link to this post)  
Old 26-06-12
Forum regular

View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Usually the way I would start simplifying what the benefits are.

1. We provide you with valuable insights from your data that can improve the performance of your business.

e.g. 1 (case study here)

etc.

Something like that. You usually break it down to 3 areas and benefits and back it up with some results. That's usually the easiest way to convince a customer

Would love to hear what you come back with!

Thanks for reading,

Wendy Huang - Co-founder of SavvySME - A new social platform for small businesses

#4 (Link to this post)  
Old 29-06-12
Forum newcomer

View Member's Linkedin Profile

Great suggestions. I like the "provide valuable insights....." bit, its well worded.

I am also going to look at some testimonials for clients.

I am just finding it easy to actually get the information across to face to face meetings and people in my network, but i the cold calling side, people don't want to even get to that point in the conversation.

Tricky one! Thanks heaps for your feedback.

Paul

#5 (Link to this post)  
Old 18-07-12
Forum newcomer

It is always harder when trying to sell a service rather than a product too. Have you considered contacting people / businesses who have been your clients previously? Possibly renewing the business relationship

#6 (Link to this post)  
Old 19-07-12
Forum regular

View Member's Facebook Profile View Member's Linkedin Profile View Member's Twitter Profile

Hi Paul

I would do some market analysis on keywords that are likely to be used by business owners who could use your services, and produce some case studies e.g. "cash flow management", "business plan" or whatever

Even better would be real client testimonials with specific figures.

Then set up pay per click campaigns based on these keywords that are limited to your geographic catchment area. Link the ads to the actual case studies with a call to action for more information.

If you do this correctly your prospect will be pre-sold. Cold calling is very inefficient and sooo last century

Last edited by Tony Pfitzner; 19-07-12 at 10:01 AM.

Go Back   Small business forum Australia > Today's hot topics > Sales & marketing